ARB MT35 fridge - should I buy?

spikemd

Explorer
I saw a used ARB MT35-AL fridge for sale asking $450. The owners had it on their sailboat and don't know how old it is. Looks to be in decent shape except that it is missing the dc adapter which I need for the truck. I am thinking I should try to get it for under $400. Should I pull the trigger?

I see most people run the dual battery with all the extra accessories. How long can I safely run this thing on my 'regular' single battery in my 2003 4Runner? Specs say it draws 2.7 amps. I can't imagine me leaving it running for more than a day on an excursion without driving.

Thanks for any input.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The MT35 has a 12 volt plug rather than an adapter, if it's the plug your missing it's easily replaced.

The 2.7 amp power draw is the maximum at compressor start up, it goes down to much less once it's running. The average consumption when it's run as a fridge is 1.2amps over a 24 hour period.

New the Engel is $649.00 so you are getting it for 40% off. I would want to know how old, as it has been used on a boat I'd check it very carefully for rust both on the case and all the working parts behind the grill. Rebuilding is not really an option.

The problem with the 35 is it's not tall enough to hold a 1 liter soda bottle or a 750ml bottle of wine, so anything tall has to laid at an angel in the fridge. The 45 is much more accommodating for things like this.

You can get 2 or 3 days running this fridge off a single battery with out starting the vehicle for recharging. I’d have a volt meter on the battery to check I could still crank the engine, or have a low voltage accessory shut off.

spikemd

Explorer
Thanks for the input. I sent an email asking if they would take $350 for it. I don't think I want to pay more and it has to be in good shape. It has the input for the plug, they are just missing the DC plug.

Good point about the 2-liter bottles. Looking at the specs, it may be a bit small for my liking.

Looking at the new ARB fridge, they say it can draw an intermittent 1.35 amps per hour to keep sub-freezing in 90 degree weather. wow...

Martyn

Thanks for the input. I sent an email asking if they would take $350 for it. I don't think I want to pay more and it has to be in good shape. It has the input for the plug, they are just missing the DC plug.

Good point about the 2-liter bottles. Looking at the specs, it may be a bit small for my liking.

Looking at the new ARB fridge, they say it can draw an intermittent 1.35 amps per hour to keep sub-freezing in 90 degree weather. wow...

The 35 may work for you with a Two Zone to increase the height.

I've not seen that power consumption claim about the new ARB fridge. I'm skeptical, as I haven't seen any independent reliable testing on the product, and ARB was reluctant to have us do our usual rigorous long term test on the product.

I am still waiting to be pleasantly surprised by this product.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I offered them $300 - guess what? They said no thanks.
s/n 0048 according to the ad. Does that make it an older model?

Seems like a killer deal.

spikemd

Explorer
I offered $350 and they said they were holding out for $400. They sent me some other pics and it looks like it is in good condition. But I think I would rather buy a new one if I am going to fork over 4 bills.

Besides, I saw this one bigger and brand new for $450. yeah, I know, is an off brand, yada yada...
Cheap fridge at Home Depot

but I think it is similar to the 'cheap $400 fridge' in the other thread on this forum.

Martyn

Besides, I saw this one bigger and brand new for $450. yeah, I know, is an off brand, yada yada...
Cheap fridge at Home Depot

but I think it is similar to the 'cheap $400 fridge' in the other thread on this forum.

In your original post you were worried about the power draw of an Engel on one battery. The Home Depot fridge is not going to be anywhere near as efficient and will run your battery down in no time. My advice would be to hold off until you have enough money to buy an expedition rated portable fridge.

450 DUDE

Adventurer
you will prolly be sad with the Homey-D fridge . I have the ARB 35 and could not be happier (3 in the family). When packing it you just have to be a little more careful.

ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior