Dynamat to quiet a diesel

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Had a complete Dynamat install done today on my F350 SD. Doors, floor, roof, hood, and back of the cab. I does sound better even though the db level is only slightly less than before. There seems to be less ambient high-frequency noise.

Gauges tomorrow. Then tires.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I've heard the surgical tubing mod works wonders and I'm going to try that soon on my truck along with Dynamat. For those wondering its where you make a small cut in the bottom corner of the door seal, then insert surgical tubing & feed it through the hole in the middle of the door seal all the way around. The theory it is makes the door seal thicker and it seals better, eliminating the outside noise. Those that have tried it on the diesel boards say its a huge difference inside the cab & its cheap to do.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
If you google "sound deadener showdown" skip to the end (unless you want to read all the tests and research), there are better quality deadeners at slightly cheaper prices... I believe the conclusion is RAAM something aruther -- what I plan to use. It does work...

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I've heard the surgical tubing mod works wonders and I'm going to try that soon on my truck along with Dynamat. For those wondering its where you make a small cut in the bottom corner of the door seal, then insert surgical tubing & feed it through the hole in the middle of the door seal all the way around. The theory it is makes the door seal thicker and it seals better, eliminating the outside noise. Those that have tried it on the diesel boards say its a huge difference inside the cab & its cheap to do.

I did the surgical tubing mod to my 4 door truck. After a while I removed it from the rear doors, because it made the rear doors harder to shut. I left it in the front doors, maybe a small improvement.

I hear it does a better job of controlling the noise in the extra cab trucks.

I want to try sound-deadening to my truck also. I used some other stuff on my wife's little car, wasn't that impressed, didn't really notice an improvement. I was hoping the dynamat would be better. Not sure what I am going to do.

Jack

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
My truck has Dynamat EVERYWHERE in the crew cab. Inside door panels and door skins, headliner, rear cab wall, and floor with extra 1/2" of the foam matting that Dynamat makes. Took two guys all day to install.

Results are as above, and audio and conversation is a lot clearer. Sound levels went from 86 - 94 db (at 70 mph on smooth freeway) to 84-88 db. Most sound is now coming through the windows, windscreen and from the dash, which we did not pull. Mostly tire noise and wind from the tow mirrors. We did do the hood and replaced the factory hood liner. A noticeable, but not dramatic, difference.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
My truck has Dynamat EVERYWHERE in the crew cab. Inside door panels and door skins, headliner, rear cab wall, and floor with extra 1/2" of the foam matting that Dynamat makes. Took two guys all day to install.

Results are as above, and audio and conversation is a lot clearer. Sound levels went from 86 - 94 db (at 70 mph on smooth freeway) to 84-88 db. Most sound is now coming through the windows, windscreen and from the dash, which we did not pull. Mostly tire noise and wind from the tow mirrors. We did do the hood and replaced the factory hood liner. A noticeable, but not dramatic, difference.

Mike: Did you use Dynamat Extreme or regular Dynamat?

FYI...a little late for your project, but here is a good resource for others wondering/wanting to do this:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles