Broken FlipPac torsion bar...

mattsavage

Observer
Anyone have experience replacing the torsion bar on a FlipPac? Mine busted over a year ago (it took this long and about 2 dozen phone calls to get the replacement). Now that I have the replacement part I have no idea how to install it. I mean, I got it in, but it won't open. The woman down there was awful to work with ( I hate to say that, but it's true...) and forgot to include the instructions which I asked for every time I spoke to her...

I've never seen any schematics or a diagram of how the assembly operates, but logic tellls me that the top should be open to some degree when replacing the bar. Is this correct? Is the mechanism spring loaded some how?

I'm not quite sure how it even broke in the first place. I wasn't using it since it was winter. I just came out to my truck one day and half the torsion bar was protruding out of the aluminum sheath.

Sorry for the rant, just had to vent. Any help or tips is greatly appreciated!

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Factory Replacement Instructions

Anyone have experience replacing the torsion bar on a FlipPac? Mine busted over a year ago (it took this long and about 2 dozen phone calls to get the replacement). Now that I have the replacement part I have no idea how to install it. I mean, I got it in, but it won't open. The woman down there was awful to work with ( I hate to say that, but it's true...) and forgot to include the instructions which I asked for every time I spoke to her...

I've never seen any schematics or a diagram of how the assembly operates, but logic tellls me that the top should be open to some degree when replacing the bar. Is this correct? Is the mechanism spring loaded some how?

I'm not quite sure how it even broke in the first place. I wasn't using it since it was winter. I just came out to my truck one day and half the torsion bar was protruding out of the aluminum sheath.

Sorry for the rant, just had to vent. Any help or tips is greatly appreciated!

Matt,

Sorry to hear that you had trouble getting through to the folks at FRP. AT sells and supports the Flippac product and are here in case you need assistance. I am posting the factory instructions for replacing the torsion bar. It is important to be careful as the torsion bar can store a lot of energy when it is under load.

Contact us if we can help further.

Attachments

• Flippac torsion bar replacment instructions1 copy.jpg
    Flippac torsion bar replacment instructions1 copy.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 407
  • Flippac torsion bar replacment instructions2 copy.jpg
    Flippac torsion bar replacment instructions2 copy.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 335

mattsavage

Observer
Matt,

Sorry to hear that you had trouble getting through to the folks at FRP. AT sells and supports the Flippac product and are here in case you need assistance. I am posting the factory instructions for replacing the torsion bar. It is important to be careful as the torsion bar can store a lot of energy when it is under load.

Contact us if we can help further.

Awesome, thanks!

Yeah, installation was interesting... I used Bellapsd's method of pulling the top vertical through a window. Unfortunately I live on the 4th floor of a loft building, so it was a little comical! Once it was up, the end of it just barely reached that awning over the garage door in the background. Fortunately, for once, I was pleased to be living above the area where the garbage gets picked up in the morning, so I no problem nosing the front end into that garage bay.

xlgzsn.jpg

The downside was, in my rush to get it done before High Snobiety started a tissy fit, I forgot to put on the aluminum sheath and I cracked on of those plastic bushings.... So, I'll probably order up a part from AT here soon. I forgot about the little set screw that holds those in...

Thanks for everyones help! This is a great forum. Wish I was an actual adventure guy so I could share some stories. Unfortunately, this truck and FlipPac are gonna go... So there's one in decent shape if anybody is looking! I'm in Oregon. The proceeds of the sale will go to the funding of this: http://www.rocky-road.com/sx4sus.html I had to economize since I'm too busy to have real fun and have a daily 120 mile commute. This little rig will still help get to the backcountry a little... It's got locking diff's!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles