Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Brady

Founder
Canyoneering Expedition

Canyoneering Adventure, Arizona​

Sponsored by Keen Footwear​

keen_boulder_tread.JPG

The 6 pairs of Keen Boulders have arrived. I will start sending them to the team shortly. This model has a much more aggressive sole, and is designed for rugged trekking and water crossings.

We will also need some smaller dry bags. I am doing some investigation, and will send out some gear requests on Monday of next week.

Locatation: Due to my state of moving from Casa Grande to Prescott, I need to have the venue closer to home. I have found a great area and set of canyons to explore. The trek will start with James Canyon, dropping down several falls on rappel. There are also a few long swims, with one being 70 yards! Lots of bouldering and scrambles.

Then we will exit the canyon system and camp for the afternoon along FR237. In the morning we will explore the pumphouse wash and Kelly Canyons, both easier than the day before, but a beautiful area.

These canyons are located about 2 hours north of Phoenix between I17 and 89a.

Schedule: UPDATED

Friday 9/23: 3:00 p.m., we will leave Prescott and drive to the camp and meet in camp at 4:00 p.m. I am going to scout a campsite this Saturday, and will post directions/waypoints.
Saturday 9/24: Leave camp at 8:30 to trek James Canyon, return to camp mid-afternoon.
Sunday 9/25: Leave camp at 8:00 and Trek Pumphouse and Kelly Canyons, and return to camp by 1-2:00 pm. Break camp.

Team: Locked

Greg
Brooke
Mark
Scott
Chris
Uwe

Attachments

• IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

viatierra

Explorer
preparation

I spent some time reading through www.canyoneering.com. It doesn't seem to have very much traffic, but still had some solid information on ecology & etiquitte. I was hoping to find an overview of technique and technical information. Didn't learn much, except for a pretty cool new knot (beer knot).

I have the day free, so I'm heading off to the Library in Central Phx to see what I can find there. Any other suggestions where I can read up on canyoneering technique??

Last edited:

dmc

Adventurer
Scott,

Do you have firm dates on this trip yet? There is a chance we may run into you on our trek. We'll be in that neck of the woods but probably a week later. I plan to do a write up of our trip in the NA section. I'd like to get some feedback from those with experience on things we may have overlooked or what we have planned properly.
dmc

dmc

Adventurer
viatierra said:
I spent some time reading through www.canyoneering.com. It doesn't seem to have very much traffic, but still had some solid information on ecology & etiquitte. I was hoping to find an overview of technique and technical information. Didn't learn much, except for a pretty cool new knot (beer knot).

I have the day free, so I'm heading off to the Library in Central Phx to see what I can find there. Any other suggestions where I can read up on canyoneering technique??

Canyoneering 2 (maybe 3?) by Steve Allen covers some technique. The trails in the book are in the Cedar Mesa and Dark Canyon area. Gravel and Long Canyon are both discussed in detail.
dmc

viatierra

Explorer
The new plan

Scott,
This sounds great! My school schedule will appreciate the changes. :p :D :) :eek: Samantha enjoys these smiley faces...

Scott Brady

Founder
Problem With The Dates...

hey adventure partners,

I have a slight problem with the dates now. The closing date on our house in Prescott just got moved from the 18th to the 25th because of appraisel delays. So, if I go into the mountains will all of you, poor Steph would be left to move the house alone.

Is it possible to move the trip to the 9,10, and 11th of SEPTEMBER or similar. Please let me know :)

Attachments

• 627.jpg
    627.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

whitethaiger

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
hey adventure partners,

I have a slight problem with the dates now. The closing date on our house in Prescott just got moved from the 18th to the 25th because of appraisel delays. So, if I go into the mountains will all of you, poor Steph would be left to move the house alone.

Is it possible to move the trip to the 9,10, and 11th or similar. Please let me know :)

First, congrats on the house! :cool:

Are you talking about August or September? August would be mid-week and kind of short notice to get the days of, particularly since I can't even ask till end of next week.
I have a few of the August/September weekends still available.

Scott Brady

Founder
Good point Uwe, sorry for the lack of detail.

If the date change does not work for everyone, I can keep it the same, and just adjust my moving schedule if required...

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Scott, that will work fine for me. Hopefully we will be done celebrating your new house by then :jump:

Scott Brady

Founder
Updated: Dates Changed in first post.

Uwe, have you had a chance to buy a harness yet? Greg and Brooke have strong climbing experience and can make a few suggestions if that would help.

The one suggestion I can make is padded leg loops... Trust Me :Wow1:

whitethaiger

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Uwe, have you had a chance to buy a harness yet? Greg and Brooke have strong climbing experience and can make a few suggestions if that would help.
:Wow1:

Good point. I still need to get that, so if any of you have additional suggestions let me know.

Is there any other special gear we'll need? What about those dry bags for the swims?

Scott Brady

Founder
whitethaiger said:
Is there any other special gear we'll need? What about those dry bags for the swims?

It will really be up to the individual. I will have a dry bag for the rope gear and camera, but others will probably not need it. We will be coming back to base camp each afternoon.

Oh, and about base camp. I should be able to accomodate everyones sleeping requirements (except Baja, who will likely use his truck). I will have the Eezi-awn mounted, and will tow the Jumping Jack, so Mark, Brooke and Greg can camp out in there. I can bring a tent, and all other gear for Uwe, so his load on the plane will be minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles