Going back to Moab soon--27-29OCT or 3-5NOV

More hiking, camping, wheeling. Just throwing the idea around at the moment, weather looks good for the coming weekend, and with any luck the truck will be back in one piece and ready for the dirt :).

Any interest?

Photos from the trip several weekends ago are here. Anyone interested in hiking, wheeling and camping is welcome...stock vehicles should be fine, the white Tundra in the photos is stock. The plan is mostly hiking, the wheeling is just to get a little farther off the beaten path.

-Sean

bumpitty.

looks like this coming weekend (3-5nov) if anyone is interested, as long as i swap the starter in time.

potentials if there are a couple vehicles are horse canyon (needles), hey joe canyon (mmm, old uranium mine), and lockhart basin (needles to moab). there are a few trails near the sand flats that look good as well, and around central moab.

if i dont swap the starter...or even if i do...would anyone be interested in going mtn biking out there, along with some wheeling and camping? i just got my ronin fork and it needs to be properly worked in :D.

-sean

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
devinsixtyseven said:
i just got my ronin fork and it needs to be properly worked in :D.
What are those Magura forks hooked to? They sound like some fancy shocks for sure!

Last edited:
air spring on one leg, high/low compression damping and rebound damping on the other leg. i'm pretty sure this fork is more adjustable than the swayaways on my truck :p. it rides uphill and on flats like a rigid bike, and it's plush on the downhills...great fork. i'm very impressed so far with the quality of magura's components...ive been running their caliper in the rear and a 180mm marta sl in the front for about a year and a half, and it's the best modulation i've ever had on a set of brakes.

one way or another i'm going to moab this weekend, planning on doing an out/back on porcupine rim with the mtb if we dont take the truck, and if we do...i'll still be on the bike at some point. klondike bluffs looks like great fun, i've driven it twice and now i'm jonesing for some pedal action there, plus the connector route between tower and klondike offers some great tech+vert pedal action.

if you'd ever be interested in a combination of riding and wheeling, i'd be down...a lot of the trails in moab are ridable as well as driveable, and offer the same sort of rolling tech that i was recently riding on the east coast. they probably also ride a lot quicker than they drive :D.

-sean

Hang on, keep this thread in here one more weekend, we're going back :D.

So...we headed to Moab for a weekend of exploration on the mountain bikes, with an eye out for good routes for next weekend. I had the pleasure of really getting a chance to dial my new suspension fork, and Katie got to ride some of the hardest, most technical MTB terrain in the world.

We only had time for two routes, but had a great time on both--She learned some new technique, and I got back in shape ;). Saturday was the tech/vert Amasa Back 4WD route, Sunday was the easy Monitor/Merrimac loop.

Amasa Back is now the most fun I've had on a mountain bike...the only thing I can think of that would be similar would be a combination of the tech at Laurel Highlands and the vert at Tsali. Ledges, drops, steep slickrock, narrow ramps on knife-edge rocks, boulders everywhere, small patches of sand, all of it laid over a rolling vertical line that reaches from about the level of Kane Creek to the top of the mesa. It's also a 4WD route (lockers, full skids, sliders, very large tires, winch, excellent access angles, quarter panel protection, low cg, excellent articulation, etc) but the difficulty of the route looks like bikes will outpace vehicles here. We had a great time playing on the ledges...depending on speed, location, following obstacles, and height, they could be dropped, jumped or just ridden down. Some of the largest could only be dropped by a very skilled rider (not I), or on a long-travel full suspension frame. Several times I got the full 110mm of compression from the new fork. The bumps on the route, and the abuse I was putting the bike through, loosened the quick-release retaining bolt on my rear magura caliper brake enough that the q/r cam was halfway backed off by the end of the day, and one of Katie's stem clamp bolts was very loose. It's worth checking everything at the top of the climb, and then again afterward.

The Monitor/Merrimac loop is an easy cruiser that leads up to a slickrock expanse full of ledges, jumps, bowls, kickers, rollers, and tight technical lines, for miles in every direction. The actual loop is very clearly marked in white dashed lines and cairns, and leads past the old stagecoach stop as well as the dinosaur bones (mostly vandalised now), around a very interesting horseshoe-shaped butted. A sandy wash spur leads up to Monitor and Merrimac, and provides access to Determination Towers. This is the area near Gemini Bridges, where we'll be headed next weekend with the truck if anyone wants to join us.

-Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94