Dodge 95' Cummins Expedition build

D

DEEZLPWR

Those are nice, but to much for somebody on unemployment.
Plus I want to keep my topper on so I can sleep in the back.

I guess I will have to make an swing out tire carrier on the back.

either way you mount the tiregate you can still put a topper on. I am going to be doing this and riveting a zipper to the bottom of the topper rear window and have a canvas flap that will zip all around as a psuedo tailgate. i will be using it as a sleeper shell as well. it also provides a good place to mount backup lights.

but yes i understand the unemployment thing.. been there hated it.

Scott39

Adventurer
either way you mount the tiregate you can still put a topper on. I am going to be doing this and riveting a zipper to the bottom of the topper rear window and have a canvas flap that will zip all around as a psuedo tailgate. i will be using it as a sleeper shell as well. it also provides a good place to mount backup lights.

but yes i understand the unemployment thing.. been there hated it.

Do you have a web link to the tire gate, and where to buy one?

I do have a welder, and I have did some of my own fab work also.
Maybe I can copy it.:sombrero:

D

DEEZLPWR

i got mine from 4wheel parts, i researched and the price is around the same everywhere. if you do order from 4wheel ensure to order it online as they fugged my order up and admitted it (ordered it at the counter) they reordered the right parts and took out stuff thinking i didnt need it, they didnt realize the 01, and 02 may look the same but there are differences. i was real pissed about it too.. but worth the money either way.

http://www.tiregate.com/

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-...t_s=351&t_pt=3902&t_pl=6240&t_pn=T/GD80014-PR

$895 before tax for your year.

Scott39

Adventurer
I finally started my bed drawer system, not really, just a bed slide, and I will put totes on it strapped down.
It is a cheaper design, and it extends all the way out of the truck, so I can get to the things in the front easily.

Plus it can hold 1200 pounds when it is all the way out.
I bought it off of the great craigslist for about half the price of a new one, plus it is almost like new.:sombrero:

Now I just need to clean all the dust out of the back of my truck.

Time to build my bed over the bed slide. I will probably build the bed just below the bed rails.

2hzn679.jpg

2agrcxg.jpg

18ge4m.jpg

2m31dgm.jpg

ffbhg0.jpg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
First off cummins are great, I had a 98.5 spooled in the rear and limited slip in the front and it went everywhere, aslong as my transfercase stayed in one piece.

Second, your better off just building a bumper with a swing out tire carrier on it. The body mounted carrier suck. The tiregates are not worth the asking price, and unless they have fixed their mounting design, I've seen 3 of their carriers rip/fall off of rigs.
Plus with a topper, why go with a tiregate? Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me.

I ran mine 4" exhaust all the way out, no muffler no cat and loved the power difference.

What kind of air filter are you running?

Scott39

Adventurer
First off cummins are great, I had a 98.5 spooled in the rear and limited slip in the front and it went everywhere, aslong as my transfercase stayed in one piece.

Second, your better off just building a bumper with a swing out tire carrier on it. The body mounted carrier suck. The tiregates are not worth the asking price, and unless they have fixed their mounting design, I've seen 3 of their carriers rip/fall off of rigs.
Plus with a topper, why go with a tiregate? Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me.

I ran mine 4" exhaust all the way out, no muffler no cat and loved the power difference.

I plan on putting a 33 inch spare under the bed, if I need it, I will put it on the front, I have a LSD in the rear.
I`ve run smaller spares before, it`s not a big deal.
If I go to 38" tires, I will build a rear spare carrier, I will remove the bumper and build my own off the frame.
I`m running an AEM filter, I noticed a big difference when I put it on.

I might be changing the plans for this truck next year. My wife and I, might get a camping trailer. So the topper would come off, and I will put on a tonneau cover with a bed rack that I will build.

The bed rack will be just above the cab kinda like this one.
I will use marine plywood to make a floor in the rack. When we go on a quick camp trip, we will just throw our tent up on the rack, plus have room for like a little patio to walk out over the cab or, the other way around.
Same idea as a RTT, but my tent isn`t mounted, a lot cheaper and versatile. I can still put my canoe and kayak up top.

10wmbys.jpg

Last edited:

UrbanCummin

Diesel Mechanic
Multi mount Winch, I do have a new winch setting in the box from my rock crawler. I dont know why people want front and rear winches, to much weight, and money.

Get stuck in some waist deep mud and try to wrestle that pig out of there, then walk to the back of the truck trying not to slip in the muddy ruts that you can't see because they are under water then try to put that winch back in the reciever which is also under water and packed full of mud. That is why some people (me included) like front and rear winchs, at some points swaping a winch over can be a huge pain in the butt, and at other times it is impossible.

Scott39

Adventurer
Get stuck in some waist deep mud and try to wrestle that pig out of there, then walk to the back of the truck trying not to slip in the muddy ruts that you can't see because they are under water then try to put that winch back in the reciever which is also under water and packed full of mud. That is why some people (me included) like front and rear winchs, at some points swaping a winch over can be a huge pain in the butt, and at other times it is impossible.
I hear ya. But before I hit the trail, I will put the winch on. If I know there is mud, and before I drive through it, I will determine if I what the winch on the front or rear, and it depends on if I`m with another rig or not.

D

DEEZLPWR

i have a tiregate and have had no issues and if you have the money i think the price is reasonable as i dont have welding equipment and such. I think its a good investment.

Kilroy

Adventurer
I've had a bed slide for about 4 years and they're great. Was starting to hate having a pickup for work before installing. You do lose some headroom, but it's worth it.

I finally started my bed drawer system, not really, just a bed slide, and I will put totes on it strapped down.
It is a cheaper design, and it extends all the way out of the truck, so I can get to the things in the front easily.

Plus it can hold 1200 pounds when it is all the way out.
I bought it off of the great craigslist for about half the price of a new one, plus it is almost like new.:sombrero:

Now I just need to clean all the dust out of the back of my truck.

Time to build my bed over the bed slide. I will probably build the bed just below the bed rails.

2hzn679.jpg

ffbhg0.jpg

Kilroy

Adventurer
Couple of years ago I'm tooling down this forest trail and start into an innocent looking grassy area. Quickly sunk to the axles. Going forward was not an option at all. It was truly a pain to get out with a front winch. (Lucky there were trees around.) It was a pain, but at least I had the winch to get out. (Would pull the truck sideways with the winch while keeping the front wheels spinning. Sort pulls at a time, kept changing trees. Eventually pulled back out.) With a rear winch 3.5 hours would have been about 1/2 hour.

I believe if you really like to "explore" on your on, a rear winch is a very, very good thing to have. That being said, still saving up for one.

I hear ya. But before I hit the trail, I will put the winch on. If I know there is mud, and before I drive through it, I will determine if I what the winch on the front or rear, and it depends on if I`m with another rig or not.

Scott39

Adventurer
Nice set up!

Thanks, I can`t wait to get it done.

Couple of years ago I'm tooling down this forest trail and start into an innocent looking grassy area. Quickly sunk to the axles. Going forward was not an option at all. It was truly a pain to get out with a front winch. (Lucky there were trees around.) It was a pain, but at least I had the winch to get out. (Would pull the truck sideways with the winch while keeping the front wheels spinning. Sort pulls at a time, kept changing trees. Eventually pulled back out.) With a rear winch 3.5 hours would have been about 1/2 hour.

I believe if you really like to "explore" on your on, a rear winch is a very, very good thing to have. That being said, still saving up for one.

98-99% of my wheelin is here in Colorado and parts of Moab.
Here in the Rocky Mountains, you hardly ever find enough mud to get your truck dirty. I haven`t had a winch with the wheelin I`ve been doing for 26 years.
If I lived in a state or country with more mud, then I would run a rear winch.
And if I build me a rock crawler, then I might run a rear winch, just in case I need to pull the broken rock crawler onto the trailer:sombrero:

Last edited:

Scott39

Adventurer
A little update on my rig, I have not did much, because I'm still unemployed, and my wife and I started taking care of her sons two children, 2 and 3 year old little girls that were abused.
How can anybody abuse a 2 and 3 year old child?

Anyhow, I sold my free topper I got off of Craigslist for $150, and I found the topper I needed/wanted for $350, but I got it for $300, so I really only paid $150 for my new topper, for mathematically challenged out there, like me sometimes,lol!
This Topper is a highrise, but it is level all the way back. My other topper was a highrise, but it was a slope, low in the front, and it went higher in the back. Plus the old topper had two missing windows up front, and the rear door shocks did not work. My new topper, everthing works, PLUS the side windows open, which is a big plus.
The old topper was a bad design for my canoe rack, so my rack would not lift the front of my canoe up enough in the front to clear my cab, the canoe would hit the cab.
But with the new topper, my rack will work fine for the canoe.:wings:

So we went wheeling the other day to try it out.
And I can hang with my buddys built FJ40, these pictures are my stock Dodge, except the 35" tires, and a 2.5" level kit up front, I flex as good as he does. He had to lock in both of his ARB"s in a section to keep up with me.

4zvvig.jpg

ngsxti.jpg

256z8ue.jpg

27zcc43.jpg

This is Mount Evans in the upper right corner of this picture.

2f0dr1g.jpg

Mount Evans Straight ahead in this picture.

5dm7v5.jpg

Last edited:
D

DEEZLPWR

looks good man, next year me and a friend are going to do a week expedition in moab, out in the boonies where no one it. your more than welcome to come along. ill post when it will happen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior