Laptop Computer Security

tuffy

Observer
With laptop computer security becoming an increasing concern when travelling, Tuffy Security Products has introduced a heavy-duty, convenient solution for protecting your computer from prying hands. Here is the press release and photo:

182-01_S_O_CH.jpg

In 2008, the number of reported laptop thefts rose 48% over 2007.
source – FBI (National Crime Information Center) Aside from the obvious costs of replacing expensive laptop computers, one must also consider the potential exposure of sensitive information and the liability that stolen information creates.
The Tuffy Laptop lockbox is specifically designed to provide a secure and protected place to lock up portable computers. The 1" and 2" thick foam lining protects the contents from jarring and shifting during transport. Tuffy’s exclusive Pry-Guard locking system provides the high security required to protect expensive computer equipment.
The unique design incorporates an exclusive hinging system and welded steel construction. Grade 8 mounting hardware is included with mounting holes provided for bottom or back flush surface mounting so the lockbox can be mounted behind the rear seat in a pickup truck or virtually any other place it can fit.
For maximum flexibility and ease of installation the lockbox can be secured to the vehicle by utilizing the unique padlock mounting point to secure it to the vehicle using a standard cable. (Padlock & cable not included) The lid is still locked with the camlock on top not the padlock.

Tuffy Security Products has been manufacturing high quality security products in the USA for over 20 years. With well over 100,000 products used all over the world Tuffy has established itself as the world leader in automotive security. ________________________________________
FEATURES:
• Pry-Guard locking system with 1/8" thick steel welded components and 10 tumbler double bitted key
• 1" & 2" Thick foam lining
• Strong hemmed lid (Double thickness)
• Added security with Pin-Lock hinge design
• Tab-Loc welded construction Mig & Tig
• 16 Gauge Steel
• For maximum flexibility and ease of installation the lockbox can be secured to the vehicle by utilizing the unique padlock mounting point to secure it to the vehicle using a standard cable. The lid is still locked with the camlock on top not with the padlock. (Padlock & cable not included)
• Grade 8 mounting hardware provided (Mounting holes on bottom and/or back for flush fit)
• Durable texture powder coat finish
• Product can be mounted in any vehicle with sufficient space
SPECIFICATIONS:
Part #182 Color: 01 Black
Exterior Dimensions: 18 5/16" W x 5 1/4" D x 14 1/4" H Custom sizes are also available. Call for quotes.
Interior Dimensions : 15 3/4" W x 2 13/16" D x 11 1/2" H. Custom sizes are also available. Call for quotes.
FITS:
• Product can be mounted in any vehicle with sufficient space. Fits most standard size laptops and these special heavy duty laptops:
Toshiba – Satellite A355D, Toshiba – Satellite L350-ST3702, Dell – Fully Rugged, Toughbook PDRC 19, 30, F8. Check laptop size before ordering.

Part# 182-01
Available in Black
For more information contact:
Tuffy Security Products
25733 Road H; Cortez, CO 81321
800-348-8339; www.tuffyproducts.com

Link to more information:

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-256-182-laptop-computer-security-lockbox.aspx

angusdevil

Adventurer
Cool product but at $159... I'll store it in an ammo can that I can and have room for other goodies like hard drives, guns, wallet, etc...

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Cool product but at $159... I'll store it in an ammo can that I can and have room for other goodies like hard drives, guns, wallet, etc...

Tuffy makes good well thought out products that fill a need.

Your solution seems to be ideal for your needs, but for others this purpose built sleek product will be the answer. To comment in a negative fashion on the price point is not constructive.

angusdevil

Adventurer
I find it very constructive as a metal box with a lock seems very much over priced for $159. The only way I would ever consider this unit is if I needed a box to be that size.

I'm sure the product is well thought out and does the job nicely, Tuffy is known for that.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I find it very constructive as a metal box with a lock seems very much over priced for $159. The only way I would ever consider this unit is if I needed a box to be that size.

I'm sure the product is well thought out and does the job nicely, Tuffy is known for that.

I'll disagree with you on this.

I don't know if you are in the manufacturing business, but production costs for goods made in the USA are high. Especially for low production volumes (500 and less).

Factor in materials costs, design costs, prototyping, production costs, infrastructure overheads, insurance, sales and marketing, plus a little for profit, and $159.00 seems very reasonable.

Compare that to the ammo box you are suggesting using instead of this unit. Take into account its used, produced in huge quantities, and manufactured under government bid. What do you imagine the cost of the unit was to the tax payer when it was manufactured?

Now imagine manufacturing the ammo box in low production volumes, how much do you think the ammo box would cost to manufacturer?

You are devaluing a product that a company has invested time, effort, and ingenuity in. You suggest that a surplus government issue box is a viable less expensive alternative, with no thought to the actual cost of originally producing that box.

We design and put products out to bid all the time, so we know how much things cost to design, prototype, manufacture, and bring to market. It's not cheap, and it's not easy.

If you don't want the product fine, don't buy it. If you feel you can compete against Tuffy on a price point, then produce something as good for less. But don't complain about the price if you know nothing about the process.

tuffy

Observer

Thanks for the comments and feedback. I am sure that there would be no resolution if we got into an argument about what is over priced and what is fair, but just to clear up the over simplification of a "metal box with a lock" please consider some of the features and attention to detail Tuffy puts into a product like this.

1.)The product was specifically designed to secure and protect a lap top computer.

2.)It has an attractive and durable powder coated finish.

3.)It is constructed of 16 gauge steel and features things like a hemmed lid for extra security against prying, Pin-Lock hinge design to make the hinge pin more difficult to pound out, Grade 8 Mounting Hardware for a secure mount in the vehicle, Tuffy's Pry Guard locking system which features 1/8" thick steel welded components and a 10 tumbler double bitted key.

4.)Also consider that Tuffy finishes the interior of the box with a combination of 1" and 2" thick foam cut specifically with protecting a computer in mind.

5.)We have also added the ability to secure the lockbox with a heavy-duty cable and padlock (not included) if you want the option of taking the box with you instead of leaving mounted in the vehicle.

Tuffy has been designing and manufacturing security products since 1989. We have seen what thieves usually do when attempting a break-in and have continually improved to combat against any weaknesses. It is always a hard decision to find the trade off between security and cost of the product. We have always taken the road of making it more secure while trying to maintain a price point that is within reason of the average consumer. I have found that it really doesn't matter where we price a new product, someone will say it is too much. My guess is if we listed this box at $59 there would still be someone that would say they could get something at the Surplus store for $19 and we were overpriced. It is like someone telling the guy who has a beautiful, decked out Land Cruiser that he got ripped off because he has a Suzuki Samurai that will do the same thing and he paid 1/3 of the price. Each person has to decide what is right for them.

I appreciate the opportunity to voice my counterpoint.:)

Thanks
Jeff Fox
Tuffy Security Products

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
As an owner of a Tuffy rear storage drawer I place my camera and laptop inside it without a second thought. What I had built before, no way would I do that.
Also my Tuffy product has held up to crazy abuse by me, my sons, Boy Scouts and tons of other people opening and slamming it shut to test it out at events.
I stand on my rear Tuffy drawer to access the roof rack you could never tell by looking at it.
The slides are super smooth and the latch is very positive.

Before Tuffy choose to support Disabled Explorers I built 2 different rear storage solutions thinking I could do it better for cheaper, well I got what I paid for and niether setup lasted long since I didn't have the engineering background or access to quality hardware. The Tuffy drawer just keeps working and working and I am sure the laptop storage is just as well thought out and tough.

tuffy

Observer
As an owner of a Tuffy rear storage drawer I place my camera and laptop inside it without a second thought. What I had built before, no way would I do that.
Also my Tuffy product has held up to crazy abuse by me, my sons, Boy Scouts and tons of other people opening and slamming it shut to test it out at events.
I stand on my rear Tuffy drawer to access the roof rack you could never tell by looking at it.
The slides are super smooth and the latch is very positive.

Before Tuffy choose to support Disabled Explorers I built 2 different rear storage solutions thinking I could do it better for cheaper, well I got what I paid for and niether setup lasted long since I didn't have the engineering background or access to quality hardware. The Tuffy drawer just keeps working and working and I am sure the laptop storage is just as well thought out and tough.

Great to hear that your Tuffy drawer is still holding up. I know that you use the heck out of your stuff, so that is a real compliment. Thanks

rmarz

Adventurer
That is a sharp looking computer lock box. I have a Tuffy lock box in the back of my Wrangler LJ that has served me very well with no issues for a few years now. I am sure that the computer lock box will perform similarly. As a consumer I consider numerous points before making any decision to spend money on a product and would not hesitate to purchase another Tuffy product. Especially when it is purpose built to satisfy what I am looking for.

Fish

Adventurer
Hmmm... I wonder if one could drill and grommet the safe so that an external screen and keyboard could be used with a secured laptop. Or maybe use some kind of bulkhead through connector. You'd have to unlock the case to turn the laptop on, but still....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94