Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keen Canyoneering Expedition

Default Canyoneering Expedition

Canyoneering Adventure, Arizona

Sponsored by Keen Footwear

The 6 pairs of Keen Boulders have arrived. I will start sending them to the team shortly. This model has a much more aggressive sole, and is designed for rugged trekking and water crossings.

We will also need some smaller dry bags. I am doing some investigation, and will send out some gear requests on Monday of next week.

Locatation: Due to my state of moving from Casa Grande to Prescott, I need to have the venue closer to home. I have found a great area and set of canyons to explore. The trek will start with James Canyon, dropping down several falls on rappel. There are also a few long swims, with one being 70 yards! Lots of bouldering and scrambles.

Then we will exit the canyon system and camp for the afternoon along FR237. In the morning we will explore the pumphouse wash and Kelly Canyons, both easier than the day before, but a beautiful area.

These canyons are located about 2 hours north of Phoenix between I17 and 89a.

Schedule: UPDATED

Friday 9/23: 3:00 p.m., we will leave Prescott and drive to the camp and meet in camp at 4:00 p.m. I am going to scout a campsite this Saturday, and will post directions/waypoints.
    Saturday 9/24: Leave camp at 8:30 to trek James Canyon, return to camp mid-afternoon.
    Sunday 9/25: Leave camp at 8:00 and Trek Pumphouse and Kelly Canyons, and return to camp by 1-2:00 pm. Break camp.

Team: Locked

Greg
    Brooke
    Mark
    Scott
    Chris
    Uwe
    Last edited by Scott Brady; 09-14-2005 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Add detail
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen | Range Rover Classic | TE630

Default preparation

I spent some time reading through www.canyoneering.com. It doesn't seem to have very much traffic, but still had some solid information on ecology & etiquitte. I was hoping to find an overview of technique and technical information. Didn't learn much, except for a pretty cool new knot (beer knot).

I have the day free, so I'm heading off to the Library in Central Phx to see what I can find there. Any other suggestions where I can read up on canyoneering technique??
    Last edited by viatierra; 07-14-2005 at 12:35 PM.
    Greg
    2007 Tacoma
    KE7QOX

Scott,

Do you have firm dates on this trip yet? There is a chance we may run into you on our trek. We'll be in that neck of the woods but probably a week later. I plan to do a write up of our trip in the NA section. I'd like to get some feedback from those with experience on things we may have overlooked or what we have planned properly.
    dmc
    Dave Connors

Expedition Poseur
    2003 UZJ100 - Wynonna
    www.expeditionamericas.com

Quote Originally Posted by viatierra
    I spent some time reading through www.canyoneering.com. It doesn't seem to have very much traffic, but still had some solid information on ecology & etiquitte. I was hoping to find an overview of technique and technical information. Didn't learn much, except for a pretty cool new knot (beer knot).

I have the day free, so I'm heading off to the Library in Central Phx to see what I can find there. Any other suggestions where I can read up on canyoneering technique??

Canyoneering 2 (maybe 3?) by Steve Allen covers some technique. The trails in the book are in the Cedar Mesa and Dark Canyon area. Gravel and Long Canyon are both discussed in detail.
    dmc
    Dave Connors

Expedition Poseur
    2003 UZJ100 - Wynonna
    www.expeditionamericas.com

I have updated the first posting with all of the new trip details.
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal

Default The new plan

Scott,
    This sounds great! My school schedule will appreciate the changes. Samantha enjoys these smiley faces...
    Greg
    2007 Tacoma
    KE7QOX

OK, sign me up!

The Boulders look bitchin'

5 weeks to go...

Default Problem With The Dates...

hey adventure partners,

I have a slight problem with the dates now. The closing date on our house in Prescott just got moved from the 18th to the 25th because of appraisel delays. So, if I go into the mountains will all of you, poor Steph would be left to move the house alone.

Is it possible to move the trip to the 9,10, and 11th of SEPTEMBER or similar. Please let me know
    Last edited by Scott Brady; 07-30-2005 at 02:57 AM.
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal

Quote Originally Posted by expeditionswest
    hey adventure partners,

I have a slight problem with the dates now. The closing date on our house in Prescott just got moved from the 18th to the 25th because of appraisel delays. So, if I go into the mountains will all of you, poor Steph would be left to move the house alone.

Is it possible to move the trip to the 9,10, and 11th or similar. Please let me know
    First, congrats on the house!

Are you talking about August or September? August would be mid-week and kind of short notice to get the days of, particularly since I can't even ask till end of next week.
    I have a few of the August/September weekends still available.

Good point Uwe, sorry for the lack of detail.

If the date change does not work for everyone, I can keep it the same, and just adjust my moving schedule if required...
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast