camp/work lights

Loober

Adventurer
Ive been looking and have not found anything that meets my expectations.

I am looking for a camp/work light that bolts to a tab not like the traditional work lights that hang from something and are usually long tubular shaped.

I want to be able to bolt to a tab on my swingout and use it when im cooking on the tailgate or what not.

So preferably it needs to be on some sort of a swivel so it can be easily pointed in all sort of directions.

Also be HID so i can have it on for long periods of time without the truck on.

And dont want it to be super huge, the size of those cheap autozone work lights would be perfect.

Thanks

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Hella Matadors work fine. They swivel all around and up and down. HELLA FF beams are awesome but super bright for a cooking light and you would need your own swivel.. better for setting up camp or working on a rig at night. AT sells a LED work/camp lamp that seems pretty nice and would attract less bugs and not draw as much as a halogen. HID camp/work lamp?.... haven't seen one of those.

Loober

Adventurer
wow thanks for the quick reply, the AT one is exactly what i was looking for.

Your right the hella would be a little overkill for my application.

Im thinking of putting wingnuts on the AT one that way it can be locked in place without the use of wrenches

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
No sweat. We use a Hella Matador and a HELLA FF worklamp. Inside our kitchen area we have an old little LED light with a swivel head (dont know where it came from) and we use an ARB Fluorescent Adventure light.

Have you thought about just hanging an ARB adventure light? They make a LED version now and so does VisionX. They're nice, portable and don't draw hardly any power. You can even get a cheap knock off at Sears and Harbor Freight.

slomatt

Adventurer
I've been planning to build a DIY LED camp light using 4 Cree XRE LEDs with a separate reflector for each. The LEDs would be angled slightly to give a wider light pattern, and assuming roughly 800ma per LED total power draw would be right around 12w (12v @ 1a) for all 4. This lightweight unit would mount on top of a telescoping pole that could magnet mounted anywhere on the truck and plugged into a cigarette lighter socket. The problem is that this is currently stuck in limbo-land waiting for me to find time to work on it. :)

- Matt

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Ive been looking and have not found anything that meets my expectations.

I am looking for a camp/work light that bolts to a tab not like the traditional work lights that hang from something and are usually long tubular shaped.

I want to be able to bolt to a tab on my swingout and use it when im cooking on the tailgate or what not.

So preferably it needs to be on some sort of a swivel so it can be easily pointed in all sort of directions.

Also be HID so i can have it on for long periods of time without the truck on.

And dont want it to be super huge, the size of those cheap autozone work lights would be perfect.

Thanks
I mounted a maxxima led light to a magnetic base with a coiled cord works great. Just plop it down on a metal surface and your good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94