Selling Strategy - some thoughts

Michael Slade

Untitled
So, I'm ready to put the Crew Cab back on the auction block...again...and have been thinking of 'interesting' ways to price it.

Here's one I've been thinking of. Let me know what you guys think.

Start at price...X
Every week, Monday morning, lower the price 1,000 dollars.
Repeat each consecutive Monday, lowering the price again by 1,000 dollars.
Eventually sell truck.

Yes I figured out the vapor lock problem. It was a combo of bad 85 octane cheap-*** gas, and a clogged fuel filter. :Wow1:

Scott Brady

Founder
Not a good plan amigo. . . ;) Then, everyone considering buying your truck will know the price is going to drop next Monday AND, it shows you have a bottom, a price maybe 10k or more lower than your starting price.

Just list it for what is fair, and takes into consideration the current economy, and then be patient for that unique buyer.

It is a unique truck, which will require a unique buyer. Just keep it for sale and it will go at the right price.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Michael,

How about E-bay so you reach a larger market. There are Ebay scammers but I also believe there are alot of good people out there looking for specialty vehicles and that is a great avenue to do so.

I don't think lowering the price like that is the right way to go about it...

Best of luck on the sale.

greg mgm

Explorer
I just sold 2 items- A truck camper and a manx style dune buggy.
I wanted them gone....so I priced them as low as I could without killing me. The camper sold right away, and the buggy sold in a month.

I came down on the buggy price but didn't budge on the camper. So my opinion is pricing makes all the difference if you want the items gone. If you can wait, then eventually the right buyer will come along.

Your plan will definitely work if you want it gone soon.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Michael, any thoughts on ebay? 2 or 3 rounds there might do the trick, maybe...

Will be sad to see it go. Of course the Rover purists are probably resistant to the 350. I for one would welcome it :)

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Price it fairly and don't short change yourself.
You know what it's worth, minus any emotional value, so patience for the right buyer will be key. If it's not costing you anything to own it now then it will be worth waiting to sell it at its value.

Brian

BlackX

Adventurer
That's a strategy many are using in real estate right now. Certainly it causes some people to wait and watch the price drop but at some point it will get cheap enough that someone will pounce on it quickly before another potential buyer. It just all depends on how much of a hurry you're in.

Esmi

Explorer
I don't even know what you're selling, but if I were buying I would find it hard to resist waiting just one more week to see if I might save some more . . .

(My sales sense is that you want give people incentive to BUY NOW, where as your plan seems to offer incentives to WAIT.)

So I concur with the others who think a Swiss Auction (Portugese Auction?) probably isn't the right method for generating a sale.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I say implement a random surcharge anywhere between -$2k and +$2k. Someone has to click "buy" when they think it is a low #.

SCRover

Adventurer
my bro and i went through a similar situation with a property that had been in the family for 130+ years and to which we had tremendous emotional attachment and sense of obligation (to keep it). it took us about 18 months to agree to sell it - our reasons: not enough use and too much money to keep it up given that lack of use.

we originally placed the house on the MLS at a particular price and then found out quickly that we were kidding ourselves given the market. i know real estate is different from car-buying, but the property, like your truck, is very unique. after a few months, we decided that it was either drop the price or look at other options (we did check out renting it, but that was a joke).

our agents employed an ebay-like bidding model. the first few bids were major low-ballers, but as the price rose, those with serious interest got in on it. after the two-week bidding time frame expired, we had two reasonable offers. we were able to play one off the other a bit and were able to increase the sales price slightly. the family who purchased were simply tailor-made for the property.

i may be going overboard here, but i think one gets the picture. the biggest thing is to decide whether it's worth more to you to keep the truck or sell it. if you decide to sell, you must put your emotions aside (obvious, but easier said than done) and come up with the lowest reasonable number you think you can stomach. in the end, you will find the right buyer, and you will know this when it happens. they will be ecstatic about a very unique vehicle and the money you make from the sale will (1) not keep you up that night kicking yourself and (2) will finance the next rover chapter in your life.

i, for one, have ogled the truck since before you decided to sell, but it simply doesn't suit my needs (right now, anyway). listen to the other guys - have patience, faith and check your emotions at the door.

good luck!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles