grill/stove combos

dustboy

Explorer
Right now I carry a 2 burner Coleman propane stove and a propane grill which adds up to a lot of gear, and I rarely use the second burner on the stove for anything I couldn't grill. I think the ideal setup for me would be a combination grill/stove something like this little pup-dog:

9922-750_500.jpg

My only problem is that I'm trying to get away from propane. The canisters are expensive, they don't work in the cold, and they are bulky. I have a lantern that runs on white gas and I don't mind priming it to get it started.

Does anybody make a combination grill/stove that runs white gas?

bmonday

Adventurer
I have that very stove, and love it. Used is this past weekend. The side burner made scrambled eggs while I lightly toasted some tortillas on the grill side. Then I roasted a bunch of jalapenos on the grill side for poppers that evening.

I really like it.

The only downside is that it's hard to use a pan of any significant size on the left-hand burner with the windshield up. But I tend to solo, so my cookware is small enough to fit.

You can refill the small 1lb gas canisters from a large propane tank with a simple adapter you can find at Harbor Freight or a dozen other places.

BMonday

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Have you guys ever seen a heavy duty ballistic nylon bag for the style of stove pictured above? I would like something like that

brentbba

Explorer
I've had the older model of that same Coleman stove for several years. IMHO the grill/griddle side is USELESS. I have the griddle where the grill goes too. Both the grill an griddle heat very unevenly. As has been pointed out, anything much larger than a coffee pot won't fit on the burner side. I WOULD NOT purchase one like this again given the choice. I'd go with the plain jane two burner. In fact, I now use a 3 burner Camp Chef. Yes, it's huge, but it's great! I have a griddle that covers two burners and the grill that covers two burners as well. Both work excellent! BTU's on those burners are about 3x that of the basic Coleman. It runs straight from your 5 gallon propane tank. Overkill if you are cooking for one or two tho.

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Those look really nice. I'm actually in the market for a new grill...mine made its last meal on our last trip...RIP

luckyrxc

Observer
got one

I have that stove. I would prefer to have a dual burner stove and carry a skillet or griddle instead of the grill side.
Just my .02.

Grizzlybait

Have you guys ever seen a heavy duty ballistic nylon bag for the style of stove pictured above? I would like something like that

Coleman makes a heavy duty vinyl case. Have a look on their website for a picture. The part number is 2000001832.

Be careful when you buy it. There is another case that looks almost identical, which I bought the first time by mistake. It is actually very slightly smaller -- just enough that the stove doesn't quite fit. That confused me until I figured out I had picked up the wrong one. Look for the one that includes the model # of this stove, "9922". Who knew?

It's a little expensive for what it is. I think I paid around CAD$30 for it. The drawstring things broke on one propane bottle pockets, so don't reef on it.

Other than that, it's a very nice stove.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Late to this thread. I have the stove pictured and I love it. Yes, the heat is somewhat uneven, but I have managed to work with it. You just have to pay attention to the cooking, flip and move it around. I just love being able to barbeque and cook all in one unit. I also have the griddle which does a decent job on pancakes. Again, you have to pay attention. I think the secret is lower heat settings, and give it time to warm up. The only disadvantage to it that I have found is cleaning out the grill side.

I bought a generic duffel bag for it, it fits the stove as well as my pots, pans and some other things.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I have that very stove, and love it. Used is this past weekend. The side burner made scrambled eggs while I lightly toasted some tortillas on the grill side. Then I roasted a bunch of jalapenos on the grill side for poppers that evening.

I really like it.

The only downside is that it's hard to use a pan of any significant size on the left-hand burner with the windshield up. But I tend to solo, so my cookware is small enough to fit.

You can refill the small 1lb gas canisters from a large propane tank with a simple adapter you can find at Harbor Freight or a dozen other places.

BMonday

Dude you might want to reconsider those tortillas on the grill side and roasted bunch of jalapenos after reading the Forest Service Advisory in the thread below!!!
:costumed-smiley-007:ar15:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31306

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles