FlipPac vs Wildernest

Hi, new to the forum and wanted to get some advice on the differences between the FlipPac and Wildernest. I think one of these would fit my needs pretty well at this point in my life. Sorry to invade this expedition forum asking for basic camping advice but after reading half the threads on here you do seem to be the most knowledgeable people around. Ill be using it for occasional camper and I'd like to not sleep on the ground and have secure storage. Although I love offroading, my current truck is horrible for it since its basically 1wd (hoping to get another jeep soon). It would be nice to get a FWC but a little out of my price range at the moment but these show up used for $500-1000.
I've looked through the old threads and from what I can tell they're pretty similar except for the direction of the flip. Each has its advantages (awning or small foot print) and I think I'm leaning towards the awning between those two but it doesn't seem all that useful especially with the leg supports. Since FlipPac is still in business I have a pretty good idea of how they work and they are laid out and how big they are. The used Wildernest website is nice for finding one but the photo section doesen't help much. Does anyone have pics of the interior and setup for Wildernest. Setup looks easier for the FlipPac as well. Has anyone actually owned each of them and can compare them side by size. Both of them seem rare in the full size short bed configuration I need. Will I have any fitting problems with my ram single cab since its a little taller them most especially since the FlipPac goes forward.
Sorry for the long post but any suggestions regarding my choice or know where there is a deal on one anywhere close to Southern California.
Thanks in advance.

Rando

Explorer
I recently went through the same decision you are going through. First and most importantly I would say get which ever one appears on craigslist first in good condition and fits your truck. At least in this part of the country both Wildernests and flip-pacs are rare and either one of them will fit your needs well.

That being said, I think I was more excited about the Wildernest than the flip-pac. I looked at both a flip-pac (for $2500) and a Wildernest (for $700) and ended up with wildernest.

The main advanatages of the Wildernest for me where:
- The topper part itself (it the fiberglass) is much more streamlined and well fitted to my Tacoma than the flip-pac. Most people don't even realize there is anything special about my 'nest topper, whereas the flip-pac is much more boxy and looks fairly obviously like a pop-up camper.
- If you can find a 'nest with good fabric (which is the most important thing to look for) it is waterproof in itself and has well designed windows you can open even in a downpoor. The flip-pac I looked at came with the rain fly, but even just setting it up in the parking lot it was obvious that it was going to be a swamp/sauna inside with the fly on. Secondly with the flip-pac you have to make the call every night as to whether it might rain and if you should just put the fly on, or risk it without.

-The main advantage of the flip-pac is that they are usually MUCH newer so they are likely to be in better condition (although my 'nest is in excellent condition for a 15 year old tent) and you can get spare parts as they are still being made.

-The mattress on an FP is much wider than the mattress on the 'nest which could be something to consider if you are two people and are used to sleeping in a California King.

Other things to consider are if you need roof racks (for a boat, skis etc) you can have racks on with a 'nest however you need to pull stuff off before you flip it. The 'awning' area under the roof on the nest is not that useful particularly with roof racks as it is only about 5' high and you wack your head pretty regularly. The footprint of the FP is also much smaller. One other thing to look out for is the torsion spring on the FP, I have read of several that have broken, so make sure you inspect it carefully before buying a used one. I am sure FP owners can help you more with that.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the other major difference is that the Wildernest is entered like a roof-top-tent, i.e. from the outside, where as a Flip-Pac is entered from "underneath", in the truck bed.

To me, one of the massive advantages of something like a Flip-Pac is the ability to stand in the "living area" it creates over the truck bed. Not having to pull your pants on while prone in a tent is a luxury that my wife will not forgo!

EDIT: OK, maybe I'm wrong. Looking at new pictures and I don't see the ladder that I remember from my first exposure to a Wildernest.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Does anyone have pics of the interior and setup for Wildernest. Setup looks easier for the FlipPac as well. Has anyone actually owned each of them and can compare them side by size. Both of them seem rare in the full size short bed configuration I need.
Thanks in advance.

I have interior shots of one of my Wildernests, too big to post here, but if you PM me your email address, I'll sent them along to you.

I can't speak for FlipPac, but the Wildernest is a breeze to set-up and take down. In the 5 minute range. With the second one I bought, it came with the full owner's instruction manual, along with a lot of sales data. I will be scanning those and having them available for download soon.

An FYI. You can not 'modify' a full size long bed to fit a full size short bed.....how does he know?
I drove from Eureka to San Diego to buy a full size long bed Wildernest to use on my 2002 F250 crewcab short bed, with the hopes of shortening it. No go, since the supports inside for the springs are too far apart to pull that off. (photos also available). So 6 months later I find a full size short bed Wildernest... 1/2 mile from my house for sale. I guess I could have saved 773.3 miles of driving..dang.

It seems Wildernests go in the $350 to $750 range (sometime in the 'asking' $1000 range) and FlipPacs go in the $1500 to $7500 range (some are pretty much new).
Yes, full size short beds are much harder to find.

Good luck with your search.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the other major difference is that the Wildernest is entered like a roof-top-tent, i.e. from the outside, where as a Flip-Pac is entered from "underneath", in the truck bed.
To me, one of the massive advantages of something like a Flip-Pac is the ability to stand in the "living area" it creates over the truck bed. Not having to pull your pants on while prone in a tent is a luxury that my wife will not forgo!

Nope, both the FlipPac and Wildernest are the same inside. Both use the truck bed as living space. Both enter the 'flipped' bed area from the inside. Just one with the bed fore or aft, and one to the side.

Thanks for everyones input, but ive resided to abandon trying to use my work truck for fun. Im going to end up getting a dedicated trail rig, probably a 1st or 2nd gen 4runner.
Which brings me to another question: can either of these be used on a 1st gen 4runner. I havent seen anyone else attempt it. I assume i can get the front to seal up somehow and the bed is almost the same as the pickup. also can i cut out the front part to make it like an original shell with a full height pass through to the cab without ruining the structure of it?
This also make it much easier to find one (at least a 'nest) and i can leave it on permanently since it would only be used on weekends
p.s. anyone know of a deal on a descent 4runner in socal (2k or less)

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
An FYI. You can not 'modify' a full size long bed to fit a full size short bed.....how does he know?
I drove from Eureka to San Diego to buy a full size long bed Wildernest to use on my 2002 F250 crewcab short bed, with the hopes of shortening it. No go, since the supports inside for the springs are too far apart to pull that off. (photos also available). So 6 months later I find a full size short bed Wildernest... 1/2 mile from my house for sale. I guess I could have saved 773.3 miles of driving..dang.
Interesting thought as I'm contemplating this now - except with a Flip-Pac. Wondering since it flips forward instead of sideways if it can be done since I have a shortbed and the Flip Pac is a long bed. The other option is to make a truck bed trailer and slap the LB camper on that, so it becomes a more durable version of a coleman pop up trailer that can see rougher roads. Since the Ford superduty is a one off animal as far as shells go, my options are less likely to "pop up" than the GM or Dodge guys who can supposedly interchange shells that hit the market used. Any words of experience on this plan?

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Daveindenver: those pics really inspire me to get a 'nest. I want tot get a 1st gen 4runner and make it fit.
RocKrawler: from what i have found, they're both available in full size/ short bed combination. Its an option on the AT website http://www.adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html ,

There was a guy in Huntington Beach about 15 years ago that did put a wildernest structure into a 1st gen 4R top - he said it was major & wouldnt attempt it again - and it didnt look great but was functional.

I know the Flips are available in the config I want, but i refuse to pay the money they are asking for a new one. There's a guy with a Flip in San Diego for $700 and its n really good shape, but dont want to go the work when I just found a Nest for a FS Short Bed - I should be finalizing that deal later today & picking it up this weekend if it goes smoothly.

Looks like I got (won) the Wildernest I was bidding on ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...spagename=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123&autorefresh=true )- now just the logistics to get it from Durango CO to SoCal... Anyone heading this way?

Last edited:
There was a guy in Huntington Beach about 15 years ago that did put a wildernest structure into a 1st gen 4R top - he said it was major & wouldnt attempt it again - and it didnt look great but was functional.

Would be interesting, but man that's would be a lot of fiberglass and structural work.

I dont see the point of trying to attach the top of the nest to the bottom of the runner cap. Seems like a lot of work for not much better look even if its possible to make it look nice, and looks is not one my concerns.
Cant you just use the Nest as a replacement for the 4runner cap? I thought that the 4runner bed and truck beds were the same size?
I figured that you could just cut out the the support under the front window and take out the window. I know that would mess with the structure so a rollbar shaped support would have to be put in. Some thick seal between the cab and nest and that should be good enough. Might not be pretty, especially with the backwards lean on the nest cap, likely mismatched color and whatever seals the cap to cab, But it should work. Does anyone see anything obviously wrong with my idea that will hopefully manifest itself?
BTW does the nest come standard with the supports for underneath the bed i see on some of the pics. Those would alleviate some of the structural issues with my plan.

Looks like I got (won) the Wildernest I was bidding on ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...spagename=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123&autorefresh=true )- now just the logistics to get it from Durango CO to SoCal... Anyone heading this way?
Nice score. Good luck getting it. I do some of the closer (bay area and vegas) deliveries for my company but for that distance, shipping is almost same price as gas/hotel. If you want, i can give you the shipping company we use. They've treated us well, but i dont know if they will take something thats not crated.
Id love to check it out once you get it.

Last edited:
Hmm it seems like that would be a lot of supports that would need to put in. Perhaps I can use industrial ratcheting straps at the front and the back temporarily until i learn how to weld. Im a pretty big guy and my gf will be with me so it will be quite a bit of weight. It should not have a problem with no weight on the bed with the straps taken off during the day.
Is the front of the Nest straight vertical? 4runners is, i think.
The nest itself will still need support without the front part, im afraid it would put the hinge side down and the nonhinge side outwards otherwise.

Good to know my strap idea wasn't completely out of line.
I hope to eventually do the rubicon as well so you comments are really appreciated.
Did the gap appear after a while without using the strap and then you started using it to keep it from getting worse. Since this is going to be my weekend toy it can be strapped in storage most of the time and, unless i have passengers, most of the time driving as well.
I really thought being open and sleeping would be more pressure on the system. Is it possible to remove the springs and open it by standing up inside of it?
Does yours have the support bars under the open bed that i see on some of them?
The forward taper on the p/u seem to be less than 2" over the rise which should not be too much of a problem for what looks like straight up on the runner. And the side tapers should match perfectly then.
ps i have a good lead on an 85 runner, wish me luck.

paulj

Expedition Leader
I

page5_1.jpg
Note the stiffener glassed into the side. The spring attaches to that, as does the tent structure. There is a similar stiffener at the front corners. Cutting into the front to fit your truck could mess up this critical structural component. I don't recall just how close it is to the front corner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles