Technitop / African Outback Aluminum RTT

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Is there a thread I cannot find on the Technitop / African Outback Aluminum RTT?

What is the Weight?
What are the dimensions?
Cost?
Any first hand experience?

http://www.africanoutback.co.za/product.htm?productID=300

DESCRIPTION FROM SITE:
The 3 pole sections are outside. The tent hangs inside providing: a) more room inside, b) much easier to close, c) fixed top cover with ratchet strap, d) improved ladder position for easier access to tent, e) carpeted floor section, f) built-in mounting points - no roof rack or load bars neede, g) 4 quick release catches available for mounting onto Outback roof rack, no drilling necessary - easy to remove.

P1000756_large_1210316481.JPG

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
This is actually the same manufacturer, but a different model.

The African Outback above has a new Aluminum shell and is substantially thinner when closed. Also, it is the first time I have ever seen the main tent body support poles on the outside.

I was hoping someone had some more info on this version.

UK4X4.
From your original post, I too recommend a subscription to OJ. I really enjoyed the RTT comparison article and have used it many times as a piece of reference material.

Last edited:

lowenbrau

Explorer
I see a couple advantages over the most recent plastic version (which I have). Opening and closing the windows would be easier without having to work around the poles. The Plywood floor wouldn't allow as much moisture to condense under the mattress. The aluminum extrusions would hold the rivets better than the plastic. Otherwise it looks pretty similar in function to mine. I'd be happy to be the tester though. Maybe African Outback would like mine back for analysis of how it stands up to four season use north of the 49th.

hoser

Explorer
I'm guessing it could be used without the vinyl cover without UV damage. Those vinyl covers are probably my biggest gripe with most RTT's.

Eezi-Awn made an aluminum-shelled tent awhile back. Discontinued because of poor sales/high cost. Perhaps a collectors item by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles