topper tent Idea...just a thought.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I'll say up front this is based off a structure much like AT's flippac. I'd wonder if their current product line could be adapted.

Not looking to steal, borrow or make any money off this..lol...:victory:...I'm a designer by nature (used to be a jr. architect) and sometimes my mind just flows onto paper.

I would think that this could be fitted onto a vehicles drip rails via an adjustable clamp system. The hole that is cut in the roof would vary by vehicle, and its there that each vehicle would have its own fit kit, to cut
down on cost. This design would accomodate a family of four nicely, I would think.

discuss...:chef:

tent001.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
One thought I just had too, is that this could be a non-invasive mount. If you simply put this on the roof with 4-8 clamps, and had it deploy just like I have drawn, you could also enter the tent from the outside, much like a howling moon or eezi-awn.

or from the side like a maggiolina.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
One little added possible, you access the tent through the existing sunroof hole !

I know its small but if removable no mods to the vehicle required.

Like the curvy roof too, I'm at the point where my standard type RTT material needs replacing-and i was pondering swaping out the standard shape to curved poles, to do something similar

keep posting !

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I really like the idea. If you can keep it a low profile I'd say go for it! Something else I would do is on the hatch make an add-a-room set up with it also.

3voices

i don't know of any rear hatches that stop at hortizontal, rather they raise above the truck roof. i'd think this would cause problems with your sleeping area in the back. side swinging doors would be no problem though.

cool design though.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
i don't know of any rear hatches that stop at hortizontal, rather they raise above the truck roof. i'd think this would cause problems with your sleeping area in the back. side swinging doors would be no problem though.

cool design though.

ahh, thats a good point. it'd have to be at a certain height or the rear sleep area would have to have a slight cant on the part that flips, right?

(my hatch does stop below the level of my thule crossbars. I have a maggiolina up there now that the hatch doesn't interfere with...:ylsmoke:)

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader

cool design though.

Just add a limiting strap to the hatch. Make it removable for when the "topper" is not installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles