Vintage Camper Trailer Build

Dirtco

Adventurer
The next project was to open the thing up and clean it up. Being that it's 45 years old I knew that was going to be quite the task, and it was, but it was not as bad as I thought it might be.

(Insert cool Transformers sound effects) :D

P1020339.jpg

Everything was steam cleaned, vacumned and wiped down. The front section (right behind the truck) had quite a bit of mildew/mold, so I cut it out and will be making a patch panel to replace it. It took a whole day to clean the thing, but it was worth it. I feel super comfortable in it, not that dirty old gross feeling you get.

Does anybody need some 60's cowboy curtains? :Wow1:

P1020334.jpg

P1020335.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
And here it is unfolded and hooked up to the truck. It has a slight rake to it, but not much. I can adjust that in the future with a differant ball mount, if I need to.

P1020337.jpg

P1020338.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
All of the work above was done the weekend before last. This last weekend I got a bunch of stuff done too!

Everything is painted, installed all new wiring, cleaned out the tailights and got the safty chains installed. I also got the trucks trailer wiring installed along with a bunch of other details. I'm still waiting for the new spare trailer tire to show up, so the spare is not on the back of the camper.

P1020348.jpg

P1020357.jpg

P1020352.jpg

P1020350.jpg

P1020346.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
I knew the front of the camper was going to get beat up pretty bad (35's + no mud flaps + dirt roads), so I used bedliner on the whole front of the thing. This should be harder to chip and easier to touch up. After getting the front painted it seemed a little "blah", so I found an old Metallica stencil I had and spiced it up a little. I also added a couple pin stripes to the frame rails.

P1020353.jpg

P1020354.jpg

P1020355.jpg

P1020356.jpg

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I say keep the cowboy curtains. I like the old western theme; it just begs for one to go camping.

Pete Wilson
Ottawa, KS

SirCampalot

Adventurer
Great upgrade! I've been thinking about doing something similar so that I can use a larger wheel/tire setup under there. It'll never be as good as a purpose built "expedition trailer", but it would make it easier to get into some primitive camping areas. I'm thinking about adding a nice solar powered ceiling fan, as well as painting the top half white, lower half silver... to match the FJC.

Some pics of mine:

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer

Thanks!

Hey

I say keep the cowboy curtains. I like the old western theme; it just begs for one to go camping.

Pete Wilson
Ottawa, KS

The curtains are gone, I got rid of them because it was one less thing to clean. I plan on getting some other curtains down the road. Even if I cleaned the old curtains I don't think I would feel "clean" around them, if that makes since.

Dirtco

Adventurer
Great upgrade! I've been thinking about doing something similar so that I can use a larger wheel/tire setup under there. It'll never be as good as a purpose built "expedition trailer", but it would make it easier to get into some primitive camping areas. I'm thinking about adding a nice solar powered ceiling fan, as well as painting the top half white, lower half silver... to match the FJC.

I say do it! I don't plan on doing any hard trails, but it will be nice to get to some spots further back in the woods, off the beaten path. :D

Dirtco

Adventurer
Can we see some interior pics?

That looks awesome.

I'll take some pictures the next time I set it up, some time this weekend. :)

So..... Since you are ic CO can I come see it?

I think I've seen you on Colorado4x4.org before, if your ever doing some wheeling in the Summit County area let me know. You can check out the camper and maybe do some wheeling.

them goofy make-over show on the idiot box can't touch this.:sombrero: Great Job.:beer:

Thanks, it's nothing fancy but it's not pink!

F-AWESOME!

I wish you would have kept the curtains, but I understand why you didn't.

I really thought about keeping them, but the thought of waking up in the middle of the night wrapped up in one (they were used to seperate the sleeping area's) made me want to vomit. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne