Keen Canyoneering Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I've used a single dry bag for radios and other sundry items, in a first generation Soloman Adventure race pack (drain holes in the bottom), full synthetic clothing, with a 200 wt. fleece in the dry bag. Shoes and socks will be fully soaked, so try to use something that will drain well and no goretex (keeps water in too!)

I'd use a "dry" rope, but not really worry about keeping my harness and other gear too dry....it ain't gonna happen. The rappell is into a pool of water, so you're wet from the get go, and trying to stay dry will only slow you down.

The pools are usually very cold, during the longer swims you can feel the life being sucked out of you. Thus, be very aware of each individual's condition for hypothermia. If you're unsure of your swimming ability while pushing a pack in front of you, a low profile life jacket, such as a Lotus Designs kayak PFD, would be a good idea.

Trying to "climb" around the pools is usually a waste of time, as you'd need to use some bolts or other pro to make a route, and more dangerous than merely swimming.

Cellular phones and the handheld (motorola type) radios don't work for anything in the canyon, and the last time I did it I had to have a helicopter overhead to get a signal out, using a 7 watt handheld, so ya'll are on your own once you drop in!

Be safe guys! If I'm in town I'll try to show my face!

-H-

Scott Brady

Founder
Hltoppr said:
Shoes and socks will be fully soaked, so try to use something that will drain well and no goretex (keeps water in too!)

What do you think of the Keens (the picture of the shoe in the first post)? I think they will work pretty well for this trip. Keen Footwear has supplied a pair for all of the expedition members.

Hltoppr said:
I'd use a "dry" rope, but not really worry about keeping my harness and other gear too dry....it ain't gonna happen. The rappell is into a pool of water, so you're wet from the get go, and trying to stay dry will only slow you down.

At least one of the ropes will be dry (I am not sure about Greg or Brooke's ropes). Mine is a Maxim Leavittator 10.5mm x 60m, Dry.

Hltoppr said:
The pools are usually very cold, during the longer swims you can feel the life being sucked out of you. Thus, be very aware of each individual's condition for hypothermia. If you're unsure of your swimming ability while pushing a pack in front of you, a low profile life jacket, such as a Lotus Designs kayak PFD, would be a good idea.

Have you trekked these canyons? I am interested in your feedback if you have (mostly from a "is it really beautiful and allow for great pictures'' angle). I will probably bring at least one PFD for safety.

Hltoppr said:
Cellular phones and the handheld (motorola type) radios don't work for anything in the canyon, and the last time I did it I had to have a helicopter overhead to get a signal out, using a 7 watt handheld, so ya'll are on your own once you drop in!

I will bring my 5.5watt 2m handheld for communications to the trucks. It would be very cool if you stopped by. I will send you the waypoints of our intended camp spot. I would also be happy to bring enough food for an extra dinner too (you wont regret it :eatchicke )

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
whitethaiger said:
Good point. I still need to get that, so if any of you have additional suggestions let me know.

Uwe, I think I had sent you an email at one time... but I ended up with the Singing Rock "Balance" harness which was very affordable, has the padded loops, and the "rock n' lock" buckles. It looks very well made.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
Uwe, I think I had sent you an email at one time... but I ended up with the Singing Rock "Balance" harness which was very affordable, has the padded loops, and the "rock n' lock" buckles. It looks very well made.

Yes, thanks Chris, I found the email over the weekend. I'll go down to REI sometime during the week when their climbing rock is not so busy. I hope to test the thing right there in the store. They have a ~25 ft high climbing rock in the store

Scott Brady

Founder
It is a really good idea to test out the harness, especially with your height. Oh, would you like me to ship your shoes to you, or just wait until the trip... :box:

Attachments

• 1923.jpg
    1923.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 195

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
1. Keens....will work just fine. I prefer something with a bit more ankle protection, and use a Saloman Super Raid, with both ankles taped...but then again my ankles aren't the best....

2. That rope will work fine.

3. Yup, the last time I did it was a couple of years ago, so the scenery may have changed. It was very overgrown in sections. Just to check it out I may try to do a quick run with a buddy next week, depending upon monsoon conditions, as we're still getting some pretty torrential storms, which may flash flood the canyon. Probably start at about 0600 so that we're out by 1100 or so....I'll let you know.

4. Communications will be spotty at best in the canyon, but that radio will give you the best chance of punching out. Let someone know your expected return time, etc.

You guys are going to have a great time!

-H-

whitethaiger

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
It is a really good idea to test out the harness, especially with your height. Oh, would you like me to ship your shoes to you, or just wait until the trip... :box:

If you think it would be good to wear the shoes in a little on shorter walks please send them, otherwise I don't need them before the trip. I just don't want to hike with blisters... I don't remember if there was a wear-in period with the other sandals, but I wore them for shorter periods first.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have not found there to be a break in period. With the neoprene lining and running shoe sole, it is pretty much turn key.

It is totally up to you though Uwe. :ylsmoke:

Have you decided on travel plans yet? Do you intend to fly or drive?

brittan

Adventurer
If there is room I am a go...

If there is room I can make it. I have climging experience and gear. Scott...let me know. I have an extra seat too... If we are short ropes I hava a static line.
Brittan

whitethaiger

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
I have not found there to be a break in period. With the neoprene lining and running shoe sole, it is pretty much turn key.

It is totally up to you though Uwe. :ylsmoke:

Have you decided on travel plans yet? Do you intend to fly or drive?

That's how I remember the other sandals. Just bring them for the trip, don't loose them in all the moving :box: :box: :)

I'll probably drive. Flying is not all that much faster when looking at the door-to-door time AND it would involve drop-off/pick-up at both ends for both flights.

Scott Brady

Founder
brittan said:
If there is room I can make it. I have climging experience and gear. Scott...let me know. I have an extra seat too... If we are short ropes I hava a static line.
Brittan

Brittan,

I am so sorry I missed your post. You are more than welcome to come along, and trek, camp or otherwise. I will just need to be careful with the group and other images, as you will likely be wearing different shoes...

Scott Brady

Founder
I am going to go scout the canyons a bit this weekend, and find a good camp spot to meet at.

And now that I have hundreds of climbing routes right next to my house, I will be able to do more climbing and rope work.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
Finally got my harness (Singing Rock) last night. When I got home I realized I forgot to look at dry bags. From what I read above I think it might be useful to have something to keep a sweater dry.

Scott, what do you call 'Mid-day'? I am trying to decide when to drive out: Thursday night or very early on Friday.

Also, can I ride with someone (Chris?) from Prescott? Due to fuel prices I'd prefer to take Srisuda's car....

P.S. The forum is very, very slow right now for me and was down earlier.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Excellent news on the harness Uwe ;)

I have some small dry bags that Scott gave me, let me test one out and make sure it is in good working order, and I will let you know - you can use it.

Yes, you can definitely ride with me from Prescott.

Yea, same deal for me on the forum - it was unavailable last night and this morning.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have updated the first post with more detail.

Sorry about the forum performance. We will get it worked out soon (hardware failure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online