Put the TP in the freezer: The Hot Sauce Thread

93BLAZER

Explorer
This is the best kind of hot sauce. Un-named and freshly made.

2.1204397040.imgp1137.jpg

Spur

Adventurer

This is my current fav as well. For me, I like a hot sauce that isn't too hot. That way, I can pour it on and really get the flavor without blowing myself up. Valentina has a nice smokey back end that makes me think they put some chipotles in there.

If I want to turn up the heat, I often reach for some Sambal.

sambal_2.jpg

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I have a bottle of Daves Insanity Private Reserve that will absolutely kill anybody. We have a hot sauce collection in my office and when someone goes on vacation and brings something new in , we have a tasting party. This bottle of Daves makes you physically ill. My all around favorite is Franks extra hot.

spikemd

Explorer
Yes I know, they'll also kill you, but if used in moderation, they are great. The original Insanity is great on sandwiches, just a tiny bit on the tip of a knife and mixed with the mayo- just to a light salmon color. Good heat and flavor, a little much and WOW, you'll know it. It's also good on a steak, same technique- butter the side of a steak with a tiny bit, slap it on the grill and the heat mellows the fire and drives the flavor into the meat. Do it on both sides after you've tried it.

Dave's makes a killer garlic sauce and the Temporary Insanity is great as well. I haven't tried the newer ones out yet.

My first experience with Dave's was at Coyote Joe's in Prescott. Had some hot wings, wanted hotter. Three of us bite into these new wings, the lights dim, the ears started ringing and our mouths started watering. And we didn't even taste the heat yet! We all looked at each other to see if we were the only ones having an out of body experience, and we all looked the same. After we found out we were going to live, we ate all but 1 of the 13 wings. Took a couple of beers, but that's when I discovered that Dave's is one of the only uber-hot sauces to have some flavor.

Yes, Dave's Insanity Sauce is INSANE. I love hot food, but this one will scorch you. Used in tiny amounts, it does add great flavor. Not sure how they can concentrate so much, because it will make your eyes water and ears hurt. Taking too much the first time is seriously like the cartoons with steam coming out your ears! I also like my staple Cholulu. And then my old fav Tapatio. My wife likes Tabasco, but too much vinegar for me. The Chipotle Tabasco is pretty good with some smokeyness. I also add red pepper powder to pretty much everything when I cook. It gives food a nice kick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles