I built me a rear bumper.

motomech

Adventurer
What do ya think? This is just the bottom part, i still need to build the tire carrier part to hold the tire and 2 jerry cans.

Scott39

Adventurer
Not bad at all, Looks pretty stout. I plan on building my own also, saves money and you do it the way you want.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
So far, so good. Only suggestion I would make would be to try and incorporate your hitch into the bumper. Could score a few more inches of clearance and departure angle that way. Looking forward to the end result....

Layonnn

Adventurer
So far, so good. Only suggestion I would make would be to try and incorporate your hitch into the bumper. Could score a few more inches of clearance and departure angle that way. Looking forward to the end result....

x2, this would also make the bumper much stronger if you use the hitch attachment points as well.

UHAULER

Explorer
Looking good. You can put some 3m grip tape on the top for a secure step. I would leave the stock reciever in place so you wouldn't have to use an extremely long drop hitch.

Flyboat

Observer
I thought of including the hitch on my burb's new bumper too. But I thought the hitch hanging kinda protects the fuel tank on mine. If I took it off then the first thing to ********** would be the tank, not the hitch. Just thinking....is it really a good idea to remove it?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Way back while in College I built Patch's front bumper with similar shackle lugs, and I've come to hate them. The next time around the lugs will be flush to the front of the bumper. I can't tell you how many times I wonked my head on them while climbing out from under the truck or snagged my calf on them while working under the hood. I strongly suggest aggressive rounding of all edges. I didn't go far enough.

3cf4.jpg

b08c.jpg

My '91 Sub has the OE skid plate under the 40 fuel tank. My '79 did too, only they're still sitting on my driveway long after the '79 got scrapped. PM if interested in them. I can see the point of keeping the receiver hitch, but with the overhang of a Sub that ~3" that losing the hitch buys is precious.

motomech

Adventurer
The bumper still needs to be attacked with a flapper disk to smooth and round all the edges before paint. Im leaving the hitch where it is due to the amount of towing i do.It has the factory skid plate on the fuel tank.

Later i'm going with 8'' lift springs on the rear that will give me much needed lift since my factory springs are shot, that will help with the low tow hitch situation and eliminate the lift blocks.

Scott Brady

Founder
I like it. Have you considered finishing the ends and making it an air tank?

With powedercoating, it will look clean and pretty stealthy ;)

motomech

Adventurer
There are already holes in the main tube for wiring and such. The ends will still need work to attach my Axle hubs for the swing away tire carrier.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Rectangular tube, particularly tube with a high aspect ratio, tends to balloon badly when used as an air tank.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Just some food for thought, moving my receiver tube up and "onto" the bumper assembly made a huge difference in clearance. Here are a couple of before and after pics.

KMAdetailshot.jpg

Bumpercloseup2.jpg

Of course, I am not sure just what my towing rating on the thing is now, but for the occasional chore or towing a heavy load of mulch it has worked fine.
Just a thought. Wish I could do welding on my own, I admire it, looking forward to the end result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles