Finally my own RTT

bluedog

Adventurer
Almost 8 weeks ago I saw Camping lab was having a special on RTT's. Fernando and I sent a few emails back and forth and a few days later, I had several boxes arriving at my shop. 1. Camping Lab RTT, 1 Front Runner roof rack, and a couple other little things for good measure.

This is our busy season in the bicycle business, combine that with other life things going on, I just got my tent mounted today. I love it. Before I had it mounted on the 80, I had it mounted on a small stand I made. Every so often I would open it up and admire it. I would even climb in and dream a little bit. On the 4th. of July, I took a short nap inside.

Fernando is a great guy to work with, quick problem solver, and excellent communicator.

FZJ80andRTT028.jpg

It's first voyage will be to the UP in August. Then I will transfer it to a small trailer for 2 more trips this year. Can't wait.

Last edited:

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
Looks great and very familiar! I got mine a few months ago and love it. Do you have any other side pictures of the rack and tent? Just wndering how much room you have left over in front.

Enjoy!

norshor

Observer
Looks great!! I have to agree with your comments on Fernando, he is great to deal with. See you in August! I will definitely be checking it out.

bluedog

Adventurer
Looks great and very familiar! I got mine a few months ago and love it. Do you have any other side pictures of the rack and tent? Just wndering how much room you have left over in front.

Enjoy!

The RTT up there is the 71X94 so I'm guessing I have 12 or so inches up front. My tent is slid back a bit too. I got 2 single Jerry can holders with the tent. I'm going to need to drill some new holes in it and mount it all the way to the front.

FZJ80andRTT027.jpg

I try and take a few more close ups tomorrow and get a measurement.

B.

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
Thanks, that is what I figured. I am running the same tent on about the same rig. Also starting plans to move it to the M416 by this Fall if all goes well!

JPFreek1

Explorer
Your RTT looks GREAT on your rig...congrats!

Fernando is a top-notch guy and Camping Lab products are a great value. :)

bluedog

Adventurer
So jealous Brendan. Get out and use it!

What is this trailer you speak of?:drool:

Andy

I bought a used 5X8 Cargo trailer. I put some cross bars on it. I'll use it when I take my Tundra a couple times this year. That way I can leave the trailer and not have to take everything down. I have plans for a matching set of wheels and tires too, but that comes later.

B

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
bluedog- Nice Cruiser. :drool:

Pardon my ignorance, but why are the roof top tents so popular versus a tent that is on the ground?
Great question. I use both my RTT (Maggiolina) and ground tent (currently using an REI 2-man) frequently and switch between the two, year 'round, depending on the trip. All things being equal, I prefer the RTT but I often wonder why people are so enamored with some of the RTT models. I've gotten to see/experience just about every one of the RTTs in the field. Some of them take longer to setup than any ground tent I've owned, aren't quiet, comfortable (IMHO) or weatherproof due to cheap materials/poor workmanship yet many Expo members say they're "great". On the other hand, a few of the RTTs setup in minutes, are nearly as quiet and comfy as our bed at home and stand up to years of use/abuse but aren't considered as good of a value by some due to a higher purchase price. Different strokes for different folks I guess... :)

Just an observation: I see a lot of pics of of the "newer" RTTs being setup in Expo member's driveways but not so many from out in the field, yet. I'm curious how these models (both the tent and tent-covers) will fare after a few years of travel and dozens of deploy/stow cycles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles