Keen Canyoneering Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Scott, from the first post:

"Friday 9/23: 3:00 p.m., we will leave Prescott and drive to the camp and meet in camp at 4:00 p.m."

FYI - I don't think there is any way we could make it to the camp from Prescott in only 1 hour, if you are talking about the first camp being on FR237. It will take more like 2 hours or so, if we go the quickest route up through Ash Fork to Flag. If we go through Sedona, it will take longer.

Scott Brady

Founder
Well, another prime example of the power of local knowledge. :D .

The map I looked at (mapsource) showed the best route as 69 to 169 to I17 to Mountain Air road exit, which is 70 miles... FR237 is accessed from Mountain Air.

I will be able to provide a better estimate after Saturdays scouting trip!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
expeditionswest said:
Well, another prime example of the power of local knowledge. :D .

The map I looked at (mapsource) showed the best route as 69 to 169 to I17 to Mountain Air road exit, which is 70 miles... FR237 is accessed from Mountain Air.

I will be able to provide a better estimate after Saturdays scouting trip!

Yea, you could go the 169 to I-17 route too. But I know that just to get to the 179 exit (for Sedona) off of I-17 takes about 1 hour. From there you still have to climb up into the higher country to get to Mtn. Air - so my guess is you will be at close to 2 hours to get to Mtn. Air, and then you will have to get on the slower FR from there.

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks for the feedback Baja. I will make a trip out there in a few days, and get a good sense of the time required. I intend to go in via I17, and come out to 89a and through Sedona and back to Prescott to gauge that time. It should be a beautiful drive! :sunflower

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
expeditionswest said:
Thanks for the feedback Baja. I will make a trip out there in a few days, and get a good sense of the time required. I intend to go in via I17, and come out to 89a and through Sedona and back to Prescott to gauge that time. It should be a beautiful drive! :sunflower

If you need any company, let me know ;)

articulate

Expedition Leader
Hey kids - I'm checking in....

Sorry I haven't been participating around here; I don't want to make the muses jealous.

Anyway, I had to stop wearing my shoes because I noticed some wear. It's just a tad that won't even show up in any photos, but I felt guilty anyway. :) I love them for biking, so I may have to make space in my budget to keep Keens in the "arsenal-o-footwear." I even get a lot of people asking about them, too.

For gear, I presume Brooke and I will be bringing our ropes, some hardware for anchor building, slings, etc. Any idea on what is available for rappel anchors (such as boulders and trees), or shall we just be prepared to be sliding hardware into the rock? How high is the tallest rap going to be? For weight and space savings, we have a rope that we cut in half for doing shorter climbs that do not necessitate a full 60 meters.

...and superb site, Scott.

Mark :victory:

Last edited:

whitethaiger

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
Uwe, did you get a locking carabiner to go with it?

No I didn't. So Scott, I'd like to borrow one from you.

Anything else I need to get? Maybe we should prepare one of our usual adventure gear lists :coffee: with items each individual needs to bring and group items.

What are your plans for that Friday morning? Will you guys be working or is there already time for fun stuff? :D Still trying to decide when to drive out. With a departure at 2-3pm from Prescott a Friday morning drive would be feasible.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Mark, I get lots of comments on the Keens too. People are diggin' 'em :ylsmoke:

Uwe, I will probably need to work for a few hours on Friday morning, but you are welcome to hang around - no problem.

Attachments

• hitchextention.JPG
    hitchextention.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 1

Scott Brady

Founder
Here are some more details:

Directions to camp. Take I17 to exit 333 and turn west. IMMEDIATELY after crossing the overpass, you will turn on a frontage road, just east of the Conoco (I think) gas station. You will be turning south, which will put you on FSR 237. It is ~4 miles to the campsite, which will be down in the canyon. There is a short trail that leads to the site, and would require high clearance.

The camp is at: N35 03.483 W111 43.062 (Datum, WGS84):

Here is a general area map-

Both canyon treks are approximately 4.5 miles from the put in to the camp.

canyons_map.gif

Scott Brady

Founder
And just a quick note on the area: I was just there yesterday, and it is BEYOND beautiful. Healthy forest, perfect campsite, heavy erosion on the canyon bottoms, clear water, etc.

This is going to be AWESOME

Attachments

• 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 4

Scott Brady

Founder
Meals!

And now, for the most important part of trip planning:

MEALS! :eatchicke

Friday Night: Everyone is pretty much on their own, as I expect stragglers, etc.

Saturday Morning: We will be leaving early, so it should be fast. Some coffee and a good carbo load.

Saturday Lunch: On the trail. Make sure to bring food you enjoy eating, and at least 100oz of water.

Saturday Dinner: I am supplying the dinner, which will be some yummy pasta (and lots of it) and bread. Oh, and dessert.

Sunday Morning: Another pretty quick breakfast

Lunch on the trail or on the road, depending on how quickly we hike the canyon.

Scott Brady

Founder
Sleeping Arrangements

What is everyone's plans for sleeping?

Scott: I am probably going to bring the Trooper, with the Car-Top-Tent.

Chris: He will be using the BajaResort I'm sure.

Uwe: Tent

If it would be helpful, I can tow the Jumping Jack up there, which could sleep Mark, Greg and Brooke, and ease your packing and set-up. It's up to you...

NOTE: THIS CAMP SPOT IS BIG AND VERY FLAT. IT OVERLOOKS PUMPHOUSE WASH AND THE CONFLUENCE OF KELLY CANYON. IT IS A VERY NICE SPOT.

Attachments

• tankside.jpg
    tankside.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 2,029
  • kamp kitchn storage.jpg
    kamp kitchn storage.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 13
  • kamp kitchn burner.jpg
    kamp kitchn burner.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 14
  • kamp kitchn case.jpg
    kamp kitchn case.jpg