How do the Mombasa RTT's stack up?

DWphoto

Adventurer
I too have a Mombasa RTT. I bought mine 2nd hand about a year ago(I think it was used 2 or 3 times). We have probably used it almost 40 nights and still is like new... Ive camped in some pretty extreme conditions (12 degrees - 115 degrees). The cover has seen better days, sun, snow, trees have taken it's toll.. I called them up asked if they sell just the covers and they are sending me a new cover for FREE!..Hows that for service.

Few pics of it mounted.

Shaver lake in March
3341047433_f3a8b3a507_o.jpg

Packed up on the trailer.
3762917690_0f327db589_b.jpg

Jeepman13126

Tent

When I purchased mine it was on sale for $650.00 dollars. For that price it is one heck of a deal. I am not sure I would pay too much more than that though. It is a very sturdy floor and frame work with a nice heavy canvas type material. I have only used it a couple of times but it downpoored on one of my trips and it did not leak at all. I am very happy with mine and got exactly what I expected for the price.

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
I have been using my Mombasa Expedition model for the last 2.5 years without issue. Grant it I'm more of a weekend warrior, but it has been used at least one weekend a month since I've own it. Great product, great value.

Jacque

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I think you need to look at the Mombassa as a cost/ratio thingy. For the $$ it is absolutley worth it. Like almost everything used in Overlanding, you get what you pay for. Sure, a $2200 RTT will be much better quality, but not everybody has that kind of dough. Here is a pic of my new Mombassa finally mounted and ready to go...

Attachments

• tent2.jpg
    tent2.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 114

rctr03

Adventurer
i've got 60+ nights in mine in the last 2 years from -3 to 100 with no problems. the top tore in the first year and chris @car top camper replaced it for free no questioned asked. it was well worth the 800.00 at the time of purchase. fernado had not hit the market at the time of purchase.

jimmy

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
My new Mombassa tent just went through perhaps one of the worst wind/rain storms I have ever experianced.(And a tornado watch to boot). SW Kansas for 8 days in the Cimmoron National Grasslands. This thing is bombproof! (I did ask myslef about the lightning safety issue, but thankfully that never ended up being answered. Great tent!

Mashurst

Adventurer
My new Mombassa tent just went through perhaps one of the worst wind/rain storms I have ever experianced.(And a tornado watch to boot). SW Kansas for 8 days in the Cimmoron National Grasslands. This thing is bombproof! (I did ask myslef about the lightning safety issue, but thankfully that never ended up being answered. Great tent!

Were you sleeping in it at the time? Wind is the one thing I worry about with RTTs (I've never used one). They seem like such sails. I would be interested to hear about anyone that has waited out a good storm in one. Did it stay tight? flap? Do you tie the fly down over the door?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Were you sleeping in it at the time? Wind is the one thing I worry about with RTTs (I've never used one). They seem like such sails. I would be interested to hear about anyone that has waited out a good storm in one. Did it stay tight? flap? Do you tie the fly down over the door?

Yosh and i were down by mexico with 55-65mph winds in a tropical storm. As soon as it hit, she climbed inside with Dixie and i closed up the windows for her. I left out all the ran fly's. The wind hit so hard from the side that the ladder/platform area rose up in the air off the ground :Wow1: While the storm hit, i stood on the lower rung in the rain (it felt great , it was 110 degrees out). Yosh was too light to keep the hanging platform down. The tent handled it very well. I was figuring i would have needed to fold it down, but never had too.

We've probably been in high winds.. 5-6 times in our Mombasa and it's still holding up fine. In fact, about a week ago we were in Death Valley and were hit with 45-50 mph winds one night. It did just fine.. its scary, it makes me worry that its going to break.. but it always does fine.

Also, I keep the fly up over the door and windows, but the back portion i usually bungee tight so it doesn't flap all night.

Mashurst

Adventurer
Yosh and i were down by mexico with 55-65mph winds in a tropical storm. As soon as it hit, she climbed inside with Dixie and i closed up the windows for her. I left out all the ran fly's. The wind hit so hard from the side that the ladder/platform area rose up in the air off the ground :Wow1: While the storm hit, i stood on the lower rung in the rain (it felt great , it was 110 degrees out). Yosh was too light to keep the hanging platform down. The tent handled it very well. I was figuring i would have needed to fold it down, but never had too.

We've probably been in high winds.. 5-6 times in our Mombasa and it's still holding up fine. In fact, about a week ago we were in Death Valley and were hit with 45-50 mph winds one night. It did just fine.. its scary, it makes me worry that its going to break.. but it always does fine.

Also, I keep the fly up over the door and windows, but the back portion i usually bungee tight so it doesn't flap all night.

So does that read the tent will be ok but you wont be getting any sleep?
I do camp on the beach a lot and the wind tends to kick up at night.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
So does that read the tent will be ok but you wont be getting any sleep?
I do camp on the beach a lot and the wind tends to kick up at night.

Depends what kind of sleeper you are. Any tent is going to flap and make noise in winds. That's not RTT specific, thats present in all tents.

brentbba

Explorer
Has anyone purchased the Mombasa RTT9009? It's similar to the ARB Simpson III at half the price. :drool: The ONLY pic I can find, even on Mombasa's site is the one Jacque has up and it only shows the outside of the tent w/o the poles up supporting the darker green fly.

I'd be very interested in seeing how much the overhang on this tent has beyond the sleeping platform and if possible one with the changing room attached. In other words, interior shots. With a lack of info, I can only 'assume' that the sleeping area does close off from the overhang area, but there's no way to tell. Shoot, there's even a lack of decent pics of the ARB for that matter regarding this.

BTW - it'll get mounted on a M101CDN.

TIA!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles