2003+ 4runner lifts

The 4runner is starting to look like the perfect package for me. Especially after riding in a coworkers v8 limited...WOW :Wow1: The issue is that I do enjoy some moderate rock crawling from time to time so I thought the IFS was a deal breaker, well last night I saw a guy in a FJC tackling some MOAB trails that I would have NEVER thought a stock IFS rig could handle. So it sorta got me back on the 4runner kick.

So school me on lift options for these newer rigs. I'm interested in everything from budget boost, body lifts and high end stuff as well. Just MFG name dropping is fine too since I know how to search the internet, but I thought this would also give you Yota guys a chance to brag and enlighten an IFS newbie. :costumed-smiley-007

Thanks in Advance :victory:

Last edited:

rdb4Runner

Observer
Icon(coilover), SAW, Toytec(coilover), total chaos(long travel), Camburg, OME(spring/shock), cornfed(spacer), daystar(spacer), revtec(spacer)....toyota120 and t4r.org are going to be your largest 4Runner specific information hubs. I can't remember the companies for body lifts but most of the guys that have them on 4th Gens have a 1".:ylsmoke:

I've been checking out the sites listed about. I'm wondering why these rigs don't have to utilize a drop suspension setup? (like a full size chevy for example) I noticed some utilize replacement a-arms, usually uppers but sometimes even lowers. What determines if you need these or not?

Edit: Also I remember reading somewhere on here that upper a-arms utilizing a uniball is inferior to an upper a-arm utilizing a high misalignment ball joint. I see that Chaos Fab makes a version of the former, who makes the latter?

Oh and does anyone make long travel a-arms that don't utilize a heim at the frame mount? This seems a bit overkill and that it might be harsh riding to me.

Last edited:

daPitbull

Adventurer
For IFS rigs like these (FJC, 4runner, Prado, etc...) ~3" lift is the max you can go without dropping the diff, ie. drop brackets. There are 6" lifts made for this platform from Proc comp and Rough Country where you'll need to drop the diff. I think the Procomp requires cutting the crossmember to accomodate the dropped diff. 3" vs. 6" is debateable, but if this is an expo rig, i'd stick with a 3".

I'm not against drop bracket lifts but the advantages of a 6" lift are negligable compared to the disadvantages, IMO.

Light Racing and Icon make UCA that do not utilize uniballs.

I'm not sure I understand your question about "long travel A-arms". There are long travel kits where upper and lower control arms are replaced, extended CVs, spindles, etc.

Last edited:
So at 3" of lift there is still downward travel in the stock a-arms?

perhaps I misused the term long travel. I was checking out a lift install and there was a set of beefy aluminum a-arms that had a uniball at the spindle and heim joints at the frame where, I assume, rubber bushings originally existed. I would think these frame side heims would transmit a LOT of bad "road feel".

I agree that 3" lift with 32's/33's should be plenty for overlanding and can get you through a lot of mild 4wheeling trails.

java

Expedition Leader
yes there is some down travel left with 3", the upper a-arms are genrerally only needed to get perfect alignment, mine aligned just fine with the stock ones.

i believe all of the long travel stuff uses heims, some one just made a "mid travel" kit you could check out.

iirc 1" BL is the most that is easily done on the 4th gens most ppl do 1/2 or 3/4.

also some things arent listed as being for the 4runner but are listed for the FJ, the FJ and 4runner share the same suspension

So what's the benefit of Coil-overs vs. an OME style lift on these rigs? That being asked; what, if any, are the drawbacks to coil-overs?

java

Expedition Leader
coilovers give more adjustment and can go more than 3", only draw back is price.

BlairB

Observer
4Crawler makes the body lift for 4Runners, which goes up to 1.5". The 1.5" not a very difficult task, just have to get a steering shaft spacer and a play around with the bumper skin a little to make it fit correctly. It is all on the 4Crawler Off Road site.
________
Russian recipes

Last edited:

BlairB

Observer
And the only reason that most choose to do the body lift is to fit bigger than or some large sized 33's on the 4Runner. That will also require cutting the body mount some.
________
SUZUKI TL1000R HISTORY

Last edited:

Ric

Adventurer
Backwoods Rambler, check out toyteclifts.com they have everything you need. your gonna love the V8, lol Let me know when your ready to hit a trail :victory:

Layonnn

Adventurer
So what's the benefit of Coil-overs vs. an OME style lift on these rigs? That being asked; what, if any, are the drawbacks to coil-overs?

The front of the 4runner uses a coilover spring/shock assembly. So anything you put in there is a coilover. So coilovers vs. OME... well, you get the idea.

But i am guessing what you meant to say was adjustable coilovers vs OME coilovers.

OME, figure out exactly what you want to do in advance, then buy the appropriate spring for how much weight you plan to add (bumpers winch, batteries etc.)

Adjustable coilovers, you can adjust them as you buy extra stuff. I have heard the ride is a little better with the nicer adjustables as well.

When I think of a coilover, I think of this:

show_image_in_imgtag.php

Not sure why, but this looks more like a strut to me.
OME-TOYFJC-HK_300.jpg

So cool, they're both coilovers, but the stock setup is just non-adjustable.

With a non adjustable unit, How do you deal with the toyota lean that I've been reading about.

Oh, also. Can you buy a rear locker for the v8 SR5 models? I'd really like a trail edition for all of it's trail oriented "stuff", but I really need a v8 on my next rig; or at least v8 level power.

Can the v8's full time transfer case be swapped with the v6's part time transfer case? I would think so since they both use the 5 speed transmission (assuming it's the same tranny).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94