Solar Interior cooling

Desolation

Adventurer
Our rig is a pickup and I am enclosing the bed with a commercially available Fiberglass tonneau cover. It dawned on me the other day that under that black fiberglass lid is liable to get rather hot, living as we do on the High Desert.
I thought about that and because I am building a house and looking at solar powered attic vents... why not build something that would do the same job on the truck? I've looked around a little but not tripped over anything "pre-made" so before I start completely from scratch I decided to ask if there are such devices available, that would automatically run when necessary and not be tied into the Vehicle power allowing it to run while parked for long periods?

Thanks.

Superu

Explorer
Nicro solar

Available at West Marine or other boating supply shop.

This is the one I have installed on my Subie. (actual photo of installed unit)

600_SolarVent6.jpg

Works great at lowering interior temps. Has a NiMh C size rechargeable battery to keep running in low light conditions. Otherwise, it's fully solar powered.

Superu

Explorer
Duh! Marine supply! Thanks!

How does it hold up to cold, sub zero, and water infiltration?

It's lasted through several New England winters with no trouble at all. It has an internal green water shield that keeps water from getting in even when driving 80 mph in a hard rain!

It's not thermostatically controlled so you need to turn it on and off by pushing a weather sealed switch inside the unit. I know boat owners who use these cabin vents and never turn them off! If you went a long time without decent sun, you'd start to run the battery down, but a good day of sunlight would bring it right back up. They seem to be very well built and reliable.

One bit of advice, if you do need a replacement battery, just buy a standard NiMh C size from Target rather than pay the ridiculous price for an original replacement. :Wow1:

Desolation

Adventurer
It's lasted through several New England winters with no trouble at all. It has an internal green water shield that keeps water from getting in even when driving 80 mph in a hard rain!

It's not thermostatically controlled so you need to turn it on and off by pushing a weather sealed switch inside the unit. I know boat owners who use these cabin vents and never turn them off! If you went a long time without decent sun, you'd start to run the battery down, but a good day of sunlight would bring it right back up. They seem to be very well built and reliable.

One bit of advice, if you do need a replacement battery, just buy a standard NiMh C size from Target rather than pay the ridiculous price for an original replacement. :Wow1:

Suppose the switch could be relocated?
Getting to it could be a pain in this application.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Would just work w/ the temp of the day but how about green house ventilator openers.....opened by temp...no power needed....????? they do come in sizes related to the weight they have to open.:coffeedrink:

Desolation

Adventurer
Would just work w/ the temp of the day but how about green house ventilator openers.....opened by temp...no power needed....????? they do come in sizes related to the weight they have to open.:coffeedrink:

They might.
I'm thinking the fan is the winner though as it is active, now the question is where to get the make up air from.

Desolation

Adventurer
Maybe paint it white or silver to reflect the heat first and then add the fan?

Seriously though about that, however... And I know this is a bit lame.
I think it would look terrible! Functionally I agree 100%. I think I am building a rack/frame to sit above the t/cover for a RTT and when that is there it will work much the same in shading the bed area but this will also be a DD and thus my predicament.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
They might.
I'm thinking the fan is the winner though as it is active, now the question is where to get the make up air from.
switch the part being opened to trip a small computer fan..........? the greenhouse vent lifter works by a rubber/plastic strap that lengthens/shortens according to temp so a micro switch under the vent would do it and the low volt fan would work off of ???? maybe a motorcycle battery?:coffee:

bucketosudz

Explorer
Another Great Idea from the folks on the Portal...I would like to put one on my shell. I will have to give this some more consideration. Thanks for posting this query.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Another Great Idea from the folks on the Portal...I would like to put one on my shell. I will have to give this some more consideration. Thanks for posting this query.
OK another thought...how about a radio shack battery charger solar panel 3 X 6 that runs a computer fan....voila .... KISS. only runs w/ sun.:victory:

Desolation

Adventurer
OK another thought...how about a radio shack battery charger solar panel 3 X 6 that runs a computer fan....voila .... KISS. only runs w/ sun.:victory:

Now that is a cool idea and simple and I can easily build the various bits and there is a Radio Shack in this little town!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior