Silvers Xterra Build Thread

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Did the "put it in the door pocket" option not work? Or do you have other stuff there? I know I'm keeping an REI stuffed rain jacket in the door's cupholder. That way if I ever need it, it's easily accessible.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Yeah door pocket wasn't quite large enough for a 3D.

I installed my Lev-o-gage's and finally mounted my Midland CB. The Midland unit is really cool, its basically a hand held with slick adapters to plug into the X and convert it into a vehicle mounted radio. I like it as its easily stowable as I never use the Cb except when wheelin.
DSC09305.jpg

DSC09278.jpg

Thanks to my Cobra Mag mount antenna range is pretty good. From inside my garage I was listening to truckers 2-3 miles away at least.
DSC09271.jpg

It screws right off the mag mount so I can fit in the garage. Stows right in the seat pocket ready for use.
DSC09289.jpg

Then I went to work fabricating a longer bracket for my stabilizer. The stabilizer is a Rough Country brand unit designed for the 4 cylinder Nissan Frontier. Why Rough country? Well its half the price of the Rancho unit and it comes with all the hardware. Not to mention its a huge shock, I had one on my previous ride and was impressed enough to want one for the X. However, because it was designed around the 4 cylinder engine the stabilizer won't fit properly do to the 6 cylinders oil filter being in the way.

So out came a strip of steel which I beat profusely in my vice to get the bends needed for clearance.
DSC09233.jpg

DSC09240.jpg

Finished product
DSC09298.jpg

DSC09300.jpg

Made a shovel holder using the write up some one posted on Clubxterra.org. I figured I might be riding on a few loamy beaches so it wouldn't be a bad idea.
DSC09301.jpg

Basic chain link fence parts.
DSC09304.jpg

adrenaline503

Explorer
A quick question, were your sway aways marked left and right / front and back? I have seome used ones and dont see any marks.

Ruination Fan

Adventurer
They should be stamped "L" or "R". Find where the part number is, then where the hole/dimple in the t-bar the letter should be stamped "L" (left of the hole/dimple) or "R" (right of the hole/dimple). Hope this helps, even if you see some mark to the left or the right of the holes, that should be that sides bar.

adrenaline503

Explorer
I figured it out. There were marks but I had to heat it up a bit and then use a brass brush for them to show. Now its riding much lower up front for some reason. FML. Thanks for the help.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Man i haven't updated this build thread in a while.
I've since installed
3.9:1 transfer case gears
A rear ARB air locker to add to the front locker
Smittybilt 8500 XRC winch with the synthetic rope.
Tons of small mods.

Here is some pictures from the past few years.

2011-09-10_02-42-35_510.jpg

2011-08-09_11-23-11_42.jpg

528617686_photobucket_26497_.jpg

DSC00651_zps267682e7.jpg

DSC_0325-1.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

Rebuild the transmission in my garage.
2012-07-28_00-43-39_359.jpg

Interior work
20121209_114345.jpg

2012-03-11_12-09-54_242.jpg

Installed a Tablet mount last night.
20130713_175132_zps3bcc7353.jpg

20130713_174902_zps42a02e26.jpg

Xterabl

Adventurer
Wow, fantastic mods you've got and thanks for the update.
Question for you (and others, I suppose): If you only have "enough" money for ONE, which would you pick: low t-case gears, or rear ARB locker?
(Yeah, I realize it's kind of an open-ended question; but I'm interested to hear opinions on the respective pros/cons)

Last edited:

Silver dude

Xplorer
If you have a manual trans it's definitely the transfer case gears first do to throttle control issues at a low pace. In a area with tough lines like Moab, Utah the gears were indispensable. Otherwise, if you have a automatic transmission the locker should be first as it make the vehicle more immediately capable. With the torque converter in a auto you have decent throttle control over rugged terrain without constant stalling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz