$20 Delorme GPS for use with laptops

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I notice that Geeks.com has the DeLorme Earthmate GPS LT-20 (2008 version for Windows) for $19.99. Costs another $8 for shipping. The GPS receiver cable goes in a USB port.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LT-20&AID=10440852&CJPID=552179

I doubt anyone would make the case that this is the most elegant software around, and I know from my own experience that laptop screens often wash out to the point of unreadable in a vehicle, and working the Windows interface is pretty dangerous while driving, and etc. . . . but getting up and running with a GPS for $28 bucks might be appealing for some.

toyrunner95

Explorer
I use this one alot. You are'nt supposed to operate a computer while driving. But tell that to jhonney law, who is playing solitare at stoplights.

As for washing out. This depends on the mount. I have found that the more mobile and positionable the mount is the easier it is to prevent this. I also like this unit because i have itunes on my comp. Between that and a tape deck adapter I have oer 8000 song choices.

brained

Adventurer
I notice that Geeks.com has the DeLorme Earthmate GPS LT-20 (2008 version for Windows) for $19.99. Costs another $8 for shipping. The GPS receiver cable goes in a USB port.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LT-20&AID=10440852&CJPID=552179

I doubt anyone would make the case that this is the most elegant software around, and I know from my own experience that laptop screens often wash out to the point of unreadable in a vehicle, and working the Windows interface is pretty dangerous while driving, and etc. . . . but getting up and running with a GPS for $28 bucks might be appealing for some.

Ordered. We'll see how well it works with Global Mapper.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
You can also purchase a laptop sunlight visible computer screens. I love my EO Tuftab for exactly that reason. It's like looking at paper.

What chipset is in that GPS? A Globsat BU-353 is $36 and has the SIRF III chipset in it. The SIRF III chipset is arguably the best consumer grade GPS chipset available.

Craig

off-roader

Expedition Leader
You can also purchase a laptop sunlight visible computer screens. I love my EO Tuftab for exactly that reason. It's like looking at paper.

What chipset is in that GPS? A Globsat BU-353 is $36 and has the SIRF III chipset in it. The SIRF III chipset is arguably the best consumer grade GPS chipset available.

Craig

Doesn't look like it's a SIRF III chipset.

Excerpt from their Computergeeks webpage noted above...

Specifications:

• ST Micro SiGE chipsets
  • WAAS-enabled
  • Low-power baseband and RF chip
  • Warm start: < 38 seconds
  • Hot start: < 3 seconds
  • Full power: 165 mW
  • Sleep mode: < 5 mW
  • Maximum velocity: 1000 knots
  • weak signal tracking: < 145 dBm

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i found on craigslist an LT20 puck with street atlas 05, 06 and microsoft streets for $25, i had to try it, i was happy enough with it that i got the topo series for it,,, i am very happy the way it works for me. i know there are better systems, but for exploring, seeing where your at, and seeing where a questionable rd may go before you end up on a 3 mile reverse only return, its been a good investment.

as for screens, my laptop is not daylight viewable but i can always see it just fine if kept out of the direct glare, since i dont need to actually use the laptop often while on GPS, i plan to get a smaller remote screen to plug in, keeping the laptop away from harm and dust, and viewing the action on a screen attached to the visor maybe.

brained

Adventurer
Ordered. We'll see how well it works with Global Mapper.

The direct output from this is proprietary DeLorme. I downloaded a Serial Emulator from the DeLorme site and now it creates a virtual com port with standard NMEA output. Anything that'll work with that should be fine. Global Mapper and Google Earth are both happy with it.

fishbum

Observer
The SIRF III chipset is arguably the best consumer grade GPS chipset available.

Not necessarily true anymore, the ST Teseo chipset, u-Blox5 chipset are examples of better GPS chipsets. This is based on datasheet reviews for all three and road testing all three...

Mamontof

Explorer

sdc10124q.jpg
http://img707.imageshack.us/i/sdc10124q.jpg/

DeLorma work as Mag Magic , only trouble when you drive on forest road as in map show off *** trail or some unimproved road .
Again state to state different in Colorado and Arizona show even trail , Utah some pretty well unimproved road ...no signal

Defiantly recommended that program for all why like off road adventure

sdc10136.jpg
http://img130.imageshack.us/i/sdc10136.jpg/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94