I built me a rear bumper.

motomech

Adventurer
Just some food for thought, moving my receiver tube up and "onto" the bumper assembly made a huge difference in clearance. Here are a couple of before and after pics.

Of course, I am not sure just what my towing rating on the thing is now, but for the occasional chore or towing a heavy load of mulch it has worked fine.
Just a thought. Wish I could do welding on my own, I admire it, looking forward to the end result.

What made you choose a double swing out over a single?....that's where i'm at now.
I'm going to add some lights like you have there.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Well, I didnt want to have to deal with the extra length that mounting the jerry cans on the tire portion would bring to the equation. This way I can open both of the carriers without having to have about a half a car length of free space behind the rig. Also, I made the jerry can holder a double holder last fall (two cans fit in the same width as one so this was a logical mod to me ) , and it is a removeable unit. This way, the jerry cans and holder can stay in storage in my shed unless I need to run out and get gas for my mower, or head out on a trip. Pics of the double holder setup in my build thread if you want to see.

The reverse lights are LED lights I got off of eBay. They work pretty well, but with LED technology the better ones are more expensive. I think that set was about $30 which was not too bad. You may be able to get a brighter light with a halogen version of that light.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The bumper that I had mostly designed for my Sub prior to the all-stop order put the spare on the driver's side to reduce the blindspot that it created. With the "Ambulance Doors" I planned to build things such that I did not have to open the swinger in order to open the passenger side rear door.

motomech

Adventurer
Yeah my tire will be on the driver side. Jerry cans will be on the passenger side.

With a 37'' tire on the back i do not see many options to open a door without first opening the swing away. Any clever ideas?

Fish

Adventurer
I'm looking for ideas on just the opposite. I'm thinking of building a swing away tire carrier, but I have a single rear door on my camper. How do I build it so that I can close the door and close the carrier. Or more likely, close the carrier and then close the door.

This is the back of my Ford, but the new Dodge is essentially the same.
rear.jpg

Obviously, I'd hinge it on the right. Maybe build a solid piece on the left with a built in ladder so that the latch is right around where the door opening is... but how to close both the swing away and the door from the inside so I can stealth camp?

Scott39

Adventurer
Yeah my tire will be on the driver side. Jerry cans will be on the passenger side.

With a 37'' tire on the back i do not see many options to open a door without first opening the swing away. Any clever ideas?

What do you plan on using for your tire carrier hinge?

I dont know if you have heard of this idea?
My buddy used a spindle and lockout hub assembly from an 1/2 ton Chevy axle for his tire carrier hinge, and it works great.
When you open the tire carrier, you turn the lockout hub and it holds it self open in a lot of different positions.
I can try to get pics of it, if you want? I plan on doing the same setup as his.

These pics are not my buddys, but it show what I`m talking about.

142992t.jpg

2ev5c03.jpg

1hxtnk.jpg

motomech

Adventurer
What do you plan on using for your tire carrier hinge?

I dont know if you have heard of this idea?
My buddy used a spindle and lockout hub assembly from an 1/2 ton Chevy axle for his tire carrier hinge, and it works great.
When you open the tire carrier, you turn the lockout hub and it holds it self open in a lot of different positions.
I can try to get pics of it, if you want? I plan on doing the same setup as his.

These pics are not my buddys, but it show what I`m talking about.

That's exactly what I'm using.Another benefit is they are also the same parts my suburban uses on it's front axle so now i have built in trail spares if needed.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
As far as clearing the 37, I'd do a graph paper scale drawing of the RS door's arc relative to the left side of the truck. It may not measure 37" across there (kinda doubt that it does, but no idea), but that may not be the end of the game. Depending on fore/aft tire spacing the center edge of the door may clear.

For the Ford, what do you think of a swing-down step that just happens to be the spare tire & rack?

Fish

Adventurer
For the Ford, what do you think of a swing-down step that just happens to be the spare tire & rack?
My biggest problem is figuring out how to close the swing out after/during closing the rear door. I like the utility of a swing down, but then I'd be fighting gravity as well.

motomech

Adventurer
My biggest problem is figuring out how to close the swing out after/during closing the rear door. I like the utility of a swing down, but then I'd be fighting gravity as well.

Too bad your door does not slide open.The you could close the tire carrier than slide close your door.

Could you tie a rope to the swing away carrier then route it through the window of the door?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Are you trying to close the swing from inside of the camper?

I've seen torsion springs and gas springs on the end of bell-cranks used to counter some of gravity's sucking.

Fish

Adventurer
Are you trying to close the swing from inside of the camper?
Yeah, exactly. It's not always necessary, but sometimes I stealth it in a rest stop or someplace. I don't have to have the camper fully closed when I close the swingout, but need a way to reach through a narrowly opened door at least. Maybe I should hinge it even with the door and connect it to the door. But then what happens if someone decides to latch it on me and I'm stuck inside :Wow1: Just have to think it through a little.

Sorry for the hijack... seems to fit the thread at least a little.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Yeah, exactly. It's not always necessary, but sometimes I stealth it in a rest stop or someplace. I don't have to have the camper fully closed when I close the swingout, but need a way to reach through a narrowly opened door at least. Maybe I should hinge it even with the door and connect it to the door. But then what happens if someone decides to latch it on me and I'm stuck inside :Wow1: Just have to think it through a little.

Sorry for the hijack... seems to fit the thread at least a little.
Inside remote + a couple pulleys and an anchor:
RT15.jpg

:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles