Maxxis Big Horn MT

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well it was time to go up in tire size. I decided after much debate on upgareding to a 16" wheel and stepping up to the 255/85/16 size. This was for better clearence and traction since my rig is mostly a trail rig. The tires arrived at my house and we got a quick wiegh in at 50.3 pounds. Then though them in the back and headed to Lokey Truck to do the install.

Once they were on the 16x7 enkei wheels and mounted on the Tacoma, we realized the back ones were fine but the front inner fenders would need the typical mods. I did a quick trim of the lower and upper pinch welds to make them fit. I am still getting some rubbing so I will do a little more work reguarding the inner fender liner fastners. That should solve it.

I was really happy with the new stance of the truck. There was a big difference coming off the 31" tires before. The added ground clearence is going to make a huge difference since my bigest problem has always been getting high centered on rock ledges. The rims also have different back space then my stock ones so I also benefit from a slightly wider stance.

I have about 12 miles on the tires at this time so the full verdict will be told after the 7500 mile baja trip. However the 12 miles I drove were in a monsoon LOL. It was one of those typical Florida fronts with driving rain and 35 mph winds. It was a mix of highway and city streets with lots of standing water. Never once did I get any wheel spin or feel unsteady either at speed or under acceleration. So far the Tires are looking like a good choice. I will post more feed back after our first shake down run next weekend, and then again after the baja trip where they will see about 4500 miles of road and 3000 offroad.

Last edited:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Tommorow I'll have them up. I got home at 3 a.m. from Mike's shop and had to be at work at 7 a.m. I'll snap a pic this afternoon and post tomorrow. Have to take out the wife tonight!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
pics of the new tires mounted. After getting to drive on them aliitle more I am really liking them. They have really good road manners. I have always run BFG tires so switching brands really made me nervous.

sideshot.jpg

frontquartershot.jpg

rearquatershot.jpg

sparetireshot.jpg

reartireshot.jpg

fronttireshot.jpg

Bergger

Explorer
Ah! Just read your other thread and see you have the 2.7l and 4.88 gears. Must be a nice combination. I used to have a 95 regular cab Taco with that motor. Had the truck for 8 years and got rid of it for my current double cab. I still miss that truck and motor sometimes. Great combination imo.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Bergger said:
They look great! Do you have the 2.7l or the 3.4l and stock gears? Any big loss in power?

I have a 2.7 and 4.88 gears. I can tell you there is no way stock gears work with these tires. I do not think it would work with a 3.4 motor either. These tires are big for a stock ratio. The 4.88 are great but I have a stick. If I had an auto I would have to say that I would go 5.29 all days long due to the difference in tranny gearing. I can cruise now comfortably at 70 which is my target highway speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles