Used ARB 45L pricing?

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I'd like your input on a fair price for a used ARB 45L that i plan to purchase from a friend.

I picked it up, he was unable to find the power cords. By the time he got them i had already left for an event.. so it sits and i dont know if it works properly. But i'm assuming it will.

The unit has some dents, lots of scrapes and scratches and slight rust around the latch on lid. Bottom had whitish corrosion from use/exposure in the Bonneville Salt Flats. When i picked it up it was sealed, opened it and there was moisture and a very bad aroma. I cleaned it up with a bleach/water solution and it still has a bit lingering. Another cleaning will hopefully eliminate that.

He's a good guy and allowed me use of his M416 for the recent event as well. I dont want to lowball him but i dont want to overpay considering it's condition.

What would be a fair price for all involved?

Is there anything i should be concerned about mechanically with the Salt exposure? Can i open up this unit easily to inspect?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Depending on how bad the rust is and if you think internal components are corroded or not I'd offer 150 and if he frowns go 200 if you think the corrosion has not got inside to much.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Which 45l is it? The older unit didn't have a digital thermometer, the newer unit did. Not that it makes a huge difference but it helps gives you a ballpark of its value and age. The thermo installed units could only be say ~3 years old while the other could be ~10 years old.

I'd honestly be willing to pony up more than Stumpalump's values... afterall despite some cosmetic issues and a bit of smell, its still functionally the same as a $800 new unit. That not to say that there isn't some un-noticed wear and tear within the unit, of course there is, but it could easily have another 10 years of trouble free life. Even in its condition I would say $250-350, $25-30 less if you have to buy the new cords.

As for testing it... look behind any desktop computer, monitor, some printers, etc ;) The 120V power cords are the same as the extremely common cords used for all sorts of computer related equipment, run to RadioShack or a thrift store and you can have that thing running in just a few minutes for under $10. Better yet grab the cord off of a spare desktop tower and test it out.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
No thermostat, just the dial. Is it possible to ID it's age from a serial# if i politely email ARB?

I agree, i think a 150-200 offer is low. I was thinking more along your guideline...perhaps a tad more. He is a friend, i'd like to keep it that way.

I'll check around for a cord, i know i dont have one here since we went all laptops.

Thanks for the input Kurt.

cruiseroutfit

No thermostat, just the dial. Is it possible to ID it's age from a serial# if i politely email ARB?

I agree, i think a 150-200 offer is low. I was thinking more along your guideline...perhaps a tad more. He is a friend, i'd like to keep it that way.

I'll check around for a cord, i know i dont have one here since we went all laptops.

Thanks for the input Kurt.

ARB might have the serial numbers tracked light that, if not I'm sure Engel/Sawafuji does, would definitely be worth a try.

Swing by a thrift store or for that matter any computer store too. Shouldn't cost you more than a few bucks for a used cord. I beleive the plug is called ST3 if your looking around. Oh yeah, some laptops use the same cord, however in those cases it will plug into the laptop's AC/DC converter. Good luck!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Well looked after these fridges have a 20 year life span. So maybe you could depreciate the fridge given it's age and expected lifespan.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Exactly Martyn...

Called a bud in the computer biz... he's got a box full of old power cords. :sombrero:

cruiseroutfit

...Called a bud in the computer biz... he's got a box full of old power cords. :sombrero:

Score!

Plug it in and give it a test. Keep an ear out for vibration and noise from the motor, could be a sign of work/broken motor mounts. They can be replaced pretty easily I believe.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Plugged her in and she's quiet as a church mouse. Set the dial to 3 and will check temp after an hour or so. Then progress till i see freezing temps.

Thanks again..

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Steady at 20* on power setting 3 with the unit empty. Seems to be working just fine.

I'll stop by my buds shop shortly with cash in hand and see what we work out. Thanks all..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz