ARB Simpson III Review

cobb ridge

Observer
how would one go about using the changing room on a tent mounted at this height? would you have to cut and sew it to the proper height? it appears too long to use the changing room with my trailer. appox 50" high.

this post refers to the first post in the thread made by cojeeper

Last edited:

tyv12

Adventurer
Arb

I have an arb simpson 3, used it maybe 3 times now, seems like a good tent except I have the same zipper problem as listed before, contacted arb and they sent me a new cover but now a few teeth on the tent side of the zipper have broken so i have to call them and see what they say about that. As a tent it is awesome but the cover zipper and fit could definately be better.

Romer

Adventurer
I have an arb Simpson 3, used it maybe 3 times now, seems like a good tent except I have the same zipper problem as listed before, contacted arb and they sent me a new cover but now a few teeth on the tent side of the zipper have broken so i have to call them and see what they say about that. As a tent it is awesome but the cover zipper and fit could definitely be better.

Just got done taking my ARB Simpson III out for the first time. I thought the tent set up quick and its a great product

I also had the zipper problem. I should have used the zipper wax first. The biggest problem I had was getting it started. Hard to pull on the zipper and hold the bottom piece tight so it doesn't move. I'll have to play with that. Have those with the new cover head better results? I had troubles getting the zipper around the tight corners the first night, the second time I used it, I worked the alignment a bit better. Like I said, the hardest part was getting it started. Took my multiple attempts and close to 20 minutes. Could be I am just uncoordinated

The straps across the top broke in the 20 deg cold weather. I called ARB and they are sending me 3 new straps

I found the mattress to be way to firm. I'm a side sleeper and I had all kinds of pains. I have a sleeping bag foam pad I will bring next time.

Tucking in the tent when its all folded is a challenge. Figured doing the big stuff and just letting the rest sit under the cover away from the zipper worked ok.

It may seem like I am complaining a lot, but I liked the setup. I'll figure out ways to make the zipper easier and the foam on the mattress will help. Wonder if there is an upgrade to the mattress? Know that having to fold in half makes it so it cant be too thick. The mattress in The Eziawn Globetrotter I had was amazing, but the mattress didn't fold so it was easy for them to have a thicker mattress.

Overall A- Setup in less than 5 minutes, Pack away took me 30 mostly due to the stupid zipper

My test area was the White Rim Campground, Canyon lands and the Maze for 5 nights last week. Beautiful place

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Zipper wax is your friend Romer, it makes a huge difference in the ease of use and stowage. I'm a big fan of zipper wax, I first started using it on stubborn fridge transit bag zippers and now use it on just about ever zipper I own sans my pants :D

My rule, if stowing a RTT takes more time to pack than my ground tent... I'm selling it. With my SIIIB I'm well under 5 minutes to open or close. :cool:

Romer

Adventurer
Zipper wax is your friend Romer, it makes a huge difference in the ease of use and stowage. I'm a big fan of zipper wax, I first started using it on stubborn fridge transit bag zippers and now use it on just about ever zipper I own sans my pants :D

My rule, if stowing a RTT takes more time to pack than my ground tent... I'm selling it. With my SIIIB I'm well under 5 minutes to open or close. :cool:

Thanks Kurt. I asked ARB the same question and they sent me the following reply "we've had good luck with mountain bike chain lube. It's designed to not attract dirt and works well on the zippers" I ordered the zipper wax last night and I'll pick up the mountain bike chain lube so I have both to try

Without the zipper issues, closing is pretty easy. Probably some operator error in there

Romer

Adventurer
Been thinking about this and figured part of the difficulty was how I placed the tent on my roof. I had it mounted forward with the fuel cans mounted behind the tent, so I had to stand on the tire and work it from the side in an akward position. If I mounted it back and put the fuel cans forward, then I could stand on the rear bumper and have easier access to the zipper and not trying to balance on the tire working it from the back rather than the side

Romer

Adventurer
Called ARB and told them two of the straps on the top had broken and they sent me a whole new top. What great customer service and I am not the original owner. I also bought some of the wax Kurt was talking about

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Called ARB and told them two of the straps on the top had broken and they sent me a whole new top. What great customer service and I am not the original owner. I also bought some of the wax Kurt was talking about

That is very generous of them :cool:

Fwiw I have both the long straps and the velcro straps here in stock if you need a quick fix. Give it a good run through with the zipper wax and you'll be set... I'm sold on it enough that I send out a tube with tent purchases.

ranewman

Observer
Have had my ARB for 2 years. Would not trade it for the world! If I can get my truck there....I can camp there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier