Four days on the trail; menu

rusty_tlc

Explorer
It's a tough trail so no leisurely lunch breaks and no elaborate breakfast.
Dinner will be shared with one vehicle cooking each night. I'm in my FJ40 and have no fridge/freezer, just ice chest and very little room. I can keep ice for three days this time of year but I have a day of transit. So mid way through I'll be out of ice. The third day I'll be able to keep stuff that needs to be cool but not cold, cheese etc. The last day will be only stuff that requires no cooling.

This is what I have for my personal provisions so far;

Breakfasts
Coffee
Box milk
Cereal (Uncle Sam)
Ramen
Fruit
Scones
Instant Oatmeal

Lunchs
PBJ's
Kipper snacks
V8
powdered ice tea
More fruit
Crackers
Cheese

Snacks
Mini Pay Day bars
Pretzels
Beer Nuts
Yet More Fruit, cheese and crackers
Salami

I think I'll throw in a few MRE's just in case.

I'll also need some kind of Adult Beverage to drink around the campfire.

Any suggestions?

M

modelbuilder

When I am on the trail Breakfast is both the most and least important meal for me. I need something in my stomach but nothing too heavy...and I don't want to clean pots and pans after a night of my buddy Alex bringing me drink after drink. Speaking of that I think he took my flashlight last time. The last thing I want to do is clean more pots and pans, take out the stove, etc.

Anyway, If it were me I would ditch the milk and cereal and stick to breakfast bars and some mild fruit juice (watered down V8 Splash).

Hmmm adult beverage...boxed red wine keeps me happy. It keeps well during travel too. No glass to break.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
When I am on the trail Breakfast is both the most and least important meal for me. I need something in my stomach but nothing too heavy...and I don't want to clean pots and pans after a night of my buddy Alex bringing me drink after drink. Speaking of that I think he took my flashlight last time. The last thing I want to do is clean more pots and pans, take out the stove, etc.

Anyway, If it were me I would ditch the milk and cereal and stick to breakfast bars and some mild fruit juice (watered down V8 Splash).

Hmmm adult beverage...boxed red wine keeps me happy. It keeps well during travel too. No glass to break.

I found some boxed milk that doesn't need refrigeration, since I like milk in my coffee I'll want it along anyway.

Box wine was right up there on my possibles list. I'm a beer guy but warm beer is not an option for me.

M

modelbuilder

Boxed wine is great...and comes in a lot of different flavors.

Although I'm not sure what it says about you if you drink it at home...

:Wow1:

Desert Dan

Explorer
I eat the fresh stuff the first day or two and then rely on non-perishables like canned goods powdered eggs, chile, freezdried foods.

What about dinners?

I often freeze my steaks, bacon, butter etc to act as ice in the cooler so they last longer.

Darton

Adventurer
powderd eggs? How do those workout? I've never had em... That I know of. I took a steak backpacking one time. just put it frozen in a ziplock and wrapped it in a hand towel for insulation. packed in that night and had steak and eggs for breakfast the first morning. Freezing things to use them as icepacks and eat them later in the trip is a good Idea. Heck a whole chicken would take three days to thaw in a cooler.

Desert Dan

Explorer
You can get powdered eggs ( mix with water and cook) and or freeze-dried (just add boiling water) eggs at most camping/outdoors store.

There are all kinds of foods and meals for backpacking.

Survival stores sell dried foods in larger quantities.

pint

Adventurer
We usually do the more yummy hard to keep stuff early in the trip...steaks, burgers, fajitas, brats, fresh veggies, etc. Then keep it simple and non perishable later on...dry pasta and sauce in a jar keep well, anything in a can...spam, ravioli, soup, chili, beef stew. As far as adult beverages, wine in a box is fine. I drink bourbon, tequila, whiskey, etc, so keeping it cool isn't an issue! We did beer over July 4th in the Rockies. We ran out of ice the last day and just tossed the beerz in the nice icy stream 100 feet from camp! Worked perfect! :beer:

CJCA

Adventurer
No matter the destination, the company or number of days, I always pack a few cans of SPAM, raviolis, chili & hot sauce of choice. All can be eaten cold out of the can in an emergency and when heated up with a dash of Tabasco are down right tasty when you are hungry. All that and cheap to purchase to boot.

kai38

Explorer
Bagels & cold cuts & coffee for breakfast
Bagels & cold cuts for lunch.
35aa7f6023262d533638672d7ebca598.jpg

Something quick n easy for dinner
Precut chicken & the store has some Macaroni Grill boxed meals that are easy and very good.
inline2_chickenpenne.jpg

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Ummmm jerky.

I also forgot sunflower seeds for snacking.

Dinners won't be a problem. I think most of the guys on this trip will have Fridge freezers and they have a reputation for putting on a great spread.

I like spam, half a can fried for breakfast and the rest as a sammich for lunch works out well.

4 play

Observer
I'm a truck drive and cook every day in the truck. One of my all time favorites is a jar of the ragu alfrado sauce and a small bowtie noodle.with a slice of grain bread. One jar should get three 8 quart sauce pans worth of meals. Save a few peaces of bacon to crumble on for more flavor. :wings: Use the small bowtie noodle so the cook time is not to long. Start to finish 15min and be eating.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
You can get powdered eggs ( mix with water and cook) and or freeze-dried (just add boiling water) eggs at most camping/outdoors store.

Nah, forget powdered eggs. Get EggBeaters!
southwestern.jpg

Come in various flavours, and are super easy to make and store. I just put the container in a ziplock bag and toss it in the cooler. I also precook some bacon to bring along, and if you toast a bagel on the cook stove, you can make a great egg/bacon/bagel sandwich that is quite filling, yet quick to make and even quicker to clean up.

Another nice find is kouskous. Super easy to make. Boil water, pour it in. Faster and MUCH easier to clean up than rice, and seems to be healthier than the starchy rice. Goes great with fish. We like to get the pre-seasoned frozen fish from Trader Joe's. Being frozen, it lasts fairly long in the icebox, and cooks quickly.

These recipes courtesy of my wife, who is a fabulous trail cook!

79860994_CfkxE-XL.jpg

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Or last trip out I took no eggs but instead a couple of the bottles of "just add water to the line" pancake batter and an aluminum griddle. We were eating pancakes before the coffee pot percolated. The griddle is a super simple wipe it off clean up and any leftover batter stays in the bottle with a screw on cap for the next morning- refrigeration optional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior