Steering wheel is gunky...need to cover it

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
My steering wheel gets kinda sticky, gunky on a hot day, so I need to stop that somehow.

Anyone recommend a product I can get @ costco, Pep boys, etc...something in the $10-30.00 range?

I could just get a new wheel, but I'm sure a cover will last a long time and solve the problem...

No real preference on material, color, etc...

Stay away from the neoprene cover type. I had mine pop on the seam in a hot car during summer. Not that it's a huge deal, only a $20 piece. But still you would think it would be put together well enough not to break apart at the glue when it gets warm.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I like to scrounge the salvage yards for a better wheel. Many OEM leather wrapped wheels can be found. I like the leather as my hands don't get as fatigued and sweaty.
GM has some padded leather steering wheel covers that I have also found in the salvage yards. Nice for big hands. These just slip over the stock wheel. I tried one on mine and really like the size now. My wheel was already leather wrapped. and so is this cover.

I have tried the tie on covers in the past to cover a sticky wheel. They always move around and end up being a mess in the end.

I would suggest finding a wheel that you like better. Sometimes a little smaller overall diameter can make a big difference. The same goes for the grip diameter. Little changes can make a nice difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior