Toyo OC ATs vs. Bridgestone Revos

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I am preparing to 'retire' my F350 with either of the two tires above - in 285/75/R16. I would probably go larger, but this would require aa leveling kit on the truck, and it is tall enough already. And, yes, I read the tire FAQ about the Toyo MTs...

Love the 285/75/R16 (LRD) Revos on my LC, but am also hearing good things about the OC AT tires.

If you have experience, how are the Toyos for ride, mileage, highway vs. crappy ranch roads? I will not be using these in true off-raod situations.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
My opinion of the Toyo AT...good tire, crappy wear.

I had them on my F350 and I am anal about air pressure and rotations/balancing. They lasted for only 24k miles. I replaced them at 5/32nds, which is bald for me. They were supposed to be 50k mileage tires and Les Schwab wanted to "pro-rate" them out, which with the increase in the price of the tires, the "deal" was going to cost me more than the tires did originally.

You can PM Spressomon also, he just replaced the ones he had on his Hundy for the same reasons. I tried to tell him.:sombrero:

I loved the way they drove and handled, they were great in the snow and mud (nothing deep, just northern Nevada Black Rock Desert road mud) that I had it in, just wore way too fast for me.

Jack

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Jack, that is the kind of data I needed. My Revos are at about 25K miles and show little wear. And my modded 80 is not a lightweight truck.

I am now thinking that Revos in LR - E are the way to go.

ExpoMike

Not that my rig is heavy but I LOVE my REVO's and will put another set on whenever I wear these out.

Haven't used any Toyo A/T style tires but regarding high performance ones, they tend to be a little soft and wear quicker then other brands. YMMV

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The Revo ATs on my Sprinter camper are working fine and after 25K miles still look near new, surprising since my truck is close to max GVWR. Looks like they'll get 50K easy, probably more, though I'll likely get bored first.

Everything else about them seems as it should be, which is actually good praise. No shortcomings in their handling, braking, noise, etc. Not enough snow/mud/sand/rock use to comment on bad-conditions performance.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
As locrwln mentioned above regarding the Toyo Open Country ATs: Great tire; terrible wear/life.

I run 285R75 18 so that I can have a 285 width on a 35" diameter tire. Unfortunately most Americans prefer big fat wide tires. And, until recently, 285R75 18 (or any 10.5-11.2" width on 35" tall) was only available in two tires and Toyo made both of them. The MT was too wide for my preferences so I elected to try the AT's inspite of two solid warnings from buds.

The tires perform very, very well in a wide variety of conditions. They are excellent in/on snow, ice, rock, any type of pavement of course, gravel, dirt, wet, etc. But #1 you'll only get 20K if you're lucky and can stand wearing a tire to 1/8" (not me) and they aren't cheap.

So my advice, after running two sets of Toyo Open Country ATs, would be to look elsewhere primarily if budget is a main consideration.

FYI: I recently installed a set of new Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tires in my preferred size of 285R75 18" and so far they are quite amazing! About 1/2 the noise of the original MT/R on the highway and significantly better performance in my 3-weeks of testing. Now I'll just have to see if they wear as well as the older MT/R's. If so I think we have a new winner of an MT type tire.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Thanks all.

Dan - did you have any issues keeping the MTRs balanced and true? The set I ran on my 60 were a PITA to keep in trim, and wore quickly.

I am resolved on another set of Revos.

M

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Thanks all.

Dan - did you have any issues keeping the MTRs balanced and true? The set I ran on my 60 were a PITA to keep in trim, and wore quickly.

I am resolved on another set of Revos.

M

Yes the original MT/R's were (2-sets of different sizes) a total PITA to keep balanced. For the life of me I can't figure out why that would be...but that is the consistent complaint on the MT/R's.

These are the latest generation MT/R Kevlar (note the "Kevlar" denotation). They have gotten very good reviews from the few folks that are using them. I hope GY invested in some better molds, tire mfg technology! But only time will tell for me: So far so good.

Revos are good from what I have heard. Have you looked at the Nitto Terra Grappler? That is a very good tire also.

We need to go fishing! I spent a few days with Walt and his Magg'd JK last weekend: http://forum.ih8mud.com/nv-battle-b...evada/292806-bbcnn-club-run-coyote-flats.html

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
DAN -- Looks like you had a great trip - lots of beautiful pictures.

I got out for a trip to a friend in Hailey, ID. Part 'work' and part play. Need to go fishing but running out of Summer.

M

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Never had Toyo's, but the Nitto Terragrapplers (exact same tread pattern, IIRC) weren't the greatest. Especially in snow. I totally lost confidence in that tire. Went with REVO's and they were great. Solid traction on road, rain, light snow, etc. Very quiet. If I were looking for more of an on-road AT, I'd stick with REVO's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz