Chicken on the grill

Darton

Adventurer
Hey guys how's the best way to grill a whole chicken on the BBq? I don't have a rotisserie so other methods need to be used. I just remembered I've got one thawed in the fridge that I was gonna cook saturday and forgot. I need to do it today before it spoils.

D

Deleted member 9101

yes..beer butt chicken. When he raises his arms and surrenders... the chicken is done.

SGNellett

Adventurer
Shove a beer can up it's keister and set it on the grill! I usually mix the beer with bbq sauce, and depending on your grill, foil underneath might be a good idea. Low heat, take your time, might take a few hours!

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Yes, Beer can chicken with Bud.

It's patriotic!
P7040080.jpg

P7040077.jpg

They came out really juicy!
P7040081.jpg

When it's brown it's cooking, when it's black it's done!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
^^ Yeah those looks a tad burnt. They should be golden. The big part of it is leaving the door closed and stop looking... use the BBQ like an oven. Low heat around 350. Should take like 2 hours per bird. New castle or a REAL beer works good.. to me bud light or any light beer doesn't have enough flavor to be worth doing.

Whatever you do, don't try Whiskey butt chicken... it's gross... take my word for it :D

XJINTX

Explorer
Here in TX anyway, we can buy a holder for the can and the chickens... makes it easier :)

Just slow penetrating heat... mix your normal seasonings and such with a little balsam (SP?) vinegar and the beer in the can 2/3 or so full and use some to baste.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yeah I could imagine. I know what whiskey does to my butt. Noway I'd want it doin that to my dinner.

Beer can chicken it is.

Are you saying beer in your butt was better?:Wow1:

Sorry it's been a long day so I couldn't resist.:sombrero:

Darton

Adventurer
LOL more like beer going out of my butt is better. EWWW Anyway......

So it piss poured rain lastnight. I ended up making beer can chicken in the oven which was still awesome. I used a chili lime rub I got at William Sanoma awhile back. It turned out really good. I also used a remote thermometer and pull the chicke at 182 degrees and let it rest for a few minutes so the temp would hit 185. Thanks for all the suggestions.

100_4654.jpg

zukrider

Explorer
ive got a grill book that this recipe. you make up a butter "spread" to your liking. they used garlic and chives and some other stuff. anyway, you use a spoon to put the "spread" in under the skin. then use your fingers to move it around underneath and spread it out.

this process basically puts the spread into the meat as the natural juices leave. i havent tried it yet, but it looked great.

there is anotherone too, called spatchcocked chicken. basically, you take a pair of shears and cut along both sides of the backbone removing the bone. then you butter, salt, and pepper the inside and out. put it on the grill inside down first, then flip.

unfortunately the book is on loan to a friend so i cant give you heats or times or anything.

happy bbq!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne