Water on the back glass

Dave

Explorer
The back glass on my ARE fiberglass topper is nearly impossible to see out of in rainy weather. I tried Rain-X but that doesn't seem to help. The only thing I can think of that would help is a rear window wiper or some sort of "spoiler" that will direct air down the glass. Neither of which seem like feasible options. Any ideas?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Dave said:
The back glass on my ARE fiberglass topper is nearly impossible to see out of in rainy weather. I tried Rain-X but that doesn't seem to help. The only thing I can think of that would help is a rear window wiper or some sort of "spoiler" that will direct air down the glass. Neither of which seem like feasible options. Any ideas?
My first thought was a spoiler. I've seen them as add-ons for SUVs and stuff, so I'm not sure it wouldn't work. I like the wiper idea, I've toyed with trying to rig one up on the back door of my topper. Whenever I'm at the junk yard I eye the ones that are mounted through the glass (I think Tahoes, maybe?). I'm just not brave enough to try boring a hole in my glass back there.

njtaco

Explorer
What about a wiper for a boat?

Mounts thru fiberglass - check!
Weather resistant - check!
Come in chrome or black - check!
12V, simple to wire - check!
Overpriced - check!

However- tend to be of low quality, and don't usually take automotive grade wiper blades...

OK- talked myself out of it. :eek:

Dave

Explorer
The Bronco II I had in highschool had the spoiler for deflecting air down the glass. I really don't remember if it worked, but I think it would work reasonably well with the combination of some Rain-X.

I didn't think of a marine windshield wiper kit, that idea might have some traction!

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Dave - if you figure out a good solution let me know!

I have pretty much given up and I carry a bottle of windex and paper towels on really bad days. Or stop at a gas station and clean off as often as I can.

Clutch

<---Pass
Just use your side mirrors. :D

I used to drive dump trucks when I worked construction, I guess I am used to not seeing out of the rear veiw. :p

Edit: You know what would be cool...have a video camera with roll offs, like the ones the use in auto racing...now that would be trick!

robert

Expedition Leader
I have the same problem with my ARE in the rain, but after driving an ambulance for so long I just use the side mirrors. Put a convex on the driver's side and call it good. Between the tinted glass on that and my truck windows, I can't half see out of at night anyways, especially on rainy nights.

atavuss

Adventurer
did ARE offer a factory wiper option? if so, you may want to contact them to see if you can purchase a wiper from them. poor visibility was the main reason I opted for a fiberglass cover instead of shell for my taco. I have had snugtop shells for the last three trucks I had and I just was plain tired of not being able to see out of them in poor weather.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Wiper from a 84-89 4Runner

It parks up on a nub that lifts it off the rear window. Should be able ti make i get high enough to clear the hinge.

Other then that use the outside mirrors.

Dave

Explorer
ARE used to offer a rear wiper option but it is no longer available.

Side mirrors usually work but recently when driving through a real frog strangler on the interstate, even the side mirrors were useless. It would have been nice to have been able to clear the back glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles