Intro - Ford Excursion ExPo Style

D

Deleted member 9101

Now thats a expo truck. I am a big fan of a bring able to comfortably carry everything you want,tow what you need and still have plenty of power to spare.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Very nice looking truck! I just got my Excursion 2 weeks ago, though it was unmodded. I couldn't talk the wife into anything too radical... yet. Looks like I'm going to have to work her up to the idea of lifting it. Just threw some stock size MT/Rs on it yesterday and looking at options for some shocks, as the stock ones are a POS and worn completely out.

Congrats on the purchase! Looking forward to seeing it in action in the completed adventures section!

Talk to Cary on Thedieselstop for shocks. He can order them with a spec'd valving. I put on the 5100s along with the V/U Springs up front and F-codes in the back. Also bolted on the rear swaybar from a newer model. Made a night and day difference. The shocks will run about 400 shipped. The springs and swaybar about 700ish. It made for about a 2.5in lift.

AZJP

Observer
Slider pics as requested by TreeTopFlyer

Front of the passenger side:

slider1.jpg

From the middle of the passenger side looking back:

slider2.jpg

TreeTopFlyer- We had just arrived in the area the day you saw us. We camped just up the road in Yankee Boy Basin. Over the next few days, we did most of the trails there. Imogene pass was great! I didn't see your Excursion that day... I met some other ExPo members that week as well.

AZJP

Observer
Here are the Smittybilt MOLLE Seat Organizers.

They fit the backs of Excursion seats really well. I do not use the part that covers the bottoms of the seats - I just tucked those up in the back. Tons of room for gear. The Excursion has so much leg room, it doesn't make too much of a difference.

Driver Side / Passenger Side

molle.jpg

The pouches are all designed with military purposes in mind, but they work just fine for my stuff:

Frag Grenade Pouches = tennis balls for the dogs
Gas Mask Pouch = Rain Coat
Shotgun Shell Pouch = Hotwheels
Magazine Dump Pouch = Kid's DVDs
Rip Away Medic Pouch = First Aid Kit!

I also store the tools I need quick access to: Sway bar disconnect tools and air hose/tire deflators/pressure gauge.

Last edited:

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Thanks for the slider pics. Pretty much what I had in mind. Just gotta make sure the braces to the frame clear my air and water tanks.

AZJP

Observer
JamesDowning - No way we are just keeping this thing on the 'open road'. This is our family offroad adventure vehicle. Last month we did the San Juans in Colorado for a week. Next month we are planning on visiting some of the more remote, lesser traveled areas of Southern Utah. El Camino Del Diablo is also a short trip on our to do list.

johnnyrover - Ha ha - it was never 'for sale'. A few months ago, I was planning an Ex build up and I loved the way this one was barely lifted, yet had 40" tires. I was asking the owner a bunch of questions about the truck and he finally said he was toying with the idea of selling, but no one would pay as much as he needed to get out of it. I said, 'try me' since I was going to build up the exact same truck anyway. It ended up saving me some money over building myself, although this truck does have almost 158k miles! No prob for the 7.3L, but I'm paying special attention to the other parts (and of course keeping tools and even spare parts on board).

AZJP

Observer
MojaveGSA - Nice looking Ex you got there! Very clean. Now start the mods!

Here is a pic of the Ex I sold a few years ago. It was an '04 6.0L with 35" tires. I love these trucks!

exsmall.jpg

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
With that BTS tranny, your rig is bulletproof. At least I think that is what it has in it. Post up pics from the Utah trip when you guys get back. I think our next trip is gonna be Big Bend in the Fall.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Here is a funny photo of your new rig compared to mine. My little 6,000 pound 7 seater looks tiny by comparison!

Comparison.jpg

note: my particular LR3 is not a 7 seater, but the vehicle in general can be configured this waqy, and gives a good idea of scale

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne