Handheld CB

gary in ohio

Explorer
I dont like some of the old "Emergency CB's" that are sold in little plastic cases. They are neither a good handheld CB or good mobile and try to be both.

The midland referenced here is nice. The little rubber duck antennas are going to make them VERY short range but they will work. They also eat batteries so have a good supply. For range the older telescopic antenna models from the 70/80 were good but the antennas wouldn't survive much abuse.

If you talking under a mile communications and handheld CB can be usable, but beyond that forget, at least for reliable communications.

M

modelbuilder

I think a hand held with a good hard mount antenna will be fine.

hook that radio up to a Wilson 1000/5000

Last edited:

njtaco

Explorer
I'm not going to tell you not to get a hand held due to range limitations, because that doesn't apply to you...

I'm not going to tell you to permanently mount a CB in your truck because you don't want to, with good reason...

I'm not going to recommend a particular brand or model, because I have no experience firsthand with any of the current offerings...

I AM going to tell you I like the Midland unit pictured above with a mag mount external antenna based on specs and recommendations. If I were buying for ME, that is likely what I'd buy. The price is even tolerable for a cheapskate like me. :)

This is probably your plan anyways, but I'd run a dedicated accessory receptacle right from the battery for whatever hand held you get. Switch it for "accessory" with a relay if you want to disconnect power when the truck is off. 2c

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
I have a radio shack handheld (maybe, I just looked in the drawer that holds all my battery powered stuff and its missing)and it works very well. Does eat batteries. Keep it on low power if you can.

Interesting comment on frs and cb range. My experience has always been the opposite.

norshor

Observer
I have run the Midland 75-822 for about a year. It seems to have tuned pretty well with my 2' Firestick. The reason I went with it is the versatility. If I need to get out and spot for someone, I can swap the antenna and battery pack out of the glove box really quickly. I also like the fact that I have NOAA anytime I need it. It's especially nice in camp, because I can leave it on the table, and tune into weather forecasts wheneve I need it.

M

modelbuilder

And how is it out on the trail? Can you communicate clearly with the other rigs?

Guess it all depends on the antenna correct?

M

modelbuilder

For real, an inexpesive radio with a quality antenna will give you better results. I was almost sold on the Midland unit above, but opted for a set up like this instead...

http://www.walcottcb.com/combinatio...-little-wil-antenna-p-1208.html?cPath=340_377

Don't forget to tune your antenna's SWR for your particular set up. It's key to your radio's performance.

I like that. I could set it in my cup holder area....hmmm.....

It's between the Midland or the Wolcott...

norshor

Observer
And how is it out on the trail? Can you communicate clearly with the other rigs?

Guess it all depends on the antenna correct?

It works just fine. I run a 2' Firestick on a hood channel mount. My SWR's weren't perfect, but acceptable. I can't recall the exact reading. If I switched out to rooftop mount, or ran a 3' off my current mount, I assume it would be better. I was able to keep in touch with all the rigs we had last year on the UP trip, and for a good part of the trip I was 1 or 2 from the rear. No complaints at all.

dms1

Explorer
I just recently bought the Midland 75-822 Cb Radio and it works good as a hand held unit, I haven't used it as a mobile unit with an external Microphone yet.

These Radios have been on back order since before May of this year (when I originally wanted to buy one), I finally was able to purchase one in early August.

ScoutII

Adventurer
Since nobody replied, I thought I would.

Those $20 fiberglass (fire stick) antennas are great for high power. But I've had marginal success with them when running 4 watts. I like the Wilson antenna's with the stainless steel whip. i.e the Wilson 1000, but there about 4 times the price. The radio will only be as good as the antenna.
If your planing on talking not much farther then you can throw a rock your good. I know a lot of people use them when traveling in a group. Its a lot less formal then HAM radio and work great for that. Now for about the same money you could get a nice 2m radio like the Yaesu FT2900. You would have to take a test which will require a bit of study, but all the question are published so you can take online practice test and would be able to pass the test is short order. ( you passed your drivers test Ah) The only issue would be getting others to make the switch. There was a trail break down a few months back and a friends CB could not reach us as we were just over the hill about a 1/2-3/4 mi away. I think that was the nail in the coffin and they will be adding a HAM radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles