square sleeping bags

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ok so I have used a variety of bags over the years, but am thinking about getting some new ones. As I have gotten fat I am no longer enjoying my mummy bags. So I want a square one to accomodate my new found contentness of life LOL!

My wife has a lite Kelty bag that is rated @ 50 deg. It is a decent inexpensive bag however I want something that is more versatile and better quality. Idealy it would have the ability to convert to hot weather ratings of say 50 deg down to say 20-30 degree for cooler weather. This could be accomplished by either zip in zip out layers or some other means of adjustible insulation. I would also like it to have the choice of which side the zipper is on so that we can have the zippers facing toward the middle of the OZTENT rather then the wall. Plus if we ever sleep on the ground again we can zip them together for some mmmmm snuggle time.

Since we are now on cots and enjoying the new found world of sleeping off the ground we are excited to see what is suggested.

Desert Dan

Explorer
Check out Coleman, Slumberjack brands as well as Cabela's.

Get a pair that you can use separately or zip together :)

SCTaco

Observer
Cabela's was my choice. My wife hates a mummy bag and Cabela's has a nice -15 and a -30 bag for around $150. They are a little bulky and heavy, but if you are not backpacking it shouldn't be an issue. Good luck!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
A couple of years ago I went through the impressively large selection at Cabela's, and ordered a large number of sleeping bags to be shipped to my house. I tried a bunch out, and kept one. To my surprise, I kept the "worst looking" one that was also one of the more expensive one's on the list. it is a Cabela's branded bag, but its very comfortable. All down, completely square so easily reversable, and it compresses into the included stuff sack very compactly. I have used it on 60 degree nights and 20 degree nights, and have always been comfortable as long as its fully unzipped on the warm nights. I have very large personal dimensions, and this bag still fits.

I just checked, and I did not see it on their site anymore. Darn. never mind!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
A couple of years ago I went through the impressively large selection at Cabela's, and ordered a large number of sleeping bags to be shipped to my house. I tried a bunch out, and kept one. To my surprise, I kept the "worst looking" one that was also one of the more expensive one's on the list. it is a Cabela's branded bag, but its very comfortable. All down, completely square so easily reversable, and it compresses into the included stuff sack very compactly. I have used it on 60 degree nights and 20 degree nights, and have always been comfortable as long as its fully unzipped on the warm nights. I have very large personal dimensions, and this bag still fits.

I just checked, and I did not see it on their site anymore. Darn. never mind!

you tease lol!

kerry

Expedition Leader
Ok so I have used a variety of bags over the years, but am thinking about getting some new ones. As I have gotten fat I am no longer enjoying my mummy bags. So I want a square one to accomodate my new found contentness of life LOL!

My wife has a lite Kelty bag that is rated @ 50 deg. It is a decent inexpensive bag however I want something that is more versatile and better quality. Idealy it would have the ability to convert to hot weather ratings of say 50 deg down to say 20-30 degree for cooler weather. This could be accomplished by either zip in zip out layers or some other means of adjustible insulation. I would also like it to have the choice of which side the zipper is on so that we can have the zippers facing toward the middle of the OZTENT rather then the wall. Plus if we ever sleep on the ground again we can zip them together for some mmmmm snuggle time.

Since we are now on cots and enjoying the new found world of sleeping off the ground we are excited to see what is suggested.

Stephenson's bags meet all those criteria and in addition don't follow the standard but poor practice of putting compressible insulation in the underside of the bags. They are not inexpensive but they do provide above average viewing pleasure on their website.

http://www.warmlite.com/bags_In.htm

wardrow

Adventurer
check out the Big Agnes King Solomon. My wife and I have used it in the coldest of cold and the warmest of warm.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Stephenson's bags meet all those criteria and in addition don't follow the standard but poor practice of putting compressible insulation in the underside of the bags. They are not inexpensive but they do provide above average viewing pleasure on their website.

http://www.warmlite.com/bags_In.htm

Wow i hope for 8 bills the girl comes with it :Wow1: Actually they look perfect but are a little out of my budget. I was thinking more in the $300 range, but those bags are sweet.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
For being up off of the ground you may need to consider a insulating pad for the cold nights. When we compress the insulation as we sleep in it the bottom side will get cold.

Well I place a thick paco pad on top of my cot for extra comfoft and insulation. And I have to admit my temperpedic pillow comes along as well lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles