Good choice on solar panel?

DrJohn

Observer
I was thinking of buying this Sunforce 60W solar panel ($270 plus $60 shipping).

Would this be a good deal for running my ARB fridge/freezer while camping?

Also, what other parts would I need to make this happen? I assume charge controller is in order to prevent overcharging. Anything else?

Thanks in advance,

John

EDIT: it looks like Amazon is running a better deal: $286 with free shipping

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Panel and controller is all that I use...

Looking at your Amazon add I have seen that system in person and the panels are light duty you want something with a solid frame.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Is there any risk of overcharging?

How do you like yours?

Controller prevents overcharging.

Search...My system is post in a couple places.

Great results multiple days in Mexico 140* inside cab temp, 33* frig temp Land Cruiser starts without hesitation after a couple days.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I don't know about ebay, but

I have a 60 watt SUNFORCE panel I bought years ago from Northerntool, with a REQUIRED 7 amp controller

I was thinking of buying this Sunforce 60W solar panel ($270 plus $60 shipping).

Also, what other parts would I need to make this happen? I assume charge controller is in order to prevent overcharging. Anything else?

Thanks in advance,

John

I've used it for two summers and all thats required is DIRECT SUNLIGHT, no shadow-it will handle ARB/ENGEL coolers easy

IMGP0652-1.jpg

You've gotta have the controller, to regulate the charging voltage down to less than 14 volts DC, cause the panel will generate up to 23+ volts (12v panel)

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

DrJohn

Observer
:sombrero: I don't know about ebay, but

I have a 60 watt SUNFORCE panel I bought years ago from Northerntool, with a REQUIRED 7 amp controller

I've used it for two summers and all thats required is DIRECT SUNLIGHT, no shadow-it will handle ARB/ENGEL coolers easy

You've gotta have the controller, to regulate the charging voltage down to less than 14 volts DC, cause the panel will generate up to 23+ volts (12v panel)

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Looks like a great setup!

It looks like the kit already comes with a a 7-Amp solar charge controller - I missed that on on the ebay site, but Amazon looks like the place to buy.

DrJohn

Observer
Controller prevents overcharging.

Search...My system is post in a couple places.

Great results multiple days in Mexico 140* inside cab temp, 33* frig temp Land Cruiser starts without hesitation after a couple days.

Very nice - this is looking more and more like a viable option.

discotdi

Adventurer
walmart online is selling Coleman branded solar panels for $69-$109 depending on the size. a coleman controller is $22. says it comes with 10 feet of cable to connect to battery or a cigarette adapter. seems like a good price. all I want to do is keep my yellowtop charged while using my Engel on weekend trips. Anyone have any experience with these? Seems pretty inexpensive.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Look at the wiring that comes with those Sunforce panels :(

It looks smaller than cheap speaker wire!

I knew a fellow fulltimer that went out and bought a set of these and took them back within the first week because he said they couldnt keep his batteries charged.

Maybe if only charging one battery and you had a full day of sunlight, they might work, but like the saying goes, if its too good to be true

teotwaki

Excelsior!

Thanks in advance,

John

That is a lot of surface area for only 60 Watts. Why not buy just one good quality panel that will deliver 60 Watts and save yourself some room in the vehicle?

http://cgi.ebay.com/60-Watt-Solar-P...in_0?hash=item3355283be9&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles