Someone please explain this to me??

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
http://www.equipt1.com/h/component/...egory_id,153/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,31/

I am curious if anyone has used this device? I "think" I understand it but not really. For the most part I have given up trying to find a place to put a 2nd battery in my engine bay, so now I am looking at other options. I would only need this extra power when camping, ect. Could I put this box in the bed of my truck and use this to run my fridge and stuff? It says you can connect it to your main battery system, so does your host vehicle charge it then? Sorry just a weee bit confused here. Any insite on this would be great.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Awesome system. We install them in vehicles with Flippacs, I run one in my own. It comes complete, all hardware included. I like the system better than a separate isolator, cables etc. I like the fact that that the cable connection is an andersen plug so that it can be moved easily to another vehicle.
It houses a group 31 battery (105 Ah). All of the electronics are housed in the unit. Only cables need to be run to the host vehicle battery terminals. It does not connect for the first 5 mins after the vehicle has started to allow the starting battery to recover. Once connected, it starts charging. Rate of charge is dependent upon your alternator capacity. I have a 140 amp alternator and the system reaches full charge in about 2-3 hours of driving from full depletion.Another nice feature is that it remains connected to the starting battery until it reaches 12.7 volts, allowing you to draw some of the starting battery for house use without risking compete depletion.

I ha. ve the technical data for it and will scan & post later

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Yes I think you have the general idea.

This is a portable energy supply with it's own breakers, 12 volt outlets, isolator and battery monitor.

It has an Anderson connector so you can hook it up to your alternator to charge the deep cycle battery in the unit. You have to supply the battery.

It's ideal if you want to be able to move the unit from vehicle to vehicle, or vehicle to trailer. You can also use it as a removable 12 volt source, or in conjunction with a plug in inverter, a 110 volt source.

It is basically a plug and play unit with everything built in. We have been using them in conjunction with our FlipPac builds as an energy source within the bed of the truck.

(Mario was quicker on the draw than I was)

Last edited:

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
This unit, or something like it, is a good idea, but does not provide the "double duty" that a true dual battery set-up can. It don't think it is intended to start a vehicle, though you could swap batteries, nor does it appear to be designed to run high amp draws like a winch. Otherwise a nice piece of kit.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Would it be ideal for me to saaay,, go out for a week or so running my ARB Fridge and perhaps a few LED lights?

Martyn

Would it be ideal for me to saaay,, go out for a week or so running my ARB Fridge and perhaps a few LED lights?

Well you need to do some calculations on how much draw your fridge has. If it's the older ARB you are going to average 1.2 amps/hr or 28.8 amps in a 24 hour period.

If you have a 4 or 6 gauge wire coming from the alternator or primary battery to the Power Pack via the Anderson connection then it should charge the pack quickly. If you are driving every day or every few days it should take care of your needs.

If you are not recharging from the vehicle then you have to do some calculation based on the battery you put in the Power Pack, and the available amps you have to use until it's discharged to 50%.

pcampbell

Adventurer
That looks like a really nice setup. I've got the issue of having two vehicles that might get used for any given trip and contemplating a trailer design. This could allow me to share one auxiliary system between them all.

Anyone got the dimensions of the unit? Especially the height?

Martyn

That looks like a really nice setup. I've got the issue of having two vehicles that might get used for any given trip and contemplating a trailer design. This could allow me to share one auxiliary system between them all.

Anyone got the dimensions of the unit? Especially the height?

Elcoyote is using a Power Pack in his FlipPac conversion. I'll ask him to measure it up and post dimensions.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I saw this unit at the Overland Expo, like all things National Luna builds, it was of very high quality, but like you, I did not really understand what it was for.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Elcoyote is using a Power Pack in his FlipPac conversion. I'll ask him to measure it up and post dimensions.

Here's the specs:

• Physical size 500mm L (19.68”) x 260mm W (10.23”) x 300mm H (11.81”) Weight 5.2Kg ( 11.5 lbs excluding battery and cables). Fits Group 31 battery: typically 105 Ah and 32 Kg (70 lbs).
• Power supply 8Vdc - 15Vdc (display range: 11.4V - 14.2V) Switched current 85 amp (continuous) , 400 amp (peak)
• Cable 7-metre red and black (14m total) with connector Connectors "Hella" style output (15A fused)
• "Cigarette lighter" output (15A fused) 50 amp input-output coupler (60A fused)
• 50 amp charge input (split-charge input)
• Remote port Suits removeable data cable for Dual Battery Controller Battery monitors 14-stage auxiliary battery monitor ( 11.4V - 14.2V)
• 7-stage input voltage monitor (12.6V - 14.2V) Power consumption
• 60mA avg (standby) 780mA max (solenoid engaged)

pcampbell

Adventurer
Thanks Mario. That sounds like it would integrate nicely into a cargo platform. Gotta think more about that....

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I just dropped 3 grand in the last ten days buying "camping stuff". Somehow I want this too. Must......work.....overtime...........

saburai

Explorer
I'm intrested as well...

Do you think it would be practical (or even possible) to set this unit up as a true dual battery system? To use for high draw things like winching?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz