Hackney Fuso Update

haven

Expedition Leader
Doug, this is an amazing, horrifying tale. It reads like a story "French Connection" author Robin Moore would concoct. Hat's off to the "recovery experts" you hired to find the truck. I hope you'll be back on the road in due course.

Chip Haven

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Doug, this is an amazing, horrifying tale. It reads like a story "French Connection" author Robin Moore would concoct.

I can only publicly divulge a very small portion, maybe 5%, the tiniest tip of the iceberg.

We've said more than once that if we walked into a Hollywood studio's development VP with this story, they'd laugh us off the lot--simply too bizarre to be believable.

Hat's off to the "recovery experts" you hired to find the truck.

They did a great job. Their bit is part of the amazing, untold, untellable (at this point) story.

I hope you'll be back on the road in due course.

That's the next step. After all we've been through to recover the truck and get it out of Colombia and get it back to the U.S., I still have to repair it.

This is the "Will it ever end?" part of the story... :)

6Pins

Adventurer
:Wow1:

Reading your link, it looks like some degree of identity theft occurred. Is that going to cause you any problems down the road with flying or crossing borders?

Last edited:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Holy Crap guys!!! I have to say that often times people who travel in these areas come back saying "all the danger and the drugs and the crime is way over-rated and exaggerated by the media"....after reading your brief overview of the current situation all I can say is " Really glad I haven't ventured down there". I know your situation is unique, but honestly, how many places can you go in the world where this could EVER happen? Probably more than I'd like to count actually. I'm glad you guys are safe....

Spence

kerry

Expedition Leader
It sounds as if this a sophisticated well planned scam. Do you know if it has been pulled off before with other victims? Are there that many people shipping vehicles from Eucador to the US that would warrant the kind of planning this would require. Or, do you think you were specifically targeted in advance, perhaps tipped off by someone you met earlier in your travels, so that the groundwork could be laid to carry it out?
It doesn't seem to me that this kind of thing could be done quickly in response to a request for a freight quote on an internet site.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Holy Crap guys!!! I have to say that often times people who travel in these areas come back saying "all the danger and the drugs and the crime is way over-rated and exaggerated by the media"....after reading your brief overview of the current situation all I can say is " Really glad I haven't ventured down there". I know your situation is unique, but honestly, how many places can you go in the world where this could EVER happen? Probably more than I'd like to count actually. I'm glad you guys are safe....

Spence

Spence,

We've traveled on six continents through 43 countries and I can say, without reservation or hesitation, that "all the danger and the drugs and the crime is way over-rated and exaggerated by the media."

Note that nothing happened to us during any of our travels. Nothing happened to us via any local people. The perpetrator in this case is an American. It was American on American crime. It had nothing to do with the local countries or their citizens.

The world is a very warm and welcoming place. And it is, almost without exception, much safer than the U.S.

Doug

Last edited:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
It sounds as if this a sophisticated well planned scam. Do you know if it has been pulled off before with other victims? Are there that many people shipping vehicles from Eucador to the US that would warrant the kind of planning this would require. Or, do you think you were specifically targeted in advance, perhaps tipped off by someone you met earlier in your travels, so that the groundwork could be laid to carry it out?
It doesn't seem to me that this kind of thing could be done quickly in response to a request for a freight quote on an internet site.

Kerry,

I can't comment on these issues and questions in detail at this time.

All I can say is that the primary assumptions in your last sentence are incorrect.

Sorry,
Doug

dhackney

Expedition Leader
:Wow1:

Reading your link, it looks like some degree of identity theft occurred. Is that going to cause you any problems down the road with flying or crossing borders?

It hasn't yet.

I'm hoping that trend continues.

Limburger

Do it differently?

I'm sorry for your hardship.

I'm compelled to ask, since you've mentioned in threads regarding other "expedition vehicles" you've come across, commentary here and in the Truck Camper Magazine interview, would you advocate building a small scale vehicle or purchasing one that was turnkey and therefore "disposable" knowing the worst case scenario?

i.e. a Unicat or a Tacoma with equal amounts of beans and toilet paper?

The Toyota Tacoma being somewhat disposable.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
I'm compelled to ask, since you've mentioned in threads regarding other "expedition vehicles" you've come across, commentary here and in the Truck Camper Magazine interview, would you advocate building a small scale vehicle or purchasing one that was turnkey and therefore "disposable" knowing the worst case scenario?

i.e. a Unicat or a Tacoma with equal amounts of beans and toilet paper?

The Toyota Tacoma being somewhat disposable.

IMO, this can be an easy choice.

If the total and complete loss of your entire financial investment in your overland expedition vehicle will make no (zero, none, zilch, zippo) impact on your lifestyle, your retirement savings, your income or otherwise be nothing but a speed bump on your road of net worth, then spend as much as you like on whatever you want.

If the total and complete loss of your vehicle does not meet that financial criteria, then you have two choices:
1. Mitigate the loss
2. Lower the risk

Option one requires, or at least implies, insurance.

Insurance on boats of any value just about anywhere (with the area around Somalia being a notable exception) is easy to come by and very affordable.

Insurance on land vehicles outside your home country is very challenging to underwrite and typically pretty expensive. While obtaining global liability insurance is very possible (we used AIG), comprehensive coverage that includes theft, fire, meteorites, etc., is very difficult. When you do find it, it is usually capped at a relatively low value, e.g., $50k USD, and expensive, e.g. $5k annually for that coverage amount.

Option two requires, or at least implies, a lower overall financial investment.

If you are interested in South America, I suggest you fly into Argentina, rent an apartment that includes a maid/cook, find a local driver/interpreter, and start shopping for used RVs. Most are built on the Mercedes Benz "round nose" truck chassis. Parts and service are available everywhere and you can buy a very nice used RV for $10k USD. Drive it all over the continent, bring it back to Argentina and then sell it.

South America is somewhat similar to North America and Africa in that you can use a pretty large vehicle and then rent local burros or HiLuxes for things that are not located on market town roads or chicken bus roads.

If you are headed elsewhere on the planet, I think the same "fly 'n buy" scenario still works pretty well. When you buy a local market vehicle you can limit or eliminate a lot of problems, such as:
1. Fuel compatibility (you can't use current model year U.S. or European vehicles in the 3rd world)
2. Parts and service (a U.S. or Europe model vehicle will ALWAYS have parts specific to those markets). Local mechanics are experienced in working on local market vehicles. Local parts stores sell parts for local market vehicles.
3. Dimensions. Many (if not most) North Americans and Europeans don't consider local vehicle dimensions when they ship into a continent or region. The most common example is track width. Market town roads and chicken bus roads (bridges, etc.) are built for a medium duty truck track width. Smaller roads are built for Hilux dimensions. We know multiple Europeans who broke through bridges on roads built for medium duty trucks with wide-track Mercedes chassis.
4. Insurance. While using a local market vehicle does not guarantee insure-ability on you, a foreigner, it will at least be a vehicle that appears on their lists of insurable vehicles. If you show up with a make and or model that is not sold in their country, you can't be too upset when they refuse to insure it because it is not on their drop down list of vehicles their system supports.

To be specific, it makes almost zero sense to ship a North American Tacoma elsewhere in the world. The Toyota Hilux diesel is the world's most ubiquitous modern vehicle. It makes eminent sense to use it as a platform and almost no sense to use a North American gas Tacoma, filled with NA market specific parts, electronics, etc.

Build a camper box and other bolt-on items to fit a Tacoma/Hilux of the same series/generation available in your destination. Assume nothing in the way of compatibility/alignment/dimensions/etc. Put your payload into a shipping container and send it to your destination. Buy or lease a local market Hilux and put your payload on it.

And remember, most importantly, it's not about the truck, it's about the experiences.

Doug

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier