National Luna Portable Power Pack

nctacoma

Observer
what are the prices on these units? Do you just run the cable from your stock battery to this power pack and that is it? Or is the wiring more complicated than that?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Check equipt1.com for current pricing.

The wiring is as simple as you described -- well almost. There is a fuse between the positive terminal and the PPP (included with the kit), but otherwise, yea, just run the cable (also included) from the battery to the PPP, and you are done.

Buy an extra Anderson Plug, a fuse, and some extra cable, and you can move it between multiple vehicles. It's a great, hassle free, way to get a second battery.

nctacoma

Observer
So is the difference between the ppp and the national luna DIY kit just the battery box, more cabling, and then the 12v outlets and fuse block?

Trying to decide which one to go for? It looks like a $150 price difference.

Superu

Explorer
So is the difference between the ppp and the national luna DIY kit just the battery box, more cabling, and then the 12v outlets and fuse block?

Trying to decide which one to go for? It looks like a $150 price difference.

The big difference for me is portability. With the PPP you can use it in multiple vehicles as well as bringing it inside a tent, cabin or home to provide temporary power untethered from your vehicle.

nctacoma

Observer

TacoDoc,

I see that you have battery cables coming from your auxiliary battery inside the national luna and hooking to a fuse box.
Doesn't the PPP have some sort of low battery shut-off alarm that cuts power to prevent totally draining the battery? If so, does your hookup directly to the battery bypass this system? If so, could it be prevented by using the output anderson style connector on the portable power pack?

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Yes I am bringing up this old thread

nctacoma, no there is no low voltage cut out however going thru the gray anderson power pole connector makes it switched by the breaker.

Anyone know which power pole fits? I am trying to find one and wow there are a lot of different anderson connectors.

kb7our

Explorer
Yes I am bringing up this old thread

nctacoma, no there is no low voltage cut out however going thru the gray anderson power pole connector makes it switched by the breaker.

Anyone know which power pole fits? I am trying to find one and wow there are a lot of different anderson connectors.

The 50A one fits. I just got a grey one with terminals but I think there are other colors available. SB50 is the model # with additional numbers like 08-GRY being 8G wire size and grey color. I like to solder vs. crimp the connectors. To free up the 12V socket on the box for other things like a USB adapter or other 12V accessory, I wired my fridge plug with a Hella so now that cig style socket on the box can be used for other things. I'm using the 50A socket for a HF/VHF radio - it's fused with the main switch 60A but I am adding two 20A fuses, one each for both + and - to the radio end which is what the radio cable came with for 100W. I also have the remote display controller for the box which is a nice addition to keep an eye on what is going on. Quite a sweet setup once you free up the 12V socket.

Wade

Last edited:

zscott

Adventurer
Anybody hook up solar to a national luna powerpack? I am thinking of adding a panel to my roof rack and have it trickle charge the battery when we are stationary for more than a day or two.

Superu

Explorer
Anybody hook up solar to a national luna powerpack? I am thinking of adding a panel to my roof rack and have it trickle charge the battery when we are stationary for more than a day or two.
I have used a solar panel from West Marine to trickle charge mine while camping and it worked quite well. I check the exact model and wattage if you need more info.

zscott

Adventurer
That would be great. I want something with enough watts to get by but really don't want to drop the money on a huge setup or carry around a bunch of panels either. Something that is just enough to do what I need it to and thats it.

Superu

Explorer
That would be great. I want something with enough watts to get by but really don't want to drop the money on a huge setup or carry around a bunch of panels either. Something that is just enough to do what I need it to and thats it.

SUNSEI SE-1200 18 W solar panel. Have had it for several years without a problem.

zscott

Adventurer
SUNSEI SE-1200 18 W solar panel. Have had it for several years without a problem.

Looks good. I am surprised that 18 watts was sufficient. I am new to solar but from what I have read most people have got more like 60 to help the battery maintain charge with light use like a ARB fridge or what not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles