mv 50 compressor repair/mod

former520

Observer
My little compressor fell from the engine bay to the ground and broke off the barb for the air line. I have removed the the broken part from the head of the pump, but cannot find a fitting that works.

Does anyone know what I need to replace it, or what I need to do to make it work with regular air fittings? I noticed the hose doesn't work with any of the stuff around the garage.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
My little compressor fell from the engine bay to the ground and broke off the barb for the air line. I have removed the the broken part from the head of the pump, but cannot find a fitting that works.

Does anyone know what I need to replace it, or what I need to do to make it work with regular air fittings? I noticed the hose doesn't work with any of the stuff around the garage.

I believe it's a metric thread & metric fitting.

You can probably find a replacement through McMaster Carr or rethread the hole and put in SAE fittings and replace the fittings on the hose.:victory:

pray4surf

Explorer
Drill out the hole with a 7/16" bit (IIR), thread it with a 1/4" NPT tap and use standard air fittings....

I did this with mine so I could use standard airline fittings - I carry an MV-50 as a backup, just in case my Viair decides to go south (Not that I expect it will)

Also - Here's a thread from TTORA regarding porting these type of compressors for better efficiency

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124090

And some good info in this thread... though I suggest you start at the last post and read backwards
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12467

I could take some pics later if you're interested...

Edited: I have the 1/4" NPT tap if anyone near me (San Diego) needs to borrow it

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The fitting used on mine I found on Mcmaster. It is a Japanese standard fitting and shouldn't be too difficult to track down if all you want to do is get it functioning again.

Now I'm off to read the porting thread......
:sombrero:

bat

Explorer
Just a side note on the MV50 check your head studs they can be loose from the factory

DaveM

Explorer
I just picked one of these up and found that the supplied air hose chuck does not fit the nozzle. Nozzle is 1/2" in diameter at its widest, chuck is 1/16 under 1/2" inside diameter. Annoying.

Heimz

Observer
Just FYI from my own experience, dont let the compressor sit on loose gravel, dirt, or sand. Debris will get inbetween the grill slats on the body and work its way into the bottom of the crank (its open to the air). I had sand come up through the piston ring and get seated in the valve, not letting it work right.

Wasnt my filter (they stock ones are trash), I had a closed element on at the time.

Theyre real easy to take apart and clean up though!

And I converted mine over to standard air couplers too.

DaveM

Explorer
I'm re-tapping the outlet on my MV50 to take a standard 1/4 npt quick connect nozzle. 1/4 refers to the line size obviously, no the thread size, so does anyone know off the top of their head what tap size I need to rethread for that nozzle? Do I just measure the OD of the threads on my nozzle?

Heimz

Observer
Drill the original hole out to 7/16" then tap it with a 1/4" NPT pipe tap. You can then use any 1/4" NPT pipe fitting and coupling/connector. 1/4" refers to the nominal size, not the true dimensions- pipe is silly like that.

DaveM

Explorer
Drill the original hole out to 7/16" then tap it with a 1/4" NPT pipe tap. You can then use any 1/4" NPT pipe fitting and coupling/connector. 1/4" refers to the nominal size, not the true dimensions- pipe is silly like that.

Thanks, I figured this out today while looking at the taps in the hardware store. I assumed that although the thread was 1/4 npt the tap might by labeled by it's OD. It worked out ok and I know have a proper fitting on my MV50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier