Proffitts Cruisers Diesel Conversion.

texas taco

Adventurer
I have been throwing around the idea of selling the Tacoma and acquiring an 80 Series Land Cruiser to ship to Proffitts and get the 4 BT conversion. The conversion comes with a Slee 6" lift, a new 4BT, a reman NV 4500 tranny, and a(I think) 60 series T case. The conversion is around 20K. Here is my logic.. 3 to 4 thousand for a clean 80 with a bad motor plus the about 25 thousand for the conversion and I would have an incredible platform for around 28k. That is still cheaper than a new vehicle that meet my criteria.
My concerns are : Fit and finish
true reliability
how well the drive train holds up to diesel torque and
tranny gearing
and noise , but not real picky

I have had highly modified jeeps and i got out of it do to reliability after all the mods.
One side of me says full conversion-- Problems, While the other side of me say--that I would own a "pinnacle" overland vehicle with a proven diesel and tranny in it with no miles..
Has any one let them do this conversion? Especially in an 80 series.

texas taco

Adventurer
That looks like a sweet rig. Do you know why he is selling it. Haven, the reason behind this is to have a vehicle with mechanically low miles, and easily sourced parts. Thanks for the link though..
That green one is real nice , but it is an auto and has a refurbished motor. But thanks again none the less..

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Hi there Texas Taco... We had a big thread all about 4BTs pretty recently if you search. I'm a big fan, I also own the 4BTswaps.com community and am installing another one shortly. That said they are awesome but it is a loud engine. If you search it's all covered there again just in the last month or two... Post the link when you find it.

cheers,
Andre

BlueHZT60

Adventurer
There are a lot of options out there. I'm pretty darn happy with my Toyota diesel (after working out some bugs). I've been just driving the heck out of it fro over 3 years, 30,000 miles now without an engine issue.

Toyota: 1HZ, 12HT, 1HDT, 1PZ. There is lots of information available on the IH8MUD site. There's a guy in Portland OR that does these transplants also - with a good track record. DieselCruiserHead has been documenting diesel swaps for a long time now and has a lot of first hand experience with the amount of work, cost and results.

There is also the GM6.2l diesel, Range Rover-IH diesel, Mercedes all kind of in the works or available.

I have been throwing around the idea of selling the Tacoma and acquiring an 80 Series Land Cruiser to ship to Proffitts and get the 4 BT conversion. The conversion comes with a Slee 6" lift, a new 4BT, a reman NV 4500 tranny, and a(I think) 60 series T case. The conversion is around 20K. Here is my logic.. 3 to 4 thousand for a clean 80 with a bad motor plus the about 25 thousand for the conversion and I would have an incredible platform for around 28k. That is still cheaper than a new vehicle that meet my criteria.
My concerns are : Fit and finish
true reliability
how well the drive train holds up to diesel torque and
tranny gearing
and noise , but not real picky

davegonz

Explorer
That looks like a sweet rig. Do you know why he is selling it. Haven, the reason behind this is to have a vehicle with mechanically low miles, and easily sourced parts. Thanks for the link though..
That green one is real nice , but it is an auto and has a refurbished motor. But thanks again none the less..

They are expecting their first kiddo and this truck was going to be the wife's daily driver. It is too tall for her and the lift would make it really difficult for her to reach in and place the baby in the infant carrier. They ended up buying a 100 for her.

Andre, this is John's (Proffitt's Cruisers) former truck. He built it specifically for his wife.

emblu.denslob

so yeah - the 91 4BTFJ80 is still available, it's a beast of a rig. I don't really want to get rid of it - but it is financially the most responsible thing for me and my future family.

It's been my DD and gets 16mpg city. I haven't driven the highway much so I can't really give an accurate mpg calc for it but my prediction is that it's around 18.

That being said texastaco - I believe that all Proffitt's 4bt conversion use factory rebuilt cummins engines. If that's not correct then I suck.
PM me if you have questions.
thanks

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
They are expecting their first kiddo and this truck was going to be the wife's daily driver. It is too tall for her and the lift would make it really difficult for her to reach in and place the baby in the infant carrier. They ended up buying a 100 for her.

Andre, this is John's (Proffitt's Cruisers) former truck. He built it specifically for his wife.

That's funny......well, not really........ but that is the exact same reason why we got rid of it. My wife loved the 80 until she was 8 months pregnant and could no longer get into it w/out my help. Being 5'2" and 40lbs heavier, she could not physically get into it. She even tried to drive it after the baby was born and she had a difficult time getting the infant carrier into the Cruiser. We came to the conclusion that the 80 was not going to work and it had to go.

For what it is worth, this is a great 80 series and a helluva bargain. At times, I wish we still had it. Unfortunately, it just does not suit my family's needs any more.

Heath: I'll keep sending interested paties your way.

Justin: I sent you an estimate via email. Let me know if you got it and if you have any questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles