Silvers Xterra Build Thread

Silver dude

Xplorer
Guess its about time I make one of these.

Mods as of 7/27/09:
Volant Air intake
Alcan leaf springs
Shrockworks Sliders
Shrockworks Winch bumper
ARB front air locker
Hella 500 series with HID bulbs
32" BFG a/t's on Nissan frontier wheels
Loads of stereo system upgrades
Fully synthetic fluids
High amp alternator swap
Scan gauge II
Husky Floor liners

Mods awaiting installation:
SLR UCA's
SLR Steering kit
AC heavy duty tierod adjusters
Sway away Torsion bars 20% stiffer
Bilstein 7100 series shocks
Rough Country steering stabilizer

DSC07107.jpg

DSC07309.jpg

DSC07535.jpg

DSC07561.jpg

After adding armor
DSC08575.jpg

DSC08578.jpg

Lights
DSC08904.jpg

Last edited:

Silver dude

Xplorer
Thanks fella's:safari-rig:

Finally getting things installed...

Got a store display Volant intake super cheap on ebay a while back. Oh I love the sound that erupts, even my import friend is jealous. He claims it sounds a lot like a Suburu boxer engine. The power increase was nice as well. Pretty much double what removing the resonators did for me. I love it's semi sealed construction. But, you may be asking whats with that blue line?
DSC09076.jpg

Oh, well that is the ARB Air compressor. I scored a used R200a air locker for under $300 just couldn't pass it up. I must say I wonder why I didn't get one sooner. After just testing this locker out in the ditch in my front yard, it will be only be a matter of time before I get one for the rear. You have just so much more control and capability its crazy.
DSC09078.jpg

I went the extra mile and sleeved the line to protect it from the elements.
DSC09063.jpg

Installed the whole schbang myself. It was my first time setting gears but we all have to start somewhere. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade so I was instructed pretty well in school, it went pretty easy.
DSC08985.jpg

DSC09074.jpg

While the diff was removed I then took the time to install my SLR diff drop kit.

Stock
DSC08972.jpg

SLR
DSC09084.jpg

Yeah not much to look at but the diff is lower by 5/8 of a inch to reduce binding of the CV's once lifted. The offset bushings were a chore to install. Lifting the the heavy diff off my chest and into the frame was the worst part of the whole deal.

I installed a switch bucket in the lower section of the dash deleting that useless small bucket to house the ARB switches.
DSC09091.jpg

I was very happy I went with the ARB compressor over a custom onboard air setup I was considering. The wiring was plug and play.
DSC09094.jpg

Don't have a picture of the dash switches installed I'll have to upload one later.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Last Sunday, I bought a case of beer and had my buddy out to help me install the rear section of the lift. After removing the sway bar we took the leafs and shocks off.
DSC09109.jpg

Alcans, yes there is a difference. Ordered them for 3" of lift I got about 2 1/2" which is what I sort of wanted anyway.
DSC09105.jpg

Shocks yeah again I can't really see the difference in quality. Hmm...
DSC09113.jpg

Bilstein 7100 series fully rebuildable, Xterra specific valving, 12" travel short body.
DSC09115.jpg

DSC09121.jpg

DSC09122.jpg

Stock
DSC09104.jpg

Lifted
DSC09126.jpg

I am stunned with the difference in ride quality. I didn't think it would be such a large dramatic difference. Seriously the X went from a old stiff car, to a motocrosser. The rear is just so smoothly dampened and progressive. I can take rough cracked up roads with no issue. Where as before the X felt like I was driving on marbles. I love the difference and can't wait to get to the changes for the front.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Got more done this past week...

Another day in the shop.
DSC09137.jpg

The X didn't want to cooperate at all. We ended up sawzawing all of the UCA bolts. The pitman arm made my 3 jaw puller explode and shoot across the shop. So a professional cutting job by my friend was done to relive the taper tension on it.
DSC09130.jpg

After another puller was placed on it BAM! with a shot gun like noise it popped right off.
DSC09132.jpg

SLR goods going in.
DSC09138.jpg

SLR Steering + Idler arm brace. The quality of SLR stuff blows L&P out of the water. Lazer cut and tig welded by hand. Despite needing a alignment I can already notice a difference in the crispness of the more solid components.
DSC09153.jpg

DSC09158.jpg

Sway away Power Bars stiffer then stock. The X definitely rides more controlled, were as before it was wallowy plush. It rides a little stiffer, once I get a winch and better shocks I'm thinking it will be where it should be.
DSC09160.jpg

SLR stage 4 UCA's and AC adjusters.
DSC09155.jpg

Silver dude

Xplorer
With the headlights on the switches lower sections light up. I'm impressed with the compressor it's been 2 weeks now and no air loss.
DSC09171.jpg

Here's my other switches.
DSC09175.jpg

I relocated the dimmer to the fuse box to make room. I never adjusted it anyways.
DSC09176.jpg

2 1/2 inches of lift.
DSC09141.jpg

It's looks way way more ************ in person photos do no justice.
DSC09145.jpg

DSC09150.jpg

Going wheeling in the U.P of Michigan in a week, more to come as I prepare.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Nicely done!! Where did you find SLR parts?

Spencer himself, a few months back he was looking to clear out the shop of inventory. I think he is still in the game but just doesn't want the volume he used to have. That or he's just trying to make a few bucks during the recession. Either way I stocked up on a bunch of goods when I had the chance. I've got the stage 4 shock hoops here also, just waiting for the funds to recover enough to buy the proper shocks.

Silver dude

Xplorer
For now a quick flashlight install.

I pulled the carpet up and boy am I glad I did, would have been bad if I drilled through the wire harness hidden under the carpet.
DSC09246.jpg

Drilled holes stacked 1/4" nuts and added a little silicone to keep it water tight.
DSC09250.jpg

Pushed through carpet.
DSC09252.jpg

Sexy Blue LED Mag light (Hey amazon had that color on clearance what can I say)
DSC09260.jpg

Click
DSC09254.jpg

Not going anywhere now, gone are the days of me digging for it under the seat or on the rear floorboards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94