Odd question for 12V fridge experts

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Not my question; I got asked this by a fellow Mogger who has the expo-standard 45L ARB 12V compressor fridge and wanted to know how far off horizontal his fridge can operate at. Indeed, the has a Mog trailer where the fridge would fit much better if laid on it's side under a bench.

Ignoring the issues of ventilation/cooling, how much can you tilt one of these and still have it work? I know that the answer for an absorption fridge would be "hardly at all," but I've never seen any information for a small compressor fridge. Anyone know? Thanks.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I asked this same question of Waeco when I had one of their fridges. The answer was 10 degrees, all due to lubrication in the compressor or something like that....I wanted to use the fridge on its side and it was a no-go.

Spence

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Not my question; I got asked this by a fellow Mogger who has the expo-standard 45L ARB 12V compressor fridge and wanted to know how far off horizontal his fridge can operate at. Indeed, the has a Mog trailer where the fridge would fit much better if laid on it's side under a bench.

Ignoring the issues of ventilation/cooling, how much can you tilt one of these and still have it work? I know that the answer for an absorption fridge would be "hardly at all," but I've never seen any information for a small compressor fridge. Anyone know? Thanks.

30 degrees for the Engel Swing Compressor.

hoser

Explorer
I asked this same question of Waeco when I had one of their fridges. The answer was 10 degrees, all due to lubrication in the compressor or something like that....I wanted to use the fridge on its side and it was a no-go.
My Waeco manual says it can operate continuously at 30 degrees.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Waeco has a setup in their marine catalog where you can build your own drawer fridge.
They supply all the hardware and you build & insulate the drawer...something to think about.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
So we have a "box" and a "manual" that can operate at up to 30 degrees, how about the fridge :wings:
That's funny. :bowdown:

Thanks for all the information. We'll take 30 degrees as the consensus, especially as that was what I was tempted to tell my buddy in the first place.

Lance . . . I know about those custom refrigerator setups and it's an interesting idea, though the friend already has his ARB. But the jury is still out on the somewhat similar arrangement in my EarthRoamer XV-JP. The fridge isn't real strong--it'll keep cold stuff cold but won't cool things down well. But as they use the same system in many boats (yachts, even), it's a proven system, so I need more investigation.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
I bought a cheap magnetic angle finder at harbor freight to stick to my fridge now and then. It seemed like the angle I was on was steep but it turned out to be only 2-4degrees. Fooled me. My Norcold says 30degrees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz