Want to buy a new rifle

762X39

Explorer
Just looking for some input although my mind is mostly made up.I have been hunting all my adult life with a 1942 6.5X55 Swede. I love it to death but my eyesight isn't what it used to be so I am looking for a rifle I can scope. The short list is a Tikka with synthetic stock in 6.5X55. I have already chosen a suitable scope (1.75 to 4) that will meet my needs out to 500 metres.If there are any Tikka owners out there please let me know what you think.

roamingaz

Explorer
I had a Tikka T3 tactical rifle, it was absolutly the finest shooting gun I have ever owned. I used it for predator hunting and some target shooting, Tikka is known for it's silky smooth action and solid performance. I sold my rifle last year to help fund my truck project and now hunting season is coming up I am really missing it. I had a Weaver long range sniper scope for long distance shooting.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I don't know what you're hunting but I had a 4x scope on my old Winchester M70 and hated it. I finally wised up and spent a couple hundred bucks on a nice Nikon 3 - 9 variable. I normally use it at about 6x for antelope hunting in Wyoming.

F5driver

Adventurer
I have a Tikka stainless 300 WSM. It's a great rifle. Light, fairly weatherproof and accurate out of the box.

norshor

Observer
One of the guys at deercamp has a Tikka T3 synthetic in 30.06. Great rifle, he really likes it. That thing is very accurate, and has been dependable.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
You say your eyesight is going, and now you want a 4X scope to use out to 500 meters?

Man, you must have had some eyesight to start with!

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Why not just alter the bolt handle on the Swede and have it scoped. This will cost a fraction of the proce of a new rifle and quality scope.

The 6.5 X 55 is a great cartridge... better than the 7.62 X 39 IMO.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
6.5 will have a better BC for same weight, not sure about muzzle energy/velocity comparisons.

7.62 x 39 in a .308 bore makes a great light short range rifle (think .30-30 with a better BC due to pointed bullets), but if not a perfect shot might be pushed pretty hard to make a clean kill at 500.

762X39

Explorer
You say your eyesight is going, and now you want a 4X scope to use out to 500 meters?

Man, you must have had some eyesight to start with!

On the military range where I used to practice I could nail the #11 target at 500 metres with open sights and hit the moving targets at 400 metres.When I borrowed the 308 target rifles for the 800 metre range I would always dial down the scope to its minimum (usually about 6 power) and still be able to hit a ten inch circle which was good enough for me.I don't like the problems high magnification causes (small movements equal large,limited field of view and exaggerated heat mirage).
My typical range for a deer where I hunt is about 80 metres with the tree line varying between 156 metres to 203 metres and I have taken deer at both those ranges.So for me, 4 power is plenty.:coffee:

Wow that is just weird, 6.5 is plenty for moose up here (and all Scandinavian countries as well.).:coffee:

+1. i know many guys who hunt with nothing but .222 and .223's for deer and are succuseful every year. shot placement, not caliber. 6.5x55 is more than enough for deer.

jake

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
In Gary's part of the U.S I believe that anything other than a buckshot or slugs are illegal to use for fear of hitting something further down range. This is typical for a large portion of the highly populous Eastern U.S. In that circumstance it would be easy to come to think that anything less is not enough power since those are the minimum legal requirement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles