Am I mad?

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'll offer this - don't make too many rash decisions before the baby comes, especially since it is your first. You think you can predict what you'll need ahead of time, but things have a tendency to change and redefine themselves once the baby is here and your life does a 180.

I would make sure you have at least 1 safe and reliable vehicle that you and your wife will feel comfortable driving your baby around in before the baby comes. And then after 3 or 6 months of baby life, reassess and see if your plan is the same or different. My 2 cents...

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I'm not sure why people are so fixated on ABS, etc. your wife drove a vehicle before these comforts came to be right? I would feel safer having my family in a tacoma up high then in a carolla with ABS. I say sell the civic and keep the tacoma and corolla and deal with the auto. I converted to an auto a few years ago for my 120km daily commute and love it. no more fussing about in traffic or at lights.

Believe save the money and put it towards your kid. Best money spent!

But would you feel safer if you were to put you family in an Element/CRV with AWD, VSC, ABS, side-curtain airbags, etc. over the Tacoma? I know I would.

As far as the Corolla, the auto isn't that bad, but it's also usable space inside. Sometimes, I have to carry bulkier items, which is why I have the Tacoma. If it were a hatchback, like a Matrix, I'd probably keep it and drive it, despite the auto. And having driven manuals since I was 16, I don't even mind traffic jams that much (not the traffic jams themselves, but having a manual).

Martin is right...I own an '05 Element AWD. I bought it as a daily driver when gas started going up and as the miles added up on the MDR (199,909 and counting!). But...I have loaded the "E" down with camping gear and made it back into Edison Lake (Sierras) without a problem. Dirt, narrow, rutted with some minor obstacles, no krawlin'. And the back seating is "stadium" style, nice for a car seat.

That being said, IMO it's always more economical to hang onto vehicles until they absolutely, completely detonate. You can buy many repairs for the price of a purchase and financing of a new vehicle. Besides, just after you sell the Taco you would end up needing it for something!

Good luck with everything!:wavey:

What kind of MPG's are you getting in the Element? How was taking the baby seat in and out of the Element? Do you have to push the front seat forward to gain access?

you never know when u need a truck

That's very very true. I'm still reluctant to sell the Tacoma.

Sell the Toyota.

Drive the Honda into the ground.

Be happy.

By Toyota, you mean the Corolla? I'd still like something a little better than the Tacoma for the wife for a DD. It's comfy, but the on-road manners are definitely lot harsher. Also, the lack of safety features is a concern for me.

Also, the Honda has been a faithful companion. But now, the maintenance items are coming up and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth keeping. Rear main seal is leaking, timing belt/water pump/seals/belts need to be done, and this morning, I got a CEL indicating that the main O2 sensor is malfunctioning. $400 from Honda. :Wow1: As it sits right now, it's worth maybe $2500.

I'll offer this - don't make too many rash decisions before the baby comes, especially since it is your first. You think you can predict what you'll need ahead of time, but things have a tendency to change and redefine themselves once the baby is here and your life does a 180.

I would make sure you have at least 1 safe and reliable vehicle that you and your wife will feel comfortable driving your baby around in before the baby comes. And then after 3 or 6 months of baby life, reassess and see if your plan is the same or different. My 2 cents...

That seems logical. That may be what I end up doing. Thanks for the input.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
By Toyota, you mean the Corolla?

Yes, should have been more clear.

I'd still like something a little better than the Tacoma for the wife for a DD. It's comfy, but the on-road manners are definitely lot harsher. Also, the lack of safety features is a concern for me.

My wife drove our Cherokee for the better part of 4 years as a daily dfiver (~100km round trip) and she had no complaints. No ABS and only front air bags. She survived. ;) So did the kids.

The harsh ride talk is just made up justification for selling. :)

Also, the Honda has been a faithful companion. But now, the maintenance items are coming up and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth keeping. Rear main seal is leaking, timing belt/water pump/seals/belts need to be done, and this morning, I got a CEL indicating that the main O2 sensor is malfunctioning. $400 from Honda. :Wow1: As it sits right now, it's worth maybe $2500.

Your Honda is just about broken in now. Don't sell it.

So, for the sake of discussion. You'd rather pay $400-$800 a month in payments for the next 3-5 years versus the once or maybe twice a year $1000 in maintenance that the Honda might cost you going forward for the next 200k miles? Ok. :)

If you want something new for the sake of getting something new that is one thing. But there is no financial sense in selling everything and buying all new.

Also, above someone mentioned don't do anything till after the baby is around for a while. Very good advice.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
My wife drove our Cherokee for the better part of 4 years as a daily dfiver (~100km round trip) and she had no complaints. No ABS and only front air bags. She survived. ;) So did the kids.

The harsh ride talk is just made up justification for selling. :)

Yeah, I know how it sounds, and perhaps there is truth to that. But, the 1st gen Tacoma/3rd gen 4Runner suspension systems aren't the cushiest. Getting in my friends' 2nd Gen Tacoma's (05+) and 4th Gen 4Runners (03+), there is a drastic difference. The front rack has been a big weak point in these rigs. They seem to wander upon hitting a tiny bump at speed. Some have been scary moments.

Your Honda is just about broken in now. Don't sell it.

So, for the sake of discussion. You'd rather pay $400-$800 a month in payments for the next 3-5 years versus the once or maybe twice a year $1000 in maintenance that the Honda might cost you going forward for the next 200k miles? Ok. :)

Well, like I said in the other post, if I sold the vehicles and got two (Element/CRV, Fit/Matrix), then it would net $6-8,000 in difference. This would be paid off within a few months (I hate debt), and I'd have two very reliable and safe vehicles. Also, worst case, it'd be maybe $150-200/month for the next 3-5 years. Not that bad.

Also, above someone mentioned don't do anything till after the baby is around for a while. Very good advice.

I think that is my plan as of right now. Thanks for your input.

Keaster

Observer
2651 on tax title and registration

you might think that upgrading to newer vehicles is the way to go but financially it almost never makes any sense. my buddy was having issues with his transmission on his 2500 dodge, being the vehicle he didn't really want he went and bought a newer 2500 gmc... he has a much nicer vehicle but could have had his dodge fixed for just what he spent on tax title and registration.

proto

Adventurer
Further considerations are that new models will be coming out late summer. You might see some new model that just makes sense for your situation, or you may pick up last year's model cheaper. Also, both the the manufacturers and the goobermint will be offering incentives (such as 'Cash for Clunkers', low cost financing, big rebates, free coke and hot dogs, whatever). These may not sway your choice of models, but you might alter the timing to take advantage.

This seems like a wait-and-see situation -- which is nice because it gives you a little time. You can decide where you want to be and map out a plan to get there from where you are now.

dustboy

Explorer
Keep the taco. I always wonder how I got along without mine. And that one time a year you use the 4wd because of snow, it's really worth having isn't it?

Martin is right...I own an '05 Element AWD. I bought it as a daily driver when gas started going up and as the miles added up on the MDR (199,909 and counting!). But...I have loaded the "E" down with camping gear and made it back into Edison Lake (Sierras) without a problem. Dirt, narrow, rutted with some minor obstacles, no krawlin'. And the back seating is "stadium" style, nice for a car seat.

That being said, IMO it's always more economical to hang onto vehicles until they absolutely, completely detonate. You can buy many repairs for the price of a purchase and financing of a new vehicle. Besides, just after you sell the Taco you would end up needing it for something!

Good luck with everything!:wavey:

The Element gets between 19 - 22 mpg depending on load. Not great, but not bad for a box. Yes, you have to push the front seat (either one) forward to put the baby seat in & out, but there is a ton of room in the back seat. Remember...it's a 4-seater, but with cargo room behind the back seats. I also use a Yakima cargo box on top when skiing.

Whitey

Adventurer
I think it all depends on how much debt you have. With a baby on the way and the economy getting worse everyday, you don't want to assume any more debt.
If you can pay off a $6-8000 difference in a couple months it sounds like you're doing OK. In that case I'd just pay cash for a cheap commuter and pay off the truck if it's not payed off already. Don't assume that having a car payment like everyone else in America is no big deal, even if it's only a couple hundred bucks a month.

You're all forgetting that this guy has Auto-ADD. He will make any excuse to eventually buy a different vehicle no matter how many try to suggest a better idea.
Using the "It's gonna start needing repairs" excuse is silly to me. Why not grab a wrench and do the repairs then.

Last edited:

Spur

Adventurer
Not mad. You just have the same disease that I have. I've had 14 vehicles in 15 years. My vote is to get rid of the all the vehicles and buy different ones. Doesn't need to be newer or better, just different. It might not get you anything, but it will make ME feel better.

P.S. Bonus points for losing money on the purchase or selling end.

The Element gets between 19 - 22 mpg depending on load. Not great, but not bad for a box. Yes, you have to push the front seat (either one) forward to put the baby seat in & out, but there is a ton of room in the back seat. Remember...it's a 4-seater, but with cargo room behind the back seats. I also use a Yakima cargo box on top when skiing.

My stock 2nd-Generation Dodge Ram with the Cummins Turbo-diesel gets 21-24 mpg. The Element is a station wagon for Cali grandmas. Get a quad cab and keep an great muli-purpose truck.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Ok, so looks like I'm going to keep my cars, but the wife's Corolla will be sold. Need to decide on the Element, CRV or Impreza 2.5i hatchback.

ExpoMike

Not that it makes a difference to me but I will share what our friend found out when buying a new car recently.

She had been looking at a wide range of vehicles and really liked the Element. When she went to the dealer to test drive one, she found she was less impressed by the road manors. For local commuting, like 10-15 miles, it would be a fine car. Out on the freeway drive she realized it was not going to be a good drive for longer distance, like driving from Vegas to San Diego. The dealer had her look at the CR-V, which was a little more than she was thinking of spending. After her test drive, it was head and shoulders above the Element for comfort. She ended up buying the CR-V and has been very happy since.

If you haven't driven either one of these any distance, you migh want to before deciding, since you have a 90+ mile commute. That can be a very wearing drive if you end up with the wrong vehicle.

Personally if you want to look at something maybe not considered, look at a Mazda 5.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz