Rack with canopy

storman113

Found this rack/canopy combo for Jeeps. Anyone ever find anything like this for SUV's? Explorer in my case.

CRA100-2.jpg

Regular rack that can slide out and act as side canopy.

Wild Boar Products

http://r49fy.xnhr4.servertrust.com/

storman113

Well I have to admit that the crenelations were not my first reason for liking this type of rack/canopy.

However you are right, they are kinda cute!

JKDetonator

Adventurer
Yes you would have to unload the rack to utilize it as a shelter. The rack doesn't slide out it actually flips over; it is hinged on one side. This is the rack I've been studying and thinking about purchasing for my JK.

storman113

Most of the camping I've done, I've dumped everything out anyhow.

The more I consider this, I think that a canopy on spring rollers that could be pulled out and have struts back to the side of the car or down straight would work out better. Am sure that anytime set up, would hang extra tarp's off end and sides for some wind damping. The whole unit could be fastened to any type of existing rack and moved between units as needed. Had something like that on a motor home several years ago. I've even seen some advertised on TV for the back patio. Have to be a lot smaller scale though.

The unit pictured is a bit over $1000 with the rack and canopy. There is one for Jeeps called a "Dave's" rack but it folds back over the back. Have heard bad things about it, quality of material, manufacture, rust, road noise. Its about the same price.

Where I live, having some cover from the sun is nice, cover from the rain even better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles