Handheld CB

M

modelbuilder

I am looking for a hand held CB. I would like to buy something used.

Any suggestions on what models I should look for? Brands I should steer clear of?

I've been looking on ebay and craigslist. It just needs to work on the trail in the convoy.

Thinking of bidding on this set up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300332514389

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
In Yosh's TJ we use a Midland 75-820 and it works great. It has a cigarette and a hard mount antenna option that is included too.

image_resizer.php

It rides fulltime in the LC as a spotter radio.. so if you want to see it at the M&G i can show it you.

Last edited:
M

modelbuilder

What do you think about the one in the ebay link of my first post?

M

MuddyOval

Hand held CB's seem to eat batteries and have a range measured in inches from what I've seen. I tried one that was pretty expensive and it ended up being nearly useless, but not to say they are ALL bad. A permanent mounted one, even new, can be had for uber cheap if you shop around. The local 'Big Lots' store had a stripped down little Uniden for $19 new.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Hand held CB's seem to eat batteries and have a range measured in inches from what I've seen. I tried one that was pretty expensive and it ended up being nearly useless, but not to say they are ALL bad. A permanent mounted one, even new, can be had for uber cheap if you shop around. The local 'Big Lots' store had a stripped down little Uniden for $19 new.

is it true, that most CB's are about the same, and that its the array that makes the most difference?

(to a certain extent, of course, I'm sure a $500.00 CB is better than a $40 one, in a lot of ways)

-B

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
As I said in your other thread on the same topic, Cbs have very limited range and hand helds have even less range. GMRS/FRS have more range than CBs, some up to 10-20 kms vs. CBs at 1-5 kms at best. Freak/ideal conditions, CBs can get over 5 miles but rare and don't count on them.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

What do you think about the one in the ebay link of my first post?

I think that radio is fine. I like the weather channel feature.

Here is a link to the Cobra site for more info.

http://cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=311&category_ID=33

RDTRP_HO.jpg

If you could hook that radio up to a Wilson 1000/5000 on your roof while driving, it should even put out like a standard in cab mount CB Radio. I would add a Wilson if it were me. That little rubber ducky mag mount it comes with is no better than the little rubber ducky attached to the radio.

Then you also have a mobile walkabout CB Radio for around camp, etc. and for spotting like somebody else mentioned.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Antenna Adapter for Handheld CBs
SKU: HA-BNC

This adapter lets you connect any standard mobile CB antenna to your handheld CB radio. This allows you to use an antenna on the outside of your car for greatly improved range.

- BNC to SO 239 Adapter
- Allows User to Connect Handheld CB Radio to Mobile CB Antenna
- When Connected to Mobile CB Antenna, Range is Greatly Improved
- Fits All Handheld CB's

Price $5.95

http://cobra.com/products/handheld-cb-radios/antenna-adapter-for-handheld-cbs

Antenna%20Adapter%202.jpg

M

MuddyOval

I'd rather have a $27 CB with a nice antenna than a $250 CB with a cheap antenna. Are you *really* set on a hand held?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'd rather have a $27 CB with a nice antenna than a $250 CB with a cheap antenna. Are you *really* set on a hand held?

Don't know about the Cobra Handheld but the Midland unit is an awesome one.

In car, I use the wired mount. Powered via a cig lighter socket and wired to an external antenna it works as well as any properly set up standard CB.

Out of the car, I slide of the hard wired mount and slide on to the battery pack containing 8 AA batteries, and attach the stubby antenna. Presto, I now have a handheld that can be used as needed outside the rig.

About the only downside is the speaker volume on the unit is not that loud with the stereo blaring but that's only an issue if I'm using it for sporadic comms.

On the way to the trail & on the trail we're usually discussing all sorts of stuff regarding rigs, camping gear, past adventures, or spotting each other on the rocks so the sound isn't an issue because we're focused on what's being said on the CB versus having the stereo blaring.

M

modelbuilder

I want a hand held becuase I already have a HAM installed in the rig. Don't want to spend the time to install another radio. The hand held that I used before worked just fine especially when all the rigs were traveling in the convoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles