National Luna Portable Power Pack

Superu

Explorer
First of all, a big thanks to Paul at Equipt1 for excellent communication and expedited shipping! :wings: And thanks to Spike for the recommendation on the PPP!

(pics to follow)

Second, unit appears to be very well built and exactly as described. I installed my spare Optima Yellow Top in it and set it out on the sun porch with my Sunsei solar panel to give it a quick trial run and system check.

Worked a charm. Solar panel with limited sun still managed to increase the charge status measurably.

Next step was to get the wiring installed in the Sub. Original plan was to follow the frame rails from the engine compartment and find an ingress point in the back. As luck would have it, I was able to use pre-existing cable runs under the door sill and through the firewall and then access the cable at the rear through the removable bin that houses the factory jack.

The nice thing about this location is that the cable can be coiled and stowed when not in use.

The only challenge was the factory bolts that connect to the side mount battery terminals were a bit short. I managed to get the positive connection in ok, but the ground is not as complete as I would like so I need to search out either a longer bolt or an alternate terminal connector.

Initial run showed the input power monitor working as designed and the battery easily taking a charge. Will do some testing under load this week and update with any relevant details.

Very pleased so far. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Bighead

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing the pics. I have been thinking of using this pack for a dual batt in my 4Runner.

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Superu:; Try your local NAPA store for Side Mount Terminal Adapter by Belden part # 728221 they work great. About $ 5.00 to $ 6.50 depending were you live :smiley_drive:

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
What is the exact battery you are supposed to run with this setup? Also-where is the best place to get one?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
What is the exact battery you are supposed to run with this setup? Also-where is the best place to get one?

There is no specific battery to run the Power Pack, we use group 31's and they seem to take up all the available room.

Ont the National Luna Power Packs you can get them through Adventure Trailers or Equipt1, the price is the same.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
I only installed mine a week ago and am loving it! This is by no means a long term testimonial. It did however let me know that my cranking battery was going bad since it monitors the auxilary as well as the main battery. I've been running mine 24 hours a day with my National Luna 50L split fridge hooked up to it and the gauge very rarely leaves 100%. This is with the Sears Platnium Marine Group 31 in the PPP. This compared to my previous setup using a Yellow Top is a huge improvement!!!

Superu

Explorer
I only installed mine a week ago and am loving it! This is by no means a long term testimonial. It did however let me know that my cranking battery was going bad since it monitors the auxilary as well as the main battery. I've been running mine 24 hours a day with my National Luna 50L split fridge hooked up to it and the gauge very rarely leaves 100%. This is with the Sears Platinum Marine Group 31 in the PPP. This compared to my previous setup using a Yellow Top is a huge improvement!!!

I have the same battery in mine and have had my PPP for over a year now. It's been convenient and reliable. I have no regrets about this purchase. Money well spent IMO. :ylsmoke:

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I am thinking of purchasing this system and was wondering if anyone has installed it in the bed of there truck instead of the cab?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
anchorshot said:
I am thinking of purchasing this system and was wondering if anyone has installed it in the bed of there truck instead of the cab?

I would be concerned about it getting wet in the back of a truck, but that is based entirely on my gut feeling after taking a long hard look at it. Paul @ Equipt might be able to offer a more qualified opinion about that than I can.

I ended up putting a camper shell on my truck (instead of an open bed with a roof top tent) so that solved the problem.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I have a camper top as well. I don't have any electronics in the cab, everything is in the camper shell. It would be easier to hook everything up if I was able to put it in the camper.

I have also been thinking of just doing a basic dual setup under the hood, but I'm not sure if I can make room.

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
I have a NLPPP and dual batt controller which I ran strapped down in the bed of my Tacoma for 5 years without ever having one problem with it. Bought it in South Africa before they were available here. Of course I sold my Tacoma a year ago so it's been sitting in the garage ever since as my replacement vehicle, a Power Wagon and FWC camper, has a built-in battery isolater already. Anyway, I think they're a great unit, fwiw.
BX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles